Pannier recommendation?

Oxymoron

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2017
Oxford
due to take delivery of a mk1 2016 wipser 905 torque in a few days

any recommendations for some cheap panniers bags preferably waterproof or shower resistant ??

signwave

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2016
Hampshire
I seem to recall that Wisper bikes need an adapter to take standard panniers.

Might be worth giving Wisper a ring on Monday about that.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
When I decided to start commuting to work and back using a currently 26 miles round trip journey with 16 miles off road or 20 mile round trip on the road I needed some good panniers.

I bought a pair of Ortleib back roller classic panniers and have found them absolutely superb. Tough, durable, easy to attach and detach, flexibly spacious and completely waterproof. I take no quarter and have given the first pair as hard a life as I could imagine a pair of panniers having.

Extract below from Haibike sDuro HardSeven SL 2015 review

"One of my Ortleib back roller classic panniers split open when I rode the bike through a gap that was too small, pulling the panniers through after me. These panniers were bought in around 2010 and have been used constantly since then and led a very hard life bounced around off road and overfilled with shopping and remained water proof throughout. To start with I was amazed that I could get caught in torrential rain and get to work and find that my work clothes inside the panniers were bone dry. I have been very impressed by them and decided to buy another pair.

I looked on evans web site and saw they were asking £109 but were out of stock. I looked on Amazon and they were available at about the same price. I looked on ebay and was taken aback by how much people were paying for second hand ones, (£90 ish when I looked) and that one guy was selling his panniers in two separate lots so if you wanted the pair you needed to win both auctions and that one pannier was over £45 and the other £35 with a couple of days to go.

I then discovered Spa cycles in Harrogate who were selling them brand new for £95 with free postage. I rang them, ordered a pair, paid by credit card and they arrived a couple of days later. Fantastic."

I decided on a rather fetching yellow colour for the new pair but had not thought through that I still had a usable black one so now I am not as colour coordinated as I was before.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I remember many moons ago travelling with a friend to Oxford to watch Oxford United play Reading I think and walking to the ground past terraced houses one of which had a huge shark embedded in its roof. I don't support either of those sides but it was a good day out.

Reactions: DangerousDave79

Oxymoron

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2017
Oxford
Ahh the old Manor ground, sadly that's is gone, now in a breeze block ground, the shark house is still there though

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I was brought up in Hampshire and the nearest large club to me was Southampton and I used to go to The Dell quite regularly to watch them play, usually in the stands behind the goal. The atmosphere in those grounds where you could get so close to the action was fantastic.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi OM,

The latest bikes have racks that will take brands such as Ortleib. The earlier bikes only take the cheaper style with straps. I will pop an adaptor into the box for you.

All the best, David

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have just ordered my first set of Ortlieb front roller panniers, 69.99€ on special offer at Probikeshop. I had thought of just using and throwing away 9.95€ Decathlon panniers, I broke the first one after a year carrying my heavy 20 Ah battery, but they don't attach well and can bounce off at times.

Oxymoron

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2017
Oxford
You can't go wrong with Ortlieb they are worth the extra money. Think you have our captain from Burton just moved to Oxford, John Mousineo better known as Moose, hows he settling in?
Just got home from the game.

Moose is doing very well, hardly ever puts a foot wrong, solid defender.
Bradford equalised last 30 secs of injury time tonight, from a poor clearance, did not see whose fault it was though:(

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Just got home from the game.

Moose is doing very well, hardly ever puts a foot wrong, solid defender.
Bradford equalised last 30 secs of injury time tonight, from a poor clearance, did not see whose fault it was though:(
That's hard luck, Burton managed a point away at Norwich, which is pleasing after Saturdays five nil thrashing at Leeds!