pedelecking:the musts and the musn´ts while riding them?

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Watch out for cars. They cannot see you, and if they do, they will assume you are doing 2 mph.

Nick

Terrytraveller

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Swindon
Best way to stay on a bike

Hi Poppy,

I fell of a bike afew weeks ago, then like most had a trip to A&E to count the number of broken bones. Lucky this time only bruising, and its taken nearly a month before I can enjoy a sneeze :eek: Also it's a good way to learn to put commas in sentences :)

So what have I learn't ? the old saying 'Look before you leap' comes to mind.

I didn't read the road far enough ahead and I stopped thinking, so when I saw a dropped kerb, I didn't think the wheel might not mount it without skidding along the gutter, and tipping me off.

We all learn't these lessons when we were 5 years old, but in 65 years we have forgotten them.

Regards Terry - Ride Safely

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
when I saw a dropped kerb, I didn't think the wheel might not mount it without skidding along the gutter, and tipping me off.

Regards Terry - Ride Safely
Hi Terry,

Is that with a front hub motor?
That is another point - they change the handling.

Nick

Terrytraveller

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Swindon
Flying lessons here !

Hi Tiberius,

Rear hub - but think it may also be down to 20" wheels and tyres inflated to 65psi - as well as a dozey rider. :mad:

Regards Terry

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
eyes front

At my age I think the greater risk is distraction or not paying attention.

i'd certainly go along with that Poppy, 'going electric' leaves more time to engage with the immediate environment and things can get rapidly out of control if you don't look where you're going, reckon it took me about a 1000 miles to 'convert' ... part of it was the sheer comfort, nay luxury of being able to glide along country lanes and actually have the time to peer over the hedges, after several near misses with ditches, i figured disaster beckons and mended my ways.

cautious country-boy beeps.

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
Yup

Watch out for cars. They cannot see you, and if they do, they will assume you are doing 2 mph.

Nick
would go along with this as well Nick, assuming the driver isn't on the phone, eating or drinking, fiddling with the SatNav/radio/MP3 or excavating their nasal passages, you will still have to apply a dozen tactical brain cells on his behalf because he will likely misjudge your approach speed... and panic.

get a lot of this,

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Hi all,

First and foremost, alcohol and cycling do not mix!

Assume all car drivers are idiots and that you are invisible. Im always riding around town assuming that at every junction I may have to suddenly brake as a car tries to pull out.

Be aware of your surroundings at all time, look out for parked cars ahead and pull out slowly as you approach (keep checking behind for cars) and as you pass again pull into the nearside to allow waiting cars to pass. If there are a series of parked cars ahead stay out and hold your position in the road.

When braking, due to the extra weight of electric bikes, you need to know the stopping distances. On an electric bike you ARE travelling faster than a conventional bike so again you need to know how much extra time it will take to stop (this may only been an extra couple of metres but can be vital).

Always try to use both brakes to stop to avoid skidding.

Road surfaces are always changing. Winter months roads are wet and slippy, summer months roads are dusty and gravelly (not sure how that is spelt!). After a summer shower this can make the roads greasy so again be aware when going around corners and stopping at junctions.

Cycle with caution when travelling on previously "unchartered" roads as pot holes/drains etc may appear when you are not expecting them to, on these occasions there is no set rule how to overcome the terrain, however try avoid swerving into the road as cars may be about to overtake you.

Cycling unfortunately is always going to be more dangerous than driving a car as you are travelling slower than passing traffic, only on 2 wheels and don't have protection from side impact bars, bonnets or airbags etc.

Andy Day

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2008
I think the safety requirements of ebiking are a subset - or perhaps even a superset of those required for motorcycling.

Firstly observation, awareness of the surface you are riding on, which constantly changes. Gravel, leaves in autumn, sunken drains and potholes can all catch you out. even worse is any road feature than leaves a longditudinal ridge in the surface, the trenches dug by service companys which were probably level when first filled and have subsequently sunken can be difficult if deeper than 1cm or so. The front wheel, particularly on front wheel hub motors tracks the low part of the ridge and can't climb out, and down you go.

Observation should also include traffic ahead, parked cars should be given the width of an open door as clearance, many a cyclist has been wiped out but a door suddenly flung open.

Road junctions should be treated with caution, particularly those coming from in this country, the left. We don't loom large in other road users perception. Complex junctions, particularly roundabouts are best walked around unless you are particularly brave or stupid. If you have ever been t-boned by a car and been across the bonnet you'll find it rather unpleasant, I did and still carry the scars. I often mount the pavement before a large roundabout and if there are no pedestrians ride the pavement route round. This bit is not part on the motorcycling set!

Wear easily seen clothing, at least a Sam Brown luminous belt or even a luminous waistcoat

Pedestrians, particularly in this day of ipods etc, should be kept a sharp eye on. More than once I have had a teenager turn suddenly at right angles off the kerb without so much as a glance. They are worse in groups, seeming to think they are invincible, they even step out in front of cars!

PLEASE observe traffic lights! It really p@?!!@ me off when I see a cyclist sail over a red light, commonly a pedestrian crossing as if it doesn't apply to them. It does the cause no good at all.

Last edited:

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
would go along with this as well Nick, assuming the driver isn't on the phone, eating or drinking, fiddling with the SatNav/radio/MP3 or excavating their nasal passages, you will still have to apply a dozen tactical brain cells on his behalf because he will likely misjudge your approach speed... and panic.

get a lot of this,
I had a good one today - I was in the box at the front for cyclists at traffic lights, stationary, minding my own business. I was in the middle of having a sip of water waiting for the lights to change when I felt something push me. A chap in a van had driven into my bike, almost knocking me over! Shouted at him, banged on his window but he just ignored me. I wondered whether he hadn't seen me (standing in broad daylight in a high-viz jacket = pretty unlikely!) or just wanted to demostrate his contempt for those boxes. I asked him the question but he didn't answer. Maybe he was just asleep at the wheel?

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
Fit a handlebar mirror. I've borrowed one for a couple of weeks and I can't believe I've managed without one all this time. I'm buying one for myself asap.
Not a bad idea the handlebar mirror. Only it would make the bike noticeeable to traffic cops, and maybe my bike doesn´t comply with Spain´s regulations ja ja! And me being near-sighted would require an XXL size thingy!