Panasonic Motor - Lateral Movement

Larkspur

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2008
S.W. Herts
Hi All,

Can anyone advise - is it normal for the Panasonic motor to move slightly from side to side as you pedal it? I have noticed this previously but a bike mechanic in BikeHut said that he didn't think it should be doing this. Do I need to get it tightened up and if so how?

Incidentally - I must give a plug to BikeHut in Rickmansworth, who changed the sprocket on my Pro-Connect for me. Firstly, they insisted on supplying a genuine Shimano Nexus 16T sprocket (£3.99) and then they fitted it immediately, for free. I thought a drink was in order, so total cost £8.99.

Any help on the problem described above, gratefully received.

Chris

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The bottom of the frame consists of a shaped channel which the fastening points of the motor sit inside with bolts through. Hers a photo of the earlier unit where you see the three external bolt hole points that sit within the channel. It's these bolts that may need need tightening, for which you'll need to remove the cowlings:

Motor unit

I've put BikeHut, Rickmansworth into our dealer map. Makes a change for a Halfords company to get a recommendation! If you have the postcode or any other address and/or phone details I'll add those.

Map Link

Larkspur

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2008
S.W. Herts
The bottom of the frame consists of a shaped channel which the fastening points of the motor sit inside with bolts through. Hers a photo of the earlier unit where you see the three external bolt hole points that sit within the channel. It's these bolts that may need need tightening, for which you'll need to remove the cowlings:

Motor unit

I've put BikeHut, Rickmansworth into our dealer map. Makes a change for a Halfords company to get a recommendation! If you have the postcode or any other address and/or phone details I'll add those.

Map Link
Thanks Flecc, I thought it would be you who replied :) . I'll investigate removing the cowlings.

BikeHut's address is High St, Rickmansworth, Herts WD3 <don't lnow the rest of the postcode>
Phone 01923 776901

I guess its individuals who make or break a business. The mechanic is certainly OK in my book - the gears all seem to work OK since the sprocket was changed. He didn't try to make out he knew a lot about electric bikes either, just pointed out a potential problem.

Chris

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Chris, I'll update it. It's not a recommended dealer map so much as those found not to be anti work on e-bikes.

Larkspur

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2008
S.W. Herts

Motor unit

Map Link
I removed the chain guard and the plastic cowling and identified the three bolts that attach the motor to the frame. The nuts on all of them were a bit loose (one much more so than the others). Two of the nuts were easy to tighten with an adjustable spanner, although it was necessary to prevent the bolts rotating by inserting an allen key into their opposite ends. The other nut was a bit more tricky to tighten as some electrical wires were quite tightly routed across the top of it - however, after carefully pushing these slightly to one side I was able to get a spanner round the nut and tightened it by rotating the other end of the bolt, using an allen key. Although this was all relatively easy, it would have been even easier if I owned a socket set.

There is now no lateral movement of the motor when I pedal - although I will keep an eye on it in case it works loose again. I would advise other Kalkhoff owners to at least check their bikes for lateral motor movement. It might be that the bolts on my bike weren't tightened properly in the first place, but maybe they work loose over time.

Now that I have a 16T rear sprocket the bike goes like a rocket (relatively speaking) on the flat, slight downward inclines and downhill. Initial testing in familiar territory would suggest that I need to drop 2-3 gears lower than previously to climb hills - but as I have never needed to go lower than 4th with the standard sprocket this is not a problem. Not sure I would would be able to climb a 1:3 now, but fortunately there aren't any round here.

Chris

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I have read somewhere on here that other Kalkhoff owners have found the motor bolts loose. I checked the ones on my bike and they were a bit on the slack side. Does anyone know a correct torque figure for the bolts? I like to use the correct figure when I can.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the details Chris, glad it's fixed, probably not tight enough in the first place. Interesting that they are using Allen bolts now, probably a slight space saver. They used to be hexagon head ones on the former unit.

Larkspur

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2008
S.W. Herts
Thanks for the details Chris, glad it's fixed, probably not tight enough in the first place. Interesting that they are using Allen bolts now, probably a slight space saver. They used to be hexagon head ones on the former unit.
Flecc, it may just be that I don't know the difference between an Allen bolt head and a hexagonal one:) !!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc, it may just be that I don't know the difference between an Allen bolt head and a hexagonal one:) !!
A hexagon head bolt has the same shape as the nut, using a spanner. Allen bolts have a round head with a hexagonal hole in the centre which is for an Allen key hexagonal rod tool.