Pendleton Somerby e-bike

Littleweed

Just Joined
Nov 30, 2017
Ruthin, Denbighshire
Hi,

I recently bought a Pendleton Somerby e-bike through the cycle to work scheme. I'm having a few teething problems with it, mainly because the manuals supplied do not apply to the touch pad controls on my bike! Halfords do not seem to be able to help and I cannot find anything specific on-line. Can anyone advise me which gear I should be in when I select the 'electric boost'? I cycle to and from work along dark, country lanes with steep hills, so I have to be able to go from free-wheeling down hill then needing a boost to get up the other side but this does not always give me enough speed to get up them.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Which gear you select depends on your cadence and how comfortable you feel pedalling. Generally select a gear as on a normal bike and change up a gear as you start to pedal to fast. The ideal gear to be in at any time, is one that allows you to pedal quite freely without the effort feeling laboured.
For hills select a higher boost level and a low gear ( larger rear cogs) as in a normal bike, don't expect to fly up hills as if you are on flat /level terrain. The boost is to help your legs and not completely take over.
By not selecting the appropriate gear the motor will stall if in to high a gear and can lead to over heating of the controller or motor. After freewheeling down a hill and then start climbing again the momentum slows, trial and error will tell you which gear to be in. No one gear is the right gear you have to go up and down the gears as needs be but usually with a cadence that feels comfortable as I mentioned if your cadence feels laboured then change up to a lower gear on the other hand if your cadence is too high and you are spinning to fast go down a gear.

Last edited:

Littleweed

Just Joined
Nov 30, 2017
Ruthin, Denbighshire
Which gear you select depends on your cadence and how comfortable you feel pedalling. Generally select a gear as on a normal bike and change up a gear as you start to pedal to fast. The ideal gear to be in at any time, is one that allows you to pedal quite freely without the effort feeling laboured.
For hills select a higher boost level and a low gear ( larger rear cogs) as in a normal bike, don't expect to fly up hills as if you are on flat /level terrain. The boost is to help your legs and not completely take over.
By not selecting the appropriate gear the motor will stall if in to high a gear and can lead to over heating of the controller or motor. After freewheeling down a hill and then
By not selecting the appropriate gear the motor will stall if in to high a gear and can lead to over heating of the controller or motor. After freewheeling down a hill and then start climbing again the momentum slows, trial and error will tell you which gear to be in. No one gear is the right gear you have to go up and down the gears as needs be but usually with a cadence that feels comfortable as I mentioned if your cadence feels laboured then change up to a lower gear on the other hand if your cadence is too high and you are spinning to fast go down a gear.
start climbing again the momentum slows, trial and error will tell you which gear to be in. No one gear is the right gear you have to go up and down the gears as needs be but usually with a cadence that feels comfortable as I mentioned if your cadence feels laboured then change up to a lower gear on the other hand if your cadence is too high and you are spinning to fast go down a gear.
Thank you. Thats really helpful-I'll give it a try next week.