Perfect day for riding

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Perfect day for riding today. Not a cloud in the sky. Proper ride out on a flattish route following my software update and really happy. The Sport profile is perfect for me - and the wheel's holding up nice and strong (fingers crossed now :) ), so no more power sagging - or gears slipping - and made full use of my highest gears.

Alfines need to be kept properly set up - my experience of them has been that if they are slightly out due to wheel setup not being right, or if the outer cable slips out of the retaining arm on the hub (it can happen moving the bike around albeit occasionally), you really cannot put any sort of sports or racing-style riding pressure on the pedals. Horrible crunching sounds from the back tend to follow - which is cue to stop, and if you can't fix there and then nurse bike back home gently without undue pressure in the right gear and adjust setup immediately. They really can't be ridden like that without risking doing major damage.

However, when they're set up right you can happily 'ride like it like you stole it' with the best of 'em - and they'll take whatever you throw at them. I threw everything I had at the bike, and it happily took it all. :cool:.

It's the first time in ages I've been really reminded why I originally fell in love with this bike. It's been a while - but today I am a happy boy. Let the Season begin :).

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Unfortunately not - only 12 miles today. Got someone coming to stay tonight for a few days at short notice so had to combine my ride with bringing in supplies from the (relatively) local Wholefood centre :rolleyes:. Was a good excuse to take time out though and not somewhere I've been going for a while so made a nice change :). Fresh pressed berry smoothie and proper sushi made to order made for a nice late lunch !

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
This afternoon I did a very enjoyable 30 mile round trip to Eastcott Vineyard near Northlew in Devon. I'm testing out different day rides for prospective ebike higherers (hirers). Beautiful day for it. Rather nice sparkling wine too. They even have an electric charge point. Hopefully they will sign up for the Cyclecharge scheme.

Eastcott Vineyard.jpg

JimB

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2013
Derbyshire
Blimey Jonah, looks like you might have crushed a few grapes on the way there!

:eek:

Could be an interesting ride, without the grape crushing wheels, for visitors to the area.

JimB

Last edited:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
No ... she tucked in heartily to some I brought home :p It was the dog who was going bonkers at the smell !