Pedelec Boom Continues

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
the fallout after the catastrophic results of the German ADAC/Stiftung Warentest test on e-bikes
What was all that about then?

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Should have consulted the Ebike Users on this Forum . There are many years of experience on all sorts of Ebikes here whether `cheap ` Chinese ones or expensive German ones .I`m always sceptical of the tests that the Authorities dream up . Look at the nonsense about testing headstones in Public Cemetaries . They shock load them to test and this leads to them being pushed over unnecessarily . Health and Safety gone mad , apparently only one person has been killed by a falling headstone over the years , sad for that one person I will admit . Sorry to stray from the subject and don`t get me started on Politicians .

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Should have consulted the Ebike Users on this Forum . There are many years of experience on all sorts of Ebikes here whether `cheap ` Chinese ones or expensive German ones .I`m always sceptical of the tests that the Authorities dream up . Look at the nonsense about testing headstones in Public Cemetaries . They shock load them to test and this leads to them being pushed over unnecessarily . Health and Safety gone mad , apparently only one person has been killed by a falling headstone over the years , sad for that one person I will admit . Sorry to stray from the subject and don`t get me started on Politicians .
Don't get me started either, the authorities ignored us monumental masons and our recommendations for safety for decades and wouldn't change their regulations to allow us to erect in a safe way, then as you say started pushing them over with a joke "topple tester".
Glad I sold the business and retired.
Sorry for deviating from the subject, rant over:)
Dave.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
The German witch hunt is nothing more than a a form of protectionism against Chinese imports.

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
Cheers for the links. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but it doesn't look much like a "witch hunt" to me. Surely it's just another example of ADAC and Stiftung Warentest being entirely predictable ...

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
That broken handlebar was a real danger as in the picture, so are the ineffective disc brakes.
ADAC only state what they found, e-bikes need to be overbuilt because we are not as strong or as fast as we were. Also, motor power has crept up over the years - CST and Ezee motors for example are capable of twice the power of the SWXes, so hydraulic brakes are not only desirable but perhaps should be made mandatory on these more powerful bikes.

Last edited:

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Ebikes would face the same problems as Aircraft if overbuilt . More powerful brakes would need stronger forks leading to a stronger frame to support them . Then the spokes would need to be thicker , everything would be heavier thus needing a larger battery and before you know it the Ebike has become a Moped powered by a battery . Come to think of it nobody seems to have come up with a successful electric moped so far , I think I just have !

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
hyped up really in my opinion. The Germans do an 'MOT' on a trailer so would expect stringent tests for pedelecs... They also seemingly make life difficult for classic vehicles to be driven about. ot risking my vw camper going to visit 'beloved's' family vuppen znorth in case they crush my van!! (Handy excuse :) )

Have spotted three pedelecs in last few weeks and I would not have noticed them as being pedlecs until I bought one... Or maybe there are more about which makes me take notice???

Biker44

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
Wylit, wylit, Lywelyn
Wylit waed pe gwelit hyn
Ein calon gan estron ŵr
Ein coron gan goncwerwr
A gwerin o ffafrgarwyr
Llariaidd eu gwên lle'r oedd gwŷr
Something, something Llewelyn
Something blood? if seeing this
Our heart something man
Our crown from conqueror
The people from a something-carrier
Something the smile where the something-man

Biker44

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
They shock load them to test and this leads to them being pushed over unnecessarily . Health and Safety gone mad , apparently only one person has been killed by a falling headstone over the years
I'm on the side of the 'elf and safety on this one - graveyards should be safe places, and tottering old ladies should be able to put out their hand and safely balance themselves by grasping a head-stone. For every death there must be 50 broken legs and 10 broken hips (a death sentence).

And I'm on the side of 'elf and safety over pedelecs - much as I love my Cyclamatic Foldaway there's no question that a lot of things rattled loose in the first few 100 miles (which is still all I've done!).

Although I don't see other Cyclamatic owners complaining, if you took a new one to France in your camper, you would likely be badly let down as the spokes loosen, the seat comes undone, the front axle tightens on its bearings, the charging fuse in the battery loses contact, the folding handlebar clip loses its grip and ... some other things I forget!

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
And I'm on the side of 'elf and safety over pedelecs - much as I love my Cyclamatic Foldaway there's no question that a lot of things rattled loose in the first few 100 miles (which is still all I've done!).

Although I don't see other Cyclamatic owners complaining, if you took a new one to France in your camper, you would likely be badly let down as the spokes loosen, the seat comes undone, the front axle tightens on its bearings, the charging fuse in the battery loses contact, the folding handlebar clip loses its grip and ... some other things I forget!
I have bad days too.