Panasonic "special"

Leonardo

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2006
www.jobike.it
Did you see this one?

Panasonic Titanium Flat Road EB

Priced between $5,422.95 and $6,717.23, titanium frame, carbon parts, panasonic unit with 5Ah or 10Ah battery (but with a strange "Japanese" range), 3 frame sizes, 56 frame colors, 3 wheel colors, 2 battery and case types, and 2 saddles, option to personalize the bike with the owner's name... It seems that Panasonic is tired to let only the Europeans make beautiful Panasonic bikes and decided to exaggerate! :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, someone posted on it recently Leonardo. Seems to be a triumph of style over substance though, but couldn't be anything else with the restrictions of Japanese law.

Leonardo

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2006
www.jobike.it
Sorry for posting it again, so: I did a research before posting but in the wrong way as it seems.

Which are exactly the restrictions of Japanese law? I've often seen Japanese bikes assert incredible ranges with tiny batteries.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No problem with posting it Leonardo, the site search rarely finds these things anyway. :)

I understand it's a mixed bag in Japan, depending on the location. In many cities they aren't allowed on the road and are confined to footpaths at a maximum of 8 mph. Out of cities they are often the opposite, banned from all facilities used by pedestrians, but frequently confined to separate cycle lanes with strict speed limits, which are often low.

They also have the all embracing regulation that motor power can never exceed the rider input, so one to one at the most, which restricts performance, so the whole picture isn't suitable for sporting bikes.

It really only leaves the style side of design as a way of appealing to customers.