Pedal powered family transport?

davepartridge

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 15, 2020
Hi all,

Background: we're a busy family with me, my wife, two girls, and we also foster so frequently have additional children with us. We have a 7-seater car but lots of our journeys are one parent running the girls around town (30mph roads) to various clubs (about 2 miles each way). The girls are 10 and 8 but small and light (currently!).

I'd like to explore the option of some sort of electrically-assisted tricycle or quadricycle that could be used for around town journeys to reduce our reliance on the car. Ideally this would be covered in some way so it could be used in all weathers. If the passengers can assist with pedalling that is fine by me.

I've had a look around but have struggled to find anything particularly suitable. I've seen a couple of things on Alibaba but they're not EAPC-approved so would need registering and insuring, which I understand can be difficult.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what is out there?

Thanks,

Davae

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Have you considered a side car for one of the girls and a pillion for the other?

Although this one is 750w for the US market. And isn’t a budget option. It could be made a bit more UK legal by dialling back the controller and removing the throttle and a 250w sticker on the motor.

And another problem is the side car is on the wrong side for the UK.

So maybe look for a European version if you can find one and your bank balance is big enough.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With any large bike one has to think of the security and storage first most.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
And also the one I posted is huge and ok for US side roads, but UK roads are another kettle of fish. Especially with kids on board.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
A family near me with fairly young / small children X 2 are doing well with a Tern GSD with Bosch CargoLine motor.

But big children would work less well.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
European e-bikes are so boring.

There is definitely a cultural difference between Europe and the US. In Europe we focus much more on function rather than form.

And in the US the trend is to completely ignore the law and make bikes as powerful as possible.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
I can't think of much that fits the requirements, for such short distances, assuming not enormous hills, an appropriately geared 250w nominal motor and some human help would be sufficient. However, I can't find much.

These folks have some interesting options although not sure if they do e assisted anything?

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
This one is cool, it even has a steering wheel. It would need a mid drive motor though. Shame it’s left hand drive.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Convert a cycle rickshaw? Insurance would still be difficult, and you won't be able to transport all the kids at once.

£450
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155107967493

With a roof, from somewhere in Harrow:

Used pedicab:

From abroad:

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Maxpro are completely legal. They're used a lot in London. They have very powerful 250w motors that are more than adequate to power the thing around. Get one with their Revodrive motor that is a special cargo bike motor that drives the rear axle directly.
These people have been making pedicabs since 2004. Their pedicabs are fully- developed professional machines. Beware of cheaper solutions, many of which don't have rear differentials, so are difficult and unsafe to steer, and even if they do have them, they're cheap things that soon fail.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

davepartridge

Mar 15, 2020
Thanks all - as I thought, the UK market is very underdeveloped for this sort of thing, which is a shame because it could make a real impact on reducing use of cars for short journeys.

Something like this (https://www.motrike.com/product-item/velotaxi/) looks ideal to me but it has a 1,000 Watt motor so would have to be registered and insured which I think will be challenging. I think something similar is used by Veluba in London (https://veluba.com/) but they appear to have a version with a 250 Watt motor so are legally compliant.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks all - as I thought, the UK market is very underdeveloped for this sort of thing, which is a shame because it could make a real impact on reducing use of cars for short journeys.

Something like this (https://www.motrike.com/product-item/velotaxi/) looks ideal to me but it has a 1,000 Watt motor so would have to be registered and insured which I think will be challenging. I think something similar is used by Veluba in London (https://veluba.com/) but they appear to have a version with a 250 Watt motor so are legally compliant.
The Maxpro machines that Saneagle recommended are your best bet here and they do make a version with passenger weather protection, shown below. Electric assist versions of pedicabs are far from cheap though, a Maxpro typically from £6000.

davepartridge

Mar 15, 2020
The Maxpro machines that Saneagle recommended are your best bet here and they do make a version with passenger weather protection, shown below. Electric assist versions of pedicabs are far from cheap though, a Maxpro typically from £6000.

Thanks - I shall do some digging but price point is likely to be a barrier. I could get a second hand cheap electric car for less than that and charge it from my solar panels, but it wouldn't keep me as fit!

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I could get a second hand cheap electric car for less than that and charge it from my solar panels, but it wouldn't keep me as fit!
Agreed, or even save the £6k for running your existing car!

Your problem is needing to carry two or more, for just one a tag-along add on half bike attached to any e-bike is ideal and gets the passenger helping too.

LINK

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Agreed, or even save the £6k for running your existing car!

Your problem is needing to carry two or more, for just one a tag-along add on half bike attached to any e-bike is ideal and gets the passenger helping too.

LINK
One of those attached to a tandem? Or a sturdy DIY bike trailer like yours made using aluminium ladders perhaps, but with seats? Insurance would still probably be a problem.

Last edited:

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Imagine how popular I would be cycling this up Cheddar Gorge on a sunny Sunday afternoon with my chums. Drivers sometimes toot their horns and wave at the cyclists on the Gorge, and are especially delighted when there is a group of them in a close knit formation creeping their way up the hill.

I'm sure we would get plenty of cheerful words of encouragement.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
You should go climbing there, not cycling, much more fun, better views.
Is that you?

I have climbed in Cheddar Gorge but rarely climb now. It was never my favourite place to climb. I have done a fair bit of caving in Cheddar Gorge (no, not the show caves). Unfortunately most of the caves in Cheddar currently have no access agreement which is very disappointing :(

Having lost my head for heights a bit, if I must be on a rope, it's underground where you can turn your lamp down and not see har far it is to fall. Strange that if you can't see the drop it isn't as scarry.

There is this little gem in reservoir hole ( not me in the photo but have been there ):

Screenshot_20230513-141158.png

I rarely cycle in Cheddar Gorge, too busy, to many idiot drivers, not the nicest route up/down the Mendip's. For those in the area, the route up the hill past Tynings Farm is much more pleasant to cycle.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
One of those attached to a tandem? Or a sturdy DIY bike trailer like yours made using aluminium ladders perhaps, but with seats? Insurance would still probably be a problem.
There has been the odd tag-along tandem at times, for two different size kids, the last one without pedals. Another variant tag-along has an additional front carry-only seat for a toddler, mounted on the linking tube just over any rear carrier position.