Oxygen MTB 13AH lateral play in rear cassette

rdgoforth

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 16, 2015
I guessing there shouldn't be this much play on my rear cassette. What do I need to do to tighten it up.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You have to make the vid public as was mentioned to me yesterday, at the mo it is set as private.

rdgoforth

May 16, 2015
I,m sure I set it as unlisted i.e. any one with link can view. Let me double check.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it seems that your lockring is undone. If this is not the case, then look for a missing spacer. The cassette adapter on the motor side is made for a 9-speed, you have 8-speed, you need a spacer.

Last edited:

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
Looks like a 9 speed cassette (same as on my oxydrive CST motor) so ensure the lock ring is tightened up as Trex says.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that depends on the make of your cassette.

rdgoforth

May 16, 2015
Its a shimano cassette so I had a trip to halfords and got a lock ring tool. Took the back wheel off and had a go at tighning lock ring. The tool turns making a clicking noise but nothing is getting any tighter. Here's another vid.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
That second video is concerning. if the cassette was tight before and now it's not, the thread on the cassette adapter may have gone. Use the lockring tool to undo the lockring and remove the cassette to check the state of the thread.

rdgoforth

May 16, 2015
I've not got a chain whip so couldn't undo. Apnother trip to halfords tomorrow.
Or maybe I should leave well alone and take it back to at SYEBC its only 3 months old and I,be only done 250 miles. It may have always been like this maybe asemmbled wrong or part spacer missing.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
You can use an old rag in place of a chain whip if you wrap it around and hold it tight.

Last edited:

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
I would give this to the lbs. I had exactly the same problem with the same motor and he fitted two spacers and redid the tension on the lockring. Sorted. Lateral play means simply that there isn't a tense grip between the motor, the column of spacers/cogs, and the lockring, which can come from insufficient spacers, I've got about 4mm on mine.

Spacers and tools can cost a lot but my lbs charged me £2 all in and it took him about 90 seconds.

rdgoforth

May 16, 2015
I'm going to fit the wheel back on the bike and take it to oxygen on friday on my day off. They are only round the corner from me and the bike is only 50 miles off their complimentary 300 mile service and tune up anyway. It will give me time to service the new tandem tag alone I found on eBay.

rdgoforth

May 16, 2015
All fixed and working again. A big thank you to SYEBC who sorted this out for me today. This problem looks to be one of my own making and I've not tighten things up properly the last time had it in in bits. I'm very lucky I didn't damage anything trying to tighten the lock ring which was already tight. Morel of the story don't mess when you don't know what your doing.

Reactions: baldylox