Pedal powered family transport?

davepartridge

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 15, 2020
Hi all,

Background: we're a busy family with me, my wife, two girls, and we also foster so frequently have additional children with us. We have a 7-seater car but lots of our journeys are one parent running the girls around town (30mph roads) to various clubs (about 2 miles each way). The girls are 10 and 8 but small and light (currently!).

I'd like to explore the option of some sort of electrically-assisted tricycle or quadricycle that could be used for around town journeys to reduce our reliance on the car. Ideally this would be covered in some way so it could be used in all weathers. If the passengers can assist with pedalling that is fine by me.

I've had a look around but have struggled to find anything particularly suitable. I've seen a couple of things on Alibaba but they're not EAPC-approved so would need registering and insuring, which I understand can be difficult.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what is out there?

Thanks,

Davae

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Probably not what the OP is looking for but... a couple more adult passenger trailers, but single seat.

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
Something like this?
You could always add a motor somewhere. They come up for sale sometimes as kids outgrow them. Being a Thorn, they are quality and will hold their value for the next kids.

Historically people have done similar things with 20" wheel shopper type bikes - it would not be a terrible fabrication job to make a three seater!