Plastic chain guard on Bosch Powerline

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
bike.jpg

I noticed a clicking sound on my bike and discovered this damaged chain guard. I wondered if anyone would know if just a hub puller is required or a special Bosch spider tool.

The damaged bit is catching the chain. Thanks

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

All those ones get mangled and start clicking. There's a metal replacement one that's better. I'll post details later.

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
Thanks. I think I need to buy a spider tool for this. Pain having to fork out £30 but better than trying to cannibalise and damaging the nut.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Wouldn't it make more sense just to remove the pedal crank, to take a look to see what is required before buying the spider tool.

I'd imagine that the guard would just spin on and off by hand, and wouldn't need the spider tool. Remember, that it if you do decide to invest in a spider tool, that the output thread is left handed.

If this were me, I'd just bin the guard and not worry about having one.

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
Wouldn't it make more sense just to remove the pedal crank, to take a look to see what is required before buying the spider tool.

I'd imagine that the guard would just spin on and off by hand, and wouldn't need the spider tool. Remember, that it if you do decide to invest in a spider tool, that the output thread is left handed.

If this were me, I'd just bin the guard and not worry about having one.
I have thought of this, but the metal guard I am considering is useful for keeping the chain on the cog too.
However these from what I can see, are mounted behind the castellated nut which requires the tool.
Thanks for the thread info. I never thought about this.

Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i think it is just pressed on with the peddle or if like mine has 3 screws that go in to the lock ring.

id just remove it and leave it off as it just collects crud anyway and wipes all the lube of the chain.

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
i think it is just pressed on with the peddle or if like mine has 3 screws that go in to the lock ring.

id just remove it and leave it off as it just collects crud anyway and wipes all the lube of the chain.
It is turning freely so has somehow come away. The crank is not loose so if the new plastic one wont fit, I will go ahead and buy a metal one.