Oxygen S-Cross CB

SteveMcG

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2016
Inverness
After some time lurking in the forum and then posting my requirements, I decided to opt for a prebuilt eBike from Oxygen.

Thanks to all the posters who helped me decide what suited my needs.

I thought a review might help others in the market for a bike to commute to work with.

My bike arrived a couple of days ago (dispached Monday late afternoon and with me in the Highlands Tues afternoon - almost as fast as the bike! Many thanks to http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk).

Very well packed so in perfect condition. Setup was simple, attach pedals, straighten handle bar and charge for a couple of hours (couldn't find charge point at first - note for others, its at bottom of battery under a protective rubber flap). The bike is nicely designed and the battery and components are integrated well into the bike.

Once charged she was good to go. She is a real beauty (my nephew gave it an 11 out of 10!), sleek and a lovely mat black with red stripes, definitely heavier than a normal bike but that doesn't matter once you are away.

I had a few questions before purchase and John the guy who owns Oxygen, called me in person. I also had a post purchase question and emailed John who responded straight back, well after hours - very impressed with the customer service.

So I have had a couple days of going to work and back - only a few miles each way, but with a heavily laiden pannier. This bike without doubt removes the pain from the ride. I am back to enjoying cycling again, in fact I had to nip home for a forgotten item today and I planned on returning with the car, but as I enjoyed the ride back to the house I decided to stick with the bike! I even did a small shop from Tesco last night using the bike, something I would never have done before due to the steep hill in the way.

So in summary I love my new bike - lots of fun and unlimited pleasure!

Attachments

Last edited:

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
Glad you're enjoying the new bike SteveMcG. She is indeed a beauty.

Agree with you 100% about the excellent service from John at Oxygen. My Oxygen Diva was purchased 3 years ago so is well out of warranty. It's a fantastic bike but recently the power had started cutting out and John was more than happy to help. He pinned it down to the battery, ran tests on it for free that revealed it was finished & then offered a replacement for half the usual price as a goodwill gesture. The battery had declined mainly due to my lack of use & attention, especially in the last year. Oxygen had no obligation whatsoever at this point. So, yes, very impressive service.

Anyway, have fun on the S-Cross!

Reactions: Mike63

SteveMcG

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2016
Inverness
Thanks Cricket, I am still enjoying it. Had a few more queries and John answered immediately. Very happy so far. Quite a few people have had a shot and they all come back with a big smile.

Ping me in a few weeks and I will answer any queries you have Mike, but so far this had made me ditch the car to work which is what I was after.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Steve....do you find the cable brakes adequate ?
.....Is it reasonably quiet ?
.....cheers....Mike

SteveMcG

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2016
Inverness
Breaks are fine and yes its pretty quiet.
In fact until you mention noise I hadn't considered it I will pay more attn tomorrow, but I would go so far as to say its no more noisy than a normal bike.

SteveMcG

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2016
Inverness
Ok, I paid more attention this morning, it does make a very quiet whir/hum like a very quiet tram, not anything that would bother you I would imagine. Hope that helps.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Cheers Steve... .for the previous couple of years I have been riding a crank drive bike which is totally silent, prior to that I was riding hub drive bikes and I found them to be extremely noisy, the hum did annoy me.
....Just gonna have to find out for myself :))
.....thanks.....Mike

SteveMcG

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2016
Inverness
I like listening to radio but still want to hear external noise for safety so I use these. I too am pretty fussy about noise, but have had no issues with this bike. Best of luck!