Pedal Sensors

Memran

Pedelecer
Jan 13, 2010
I currently have a crystalyte motor and controller, and when I fitted it, I disabled the pedal assist finction byt modifying the controller.

Now that the new regulations are being reviewed (See Flecc's post) I think I need to reconsider the use of the pedal sensor.

I have some concerns though, so hopefully you knowledgable folks can set me straight :)

Looking at my sensor, it appears to just be a switch and a bunch of magnets.
This makes me think that it can not detect which direction the pedals are turning! When stopped and setting up ready to start moving, I think pretty much everyone will turn the pedals backwards to position them ready for they initial stroke to begin moving. Woudn't this start the motor?

Is there any proportional control, or is it simply always full power so long as the pedals are turning?

Honestly, I don't want to be forced to use these at all! :(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You don't have to use them so don't bother.

The DfT have previously confirmed and now repeat that the regulation change will not be retrospective. Existing bikes can continue as they are indefinitely with throttles and no pedelec function.

In practice, by constantly replacing parts a bike could be completely renewed over time and still remain legal as a bike of it's original age.

It would be a wise precaution to take a photo of your bike in a manner proving it's age in some way, before the new regulations come into force. Perhaps include a young child in the image whose growth will prove the passage of time.

Paulius55

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 1, 2010
Rushden, Northants, NN10
But to answer your questions... the magnets are directional so the assistance only works when pedalling forwards. The way the assistance comes in depends on the controller. On my Alien conversion it is dependent on pedal speed and road speed. It is very controllable, not all or nothing.