Panasonic drive sprocket

Morgann

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2011
Asking this here because I can't post in Technical for some reason.

Does anyone with experience of the Panasonic crank drive system know if there is supposed to be a washer/shim between the drive sprocket and the circlip that holds it on?

I ask because there seems to be a lot of free play, side to side rather than rotational, on mine and it makes the bike noisy under drive unless I pack around the sprocket with grease.

There seems to be a few thou of in and out play between the circlip and the sprocket as though the circlip should be thicker or there's a washer missing.

Close inspection of the splined shaft shows no sign of wear or damage.

Any thoughts

Morg

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
No, no shim. They all make a noise to a certain degree but the drive sprocket appears to have been designed to float a little.

philthom

Just Joined
Jun 8, 2011
conwy wales
My drive became quite noisy (9 tooth drive sprocket) - after contacting 50 cycles they said that they would send an identical replacement. The sprocket arrived (now 11 tooth!) - however it is a lot smoother than the 9 but as yet I haven't tested the bike to see what difference this makes to the speed.
regards
Phil

yselmike

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2011
purmerend
Just had a new chain and casset they also replaced the drive sprocket 4500 km in 9 months the chain was well worn
and very noisy,I lubed the chain when it was only half clean it took 4-5 times of cleaning the chain to realise OH!
thats what a clean chain looks like,keep your chain,casset,chain wheel clean.

Morgann

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2011
Just an update. Emailed the same question to Matt at 50cycles. 15 mins later got back this, "It's pretty common for there to be some side to side play in the chain ring (sprocket). This can be improved by the fitting of a new (thicker?) circlip. There's one in the post to you." ) !!!:D

And he wished me a good weekend too.

A good weekend to you too mate.

Last edited: