Pavement Segway rider found guilty

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
I think anyone who had read the legislation had figured out that they were illegal. Maybe there will be pressure for a change now. Electric bikes, even illegal ones, are considerably more stealth than the Segway.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
fined £75, and ordered to pay £250 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.
Is that all the penalty is for driving an unregistered and uninsured motor vehicle on the pavement?
It kind of makes the worry of riding an unrestricted ebike go away a bit.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Is that all the penalty is for driving an unregistered and uninsured motor vehicle on the pavement?
It kind of makes the worry of riding an unrestricted ebike go away a bit.
This was a magistrate and his interpretation of the law - also it was on the pavement - not the road, where the DoT reigns.
That, in addition to Rog's comment.

Colin

theskip1

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2010
sm6
Not strictly relevant, even so perhaps a caution to those with ebikes of doubtful legality see:
The Press Association: Pavement Segway rider found guilty
i was thinking what is the difference between a segway and an invalid scooter apart from standing and sitting, given that some people who are classed as invalids do not always need to sit,
i have a breathing disorder and i am classed as an invalid but i have no need to sit. does this mean if i were to get a segway then i would be prosecuted also. and who decides who is and who is not fit and eligible. and who decides what is and what is not an invalid vehicle.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
i was thinking what is the difference between a segway and an invalid scooter apart from standing and sitting, given that some people who are classed as invalids do not always need to sit,
i have a breathing disorder and i am classed as an invalid but i have no need to sit. does this mean if i were to get a segway then i would be prosecuted also. and who decides who is and who is not fit and eligible. and who decides what is and what is not an invalid vehicle.
I thought the law was quite clear on this (at the moment). You cannot use the Segway on public roads or pavements - you would be prosecuted.

Colin

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You don't need to be disabled to use a pavement carriage, just feeling tired is ok! The problem with the Segway is one of speed, pavement carriages are restricted to 4 mph, though when used on the road they can be switchable to 8 mph then. The Segway breaches both these legal limits with ease and in my view is potentially very dangerous when used on pavements occupied by pedestrians of all ages and mobility. It seems most of the authorities outside of the USA share my view.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Does the Segway not also have issues with hard braking, making emergency stops from their top speed next to impossible? At least compared to bicycle stopping distances.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Does the Segway not also have issues with hard braking, making emergency stops from their top speed next to impossible? At least compared to bicycle stopping distances.
Definitely, that's why I condemn it as unsafe to mix with pedestrians. Emergency stops require rider skills that are unknowns with an unlicenced and untested operator, and at best can't anywhere near match a good set of bike brakes.

silversurfer

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2007
German segway

Hi folks, just a comment to add fuel to the debate! I was in Germany last September and in Hannover the German police where demonstrating a couple of segways to the public. Presumably to apprehend wrongdoers in the pedestrianised town centre. Looked rather smart, with the mast and blue flashing light (I joke not!) Of course the police are probably trained in the use of these things, but I can't help but think the danger of a ‘road vehicle operating on the pavement ’ is still there, whether it is driven/ridden? by Joe Bloggs or Joe Plod? Police cars can break the rules if running under blue lights, but cruising the pavements...hmmm. (of course, in Germany it may be permitted?)
I seem to recall reading (maybe in the US?) about one of these being used to chase an offender and the guy nicked it off the police rider and sped off, desk sergeant was not pleased!
Silversurfer.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Don't Segways cost nearly 3 grand? How does an unemployed factory worker afford one.
He can't afford it. That's why you buy it for him along with the 50" flat screen, the Bensons and not forgetting the Carlsberg wifebeater for the children of course.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Definitely, that's why I condemn it as unsafe to mix with pedestrians. Emergency stops require rider skills that are unknowns with an unlicenced and untested operator, and at best can't anywhere near match a good set of bike brakes.
wasn't the British entrepreneur who bought a share in the company or was the UK distributor fatally injured after riding one which went out of control - he was pitched him off the machine, down a long drop and into a river? :eek:

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Hi folks, just a comment to add fuel to the debate! I was in Germany last September and in Hannover the German police where demonstrating a couple of segways to the public. Presumably to apprehend wrongdoers in the pedestrianised town centre. Looked rather smart, with the mast and blue flashing light (I joke not!) Of course the police are probably trained in the use of these things, but I can't help but think the danger of a ‘road vehicle operating on the pavement ’ is still there, whether it is driven/ridden? by Joe Bloggs or Joe Plod? Police cars can break the rules if running under blue lights, but cruising the pavements...hmmm. (of course, in Germany it may be permitted?)
I seem to recall reading (maybe in the US?) about one of these being used to chase an offender and the guy nicked it off the police rider and sped off, desk sergeant was not pleased!
Silversurfer.
Have you seen the 'Emergency Bikers' TV programme, they are always riding their 1200RT's and FJR1300's along pavements, in shopping centres amongst ther crowds etc, so presumably when on a shout, it is legal to do so, I would have thought that most countries would have impemented this rule?

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
wasn't the British entrepreneur who bought a share in the company or was the UK distributor fatally injured after riding one which went out of control - he was pitched him off the machine, down a long drop and into a river? :eek:
Yeah thats the one. See this thread!

I find that story very sad actually.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Have you seen the 'Emergency Bikers' TV programme, they are always riding their 1200RT's and FJR1300's along pavements, in shopping centres amongst ther crowds etc, so presumably when on a shout, it is legal to do so, I would have thought that most countries would have impemented this rule?
No, it's not legal, it's just like the traffic lights situation where emergency vehicles cross with unspoken permission at their own risk. In my area we recently had a fire engine driver prosecuted and fined for an accident at traffic lights when crossing at red on an emergency call. There have been a number of similar cases with police officers. Those emergency bikers are in the same position, if they have an accident they will be prosecuted like anyone else would be. Their infringement is only ignored if without incident.