Panasonic battery compatibility?

Andy Bigwood

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 21, 2014
Hi All... my first post here...

I have a 'Spencer Ivy' Pedelec that has a Panasonic 26v engine and 10Ah battery

My questions... will all Panasonic 26v type batteries fit? or do the bike manufacturers each have a slightly different plug-shape?

Spencer Ivy has a 18ah battery on their website, but I see a 'Panasonic 24Ah BMZ' in some shops. Should I go for one of these or get a pair of 10Ah instead?

Are there any recent reviews out there on the life and range of these? (I am assuming that batteries with other voltage ratings are not compatible with my motor)

My pedelec is my only form of transport... I use it daily, but want to have the option for longer range.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
All of the Panasonic 26 Volt batteries intended for the crank drive motor will fit. That includes the batteries from the likes of BMZ as well.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Being pedantic there is one little known 26 volt Panasonic crank drive battery that won't fit, but I very much doubt you'll ever come across one.

It's the 26 volt 15 Ah (later 16 Ah) battery for the BikeTec X bike, a top quality full suspension trail bike. That battery is laterally fatter and needs different base cowlings together with shaped crank arms to clear the slight extra width.

No other export maker has used that unit, though I daresay Panasonic market it in Japan in their own e-bikes.

The BikeTec Flyer X bike:

Andy Bigwood

Jul 21, 2014
Am I better off buying two 10Ah or one 24Ah?
On price they would work out almost equal.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The 24 amp would give a small improvement in performance, larger capacity being more willing to give up current. For similar reasons it should be longer lasting due to the lower frequency of charging and the potentially smaller drain before recharging meaning less charging stress.

Reactions: mountainsport

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
The 24 amp would give a small improvement in performance, larger capacity being more willing to give up current. For similar reasons it should be longer lasting due to the lower frequency of charging and the potentially smaller drain before recharging meaning less charging stress.
What are these Panasonic chargers normally rated @ flecc?

MS.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The information on the Panasonic chargers is in my Panasonic support website on this link, but I don't know if the chargers supplied with the Kalkhoffs equipped with 26 volt Kalkhoff-BMZ batteries are the same. I would think it would have higher charge rate capability, otherwise a full charge from almost flat for a 24 Ah battery might take as much as 13 or 14 hours.

Panasonic's largest battery for the 26 volt units is I think 16 Ah.

Reactions: mountainsport

Andy Bigwood

Jul 21, 2014
having looked at a 26v 24Ah ...and seeing the above concern that the battery will take a looong time to charge. I cannot seem to see a BMZ specific charger...and assuming I got one would it charge quicker than 13hours?

(It seems Spencer Ivy no longer trade, so I have to find something thats compatible)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
having looked at a 26v 24Ah ...and seeing the above concern that the battery will take a looong time to charge. I cannot seem to see a BMZ specific charger...and assuming I got one would it charge quicker than 13hours?

(It seems Spencer Ivy no longer trade, so I have to find something thats compatible)
I feel sure Spencer Ivy are still trading, here's the link. They recently took on new brands.

Andy Bigwood

Jul 21, 2014
I feel sure Spencer Ivy are still trading, here's the link. They recently took on new brands.
and the following message when you try to buy there...

This transaction attempt has failed. Please use the Proceed button go back to the web store from which you were purchasing. The details of the failure are given below.
Status Detail: 4047 : The vendor account is closed.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Andy, that must be very recent since they've only just announced an adoption of a major continental brand.

Spencer Ivy

Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2013
Good morning. We definitely are still trading and many thanks to all our customers. We are, however, still developing our new Spencer Ivy bikes and will let everyone know when we have developed a suitably priced and equipped product. Within the Spencer Ivy family of e bike businesses we have the Dorset e bike Centre and a very recently opened unique (currently) venture - Cyclelife Electric Wessex, the only Raleigh shop selling specifically Accell Group e bikes (Raleigh and Haibike with Sparta, Koga etc etc in the wings).

Andy Bigwood

Jul 21, 2014
Good morning. We definitely are still trading and many thanks to all our customers. We are, however, still developing our new Spencer Ivy bikes and will let everyone know when we have developed a suitably priced and equipped product. Within the Spencer Ivy family of e bike businesses we have the Dorset e bike Centre and a very recently opened unique (currently) venture - Cyclelife Electric Wessex, the only Raleigh shop selling specifically Accell Group e bikes (Raleigh and Haibike with Sparta, Koga etc etc in the wings).
I am glad you are still in business. Unfortunately your website says you are not taking payments. I Can't buy an expensive battery without a credit card payment facility.

Spencer Ivy

Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2013
Apologies, Andy. Let me investigate! If you have a look on the www.raleigh.co.uk website you might be able to find the battery you are looking for as they stock the Panasonic batteries for the Dover. Please message me and we will sort this out for you . I can access my raleigh b2b site when i am in the shop from 09.00. Best regards.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the confirmation Spencer Ivy, a relief to know that all's well.

Spencer Ivy

Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2013
Thank you, flecc ! It is so hard developing new products currently - we were over in Germany testing the new Sduro range from Haibike - the entry level bike at £1850 is a tough one to beat ! Especially with 24 months interest free credit available...still - not everyone wants an MTB I suppose !

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oh I think many do though, and that is a very attractive price for a respected and desirable brand.

Andy Bigwood

Jul 21, 2014
Apologies, Andy. Let me investigate! If you have a look on the www.raleigh.co.uk website you might be able to find the battery you are looking for as they stock the Panasonic batteries for the Dover. Please message me and we will sort this out for you . I can access my raleigh b2b site when i am in the shop from 09.00. Best regards.
Unfortunately the link provided does not appear to have a catagory for batteries. You mention a 'Dover', what I have is a Spencer Ivy powered by a 26v battery....I presume that the Dover has an identical system?

Spencer Ivy

Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2013
Yes Andy - it is an identical system....I'm just trying to establish availability of bigger batteries than the 8AH that come as standard....