Oxygen Scross MTB ongoing review

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Ive found the one I bought before, it was an 11-32t

However, Im thinking its not the cassette...its maybe the freehub inside it, as that is the part that connects the cassette to the wheel...

D

Deleted member 4366

First day back on the bike today after a week off.

Strange gridning sound coming ffrom the back somewhere, sounded like teeth or gears grating.
A few yards later, Im peddaling, but no movement apart from the pedal assist. Gears changing okay, but the cassette freewheeling, so looks like thats buggered.
Not the original one as I had changed it maybe 1000 miles or more ago.
I cant remember if its 11-34 or 11-32T

It was kind of nice riding the 1.5 miles back on throttle to get my car though....
Possibly, you got salty water in the spline assembly and the pawls are stuck because of light rust. A good squirt of 3 in 1 should sort it out.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Possibly, you got salty water in the spline assembly and the pawls are stuck because of light rust. A good squirt of 3 in 1 should sort it out.
Thanks D8veh
Ill remove the cassette when I get home and try and get inside it

D

Deleted member 4366

You can't easily get to the freewheel mechanism. Before doing anything, try copious amounts of 3 in 1 or, better still, penetrating oil down the back of the cassette. If it comes back to life, switch to gear oil (hypoid 80), then oil it regularly, especially in the winter.

That's for the cassette version on the MTB. If you have the City version, the freewheel is part of the cassette and the oil has to go in down the axle with the bike on its side.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
You can't easily get to the freewheel mechanism. Before doing anything, try copious amounts of 3 in 1 or, better still, penetrating oil down the back of the cassette. If it comes back to life, switch to gear oil (hypoid 80), then oil it regularly, especially in the winter.

That's for the cassette version on the MTB. If you have the City version, the freewheel is part of the cassette and the oil has to go in down the axle with the bike on its side.
Ok thanks...no point removing the cassette then?
Can see this turning out to be a pain in the ****

D

Deleted member 4366

Ok thanks...no point removing the cassette then?
Can see this turning out to be a pain in the ****
Not necessarily. I can't remember if it was Awol or somebody else that had the same problem on a MXUS cassette motor early on in its life. After oiling, it went on to some huge mileage.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Well, it's been a long day.

Squirted a load of 3 in 1 followed by some degreaser on to the back of the cassette.
Went round the block, it was okay at first but soon packed up again.

Spoke on the phone with oxygen, they suggested taking it off and cleaning it out properly.

Easier said than done.
Half dismantled the motor to find I still couldn't get the bugger off. Managed to get some degreaser down it through the minuscule gap.

Put everything back together, went round the block for a mile or so, and it didn't break. Not at all confident it will last 19 miles to work though.

I'm no expert, but the bearings in it sound like and feel like they are grating.

Waiting to hear back from oxygen, but have no idea where it's going, as the part in question is not stocked, and is usually supplied only with the wheel.

This could spell the end

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I'm a bit confused, Andy, as there aren't any bearings in a cassette, just cogs. Any chance of a photo?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm a bit confused, Andy, as there aren't any bearings in a cassette, just cogs. Any chance of a photo?
the ratchet mechanism is inside the motor cover.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I didn’t take any pics of mine, but this is the exact one....pretty much the same as the one above.

I do know that the flange is under the motor cover. You unscrews the 6 screws and think it just pulls off...but it doesn’t....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Thanks Tony

That’s really informative.
I was heading in the right direction as I guessed that the hub would somehow pull over the shaft, but I couldn’t get the nut that sits recessed in the hub off the shaft....looks like a special tool job to me.

I guess it’s fixable, but probably beyond my confidence level

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it seems to me that the pawls may have been chipped. You can get replacement pawls from your LBS but you have to remove the motor cover to access the ratchet mechanism.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
That would explain the horrible clicking sound just before it packed up.
Had the sound of a mudguard or something similar rubbing the tyre

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

There are several different versions of the free-hub in those Bafang motors. Show a photo of the actual one you have if you can.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Hi D8veh

I can’t really get any better than this until I can work out how to remove it fully..

Related Articles

Advertisers