Oxygen S-Cross CB or Wisper 905 torque mk2.

MrCh00

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 15, 2018
Lincolnshire
Hi all. I’m new to the world of electric bikes, I have been searching for bikes around the £1000-£1500 mark and I have kinda narrowed it down to these 2 bikes.
My commute to work is between 7 or 8 miles round trip with a hill.
I currently use a Boardman MTB but I would like try out a electric bike. I never knew searching for a new one would give me such I headache. I thought I found the one I wanted in the Oxygen S-Cross MTB then I realised I don’t go off road so I than choose the CB version then I heard good things about the Wisper 905 torque mk2.
I have found they are both about the same price.
Please help me to decide in your opinion which is the better bike?
Many thanks all.
Jimmy.

Solarstorm

Jul 22, 2018
Having tried both I would say the Oxygen is a bit more sporty and the Wisper is a bit more comfortable.

The Wisper torque uses a torque sensor which gives a more natural feeling to the assistance, however it isn't as natural feeling as a lot of the crank drive driven bikes which tend to cost a lot more.

Both have a fair number of fans, so I think you should be fine with either. I ended up with the Wisper in the end myself as despite initially wanting a sporty ride, found out I actually quite liked the comfort!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Wisper is the better built and very sturdy, they have a very good rep in the ebike world esp on here. Batteries tend to have more capacity then the Oxygen, both are different and as mentioned are for slightly different terrain.
If possible try a test ride on both to see which you are happier with. Both have dealers/outlets around the country so you should be able to try one near you.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

MrCh00

Aug 15, 2018
Lincolnshire
Thanks for the replies. I’m trying the Oxygen bike next week. The Wisper is more harder to get hold off as I cannot find anyone with one. The closest Wisper bike I can try is the 905 SE.
I’m more leaning towards the Wisper 905 Torque and correct me if I’m wrong is the torque sensor better than the cadence which I believe the Oxygen has for going up hills and such?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the torque sensor is not as good as the cadence sensor for hills. The torque sensor remains a muliplier, you need to keep a high cadence and high pedal pressure to get more motor power. The cadence sensor gives you more power if you keep the cadence high.
The best for hills could well be the throttle which lets you use all the power of the motor and lets you pedal as much or little as you like.
For bikes with geared hub motors, you climb more easily with smaller wheels. Those are general observations, you need to look at specifics on each bike to make the comparison. Motor size, reduction ratio and controller ratings are more important factors. The Oxygen has larger motor but the Wisper has higher reduction ratio. If I remember correctly, the Wisper has 17A controller while the Oxygen has 15A controller. Both can be fitted with a full throttle. I'd say the Wisper would edge it on hills.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Wisper use the high torque Akiema hub, the Q128c is a copy or a rebranded Akiema. The torque marque bikes have a dual sensor drive and have cadence sensor mode F on the handle bar controller, how much power it provides in this mode only David from Wisper or another user can tell us.

Oxygen uses a heavier Bafang cst hub, opinions will differ though from mine the Bafang is the better.

Reactions: Topdog206

MrCh00

Aug 15, 2018
Lincolnshire
the torque sensor is not as good as the cadence sensor for hills. The torque sensor remains a muliplier, you need to keep a high cadence and high pedal pressure to get more motor power. The cadence sensor gives you more power if you keep the cadence high.
The best for hills could well be the throttle which lets you use all the power of the motor and lets you pedal as much or little as you like.
For bikes with geared hub motors, you climb more easily with smaller wheels. Those are general observations, you need to look at specifics on each bike to make the comparison. Motor size, reduction ratio and controller ratings are more important factors. The Oxygen has larger motor but the Wisper has higher reduction ratio. If I remember correctly, the Wisper has 17A controller while the Oxygen has 15A controller. Both can be fitted with a full throttle. I'd say the Wisper would edge it on hills.
Thanks for the explanation. I just thought with a cadence sensor it would be harder to start up again if you had to stop mid way up the hill as you would need to give the pedals a few turns before the motor would kick in.
I think both the Oxygen and Wisper has a throttle.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Thanks for the explanation. I just thought with a cadence sensor it would be harder to start up again if you had to stop mid way up the hill as you would need to give the pedals a few turns before the motor would kick in.
No a certain number of magnets need to pass in front of the sensor and on mine that is 2 so less than 1/4 of a revolution (12 magnet disk). A BBS0x or GSM has even more magnets so it is almost instant.

MrCh00

Aug 15, 2018
Lincolnshire
No a certain number of magnets need to pass in front of the sensor and on mine that is 2 so less than 1/4 of a revolution (12 magnet disk). A BBS0x or GSM has even more magnets so it is almost instant.

Thanks for that. It certainly cleared a few things up. I just wish it wasn’t so hard to pick a bike.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
the easy thing to do with the oxygen is tp fit the supplied throttle (easy) and then when starting off on hills just use it to get wheels turning. Really simple

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
With a Wisper Torque bike, uniquely you can click between torque sensor and cadence sensor on the handle bar settings or just use the throttle.

Best of all worlds?

Just saying!

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

MrCh00

Aug 15, 2018
Lincolnshire
With a Wisper Torque bike, uniquely you can click between torque sensor and cadence sensor on the handle bar settings or just use the throttle.

Best of all worlds?

Just saying!
That’s interesting. I’m leaning more to the Wisper torque atm.
It’s priced reasonably too at the e-bikesdirect website.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

MrCh00

Aug 15, 2018
Lincolnshire
They have some good deals at the moment, they bought a bunch of bikes pre price increase and are selling them through at the old price.
I see, that’s why they are cheaper than anywhere else I have looked.
Now I wonder if can get someone to price match them........

Last edited: