Oxygen Scross MTB ongoing review

D

Deleted member 4366

When you've removed everything off the axle, like in your second to last photo, you should be able to wiggle the free-hub off. if you get corrosion between the axle and the bearing, it can be a bit tight. As a last resort, tou can remove the six side-plate screws, rotate the side-plate a few degrees, then lever it off with a pair of screwdrivers. Once off, the free-hub should pull off easily. Rotate it while pulling to depress the pawls.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Thanks D8veh

I was about to post how to gt the last piece of the puzzle off, but remembered what Oxygen told me about leveraging with screwdrivers, but i was worried about hitting the motor wiring.

All done now, so, very happy...and pleased that I actually managed to do it.

Thanks for the tips and advice as always.

And a massive thanks to Dale at Oxygen who has helped me out over the phone, and are also sending me a replacement part. I think I would have just abandoned the bike for a while without that help.

Hopefully back on the road again soon :D

D

Deleted member 4366

I found one like yours. Behind the seal is a sleeve nut. the bearing in this one feels a bit rough too, but IIRC, the whole motor was full of salt-water:

20180501_124615.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

I think that the water gets in down the axle. That seal rests on the sleeve nut, so I can't see it being very effective. It's probably just to keep dirt out and they rely on the seals in the bearings to keep water out. I think I'd take the opportunity to replace the bearing with a known good quality one. It's a 6901RS on the outside. You can tap it out with a hammer and screwdriver. My inner one feels dodgy too, but I can't tap it out because it has a slightly larger inner diameter than the guide tube that's between them. It's a 6902RS. I guess that the sleeve nut holds the guide tube in place as well as holding the free-hub together.

Note that RS bearings are sometimes designated RS with a seal only on one side and they sometimes use 1RS and 2RS to differentiate. You need 6901 2RS, but a 6901RS can also have two seals, so check.

https://fasteddybearings.glopal.com/en-GB/p-111/12x24x6-ceramic-rubber-sealed-bearing-6901-rs.html?utm_source=www.fasteddybearings.com&utm_medium=pr&utm_campaign=en_US

these people have both the 6901 and 6902 in ceramic:
http://www.wychbearings.co.uk/CH-61901-2RZ-CERAMIC-HYBRID.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Thanks D8veh...
I kind of understood that, thanks for the detailed info.

Im going to keep hold of the old one, and maybe have a closer look at it at some point, but the one coming from Oxygen should just drop in

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Well I'm totally stuck.

Put the replacement hub on late this afternoon, put everything back together, really took my time do as not to miss anything.

Fired the bike up.....the motor is spinning in reverse!

Tried wiring etc but can't seem to change it.... could be fun riding to work tomorrow.....

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Well I'm totally stuck.

Put the replacement hub on late this afternoon, put everything back together, really took my time do as not to miss anything.

Fired the bike up.....the motor is spinning in reverse!

Tried wiring etc but can't seem to change it.... could be fun riding to work tomorrow.....

Hi Andy, this just means the phase wires are linked up incorrectly . Try swapping the green and blue over

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Hi Andy, this just means the phase wires are linked up incorrectly . Try swapping the green and blue over
Hi Spanos

I did read something like that earlier...but I cant see any of the wires as they are all in moulded plugs and they only fit in one way.

I've taken everything apart again in case I've done something really stupid, but nothing obvious.

Put it back together, still the same

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
I'm guessing that moulded plug is at the motor side. What about the controller side is where phase wires meet the controller ? Are there three bullet connectors (usually yellow, green andblue wires)

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
They're all moulded plugs...but the controller is hidden in the frame...I can see if I can get into it but it's well hidden from view
I'm guessing that moulded plug is at the motor side. What about the controller side is where phase wires meet the controller ? Are there three bullet connectors (usually yellow, green andblue wires)

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Bad pictures I know...the 3rd pic just shows the connector to the battery terminal

Related Articles

Advertisers