Pleasant ride, sunshine but something missing?

Montybaber

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 2, 2018
Dorset
Had a nice ride today on our new bikes, amazed how easy these bikes are to ride and only had to pop it into 'std' once for a very big hill

We stopped off at a nice pub and enjoyed the weather for a little while

One small thing though, I didn't even realise that the bikes have been supplied without a bell, not a huge issue although it would have been very helpful a few times today with people in the way, is it standard to have them fitted when new (like I assume)

Is it being cheeky asking the bike shop for a couple?

Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not cheeky at all, by law they have to supply them with every new bike sold, but contrary to popular belief, they don't have to be fitted. That legal requirement was removed by the government in 1983 as part of pruning unnecessary legislation.

The law only specifies supply and it's completely legal to ride without one.

Since sport bikes dominated the UK market for many years and roadies never want bells, bike shops got out of the habit of offering bells to customers, hence their common omission.

Montybaber

May 2, 2018
Dorset
Not cheeky at all, by law they have to supply them with every new bike sold, but contrary to popular belief, they don't have to be fitted. That legal requirement was removed by the government in 1983 as part of pruning unnecessary legislation.

The law only specifies supply and it's completely legal to ride without one.

Since sport bikes dominated the UK market for many years and roadies never want bells, bike shops got out of the habit of offering bells to customers, hence their common omission.
Thankyou for that, much appreciated

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Perfectly reasonable but quite possibly not worth doing?

I got a bell that was very poor. If you got everything just right, it makes a somewhat feeble ding. But rotate the dome a few degrees and it becomes almost inaudible. Probably as well to bite the bullet and buy one that sounds and looks as you want. Or two.

• Agree
Reactions: jdallan and flecc

Montybaber

May 2, 2018
Dorset
Perfectly reasonable but quite possibly not worth doing?

I got a bell that was very poor. If you got everything just right, it makes a somewhat feeble ding. But rotate the dome a few degrees and it becomes almost inaudible. Probably as well to bite the bullet and buy one that sounds and looks as you want. Or two.
I will see what he has in stock, of course I am happy to pay for one that works :)

D

Deleted member 22539

A new bike Should come with
pedal reflectors
front and rear reflectors
and of course a bell
on the bikes ive had new they have anyway and are generally in a bag unfitted and stay that way :)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 person

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Looks like the Harvester on Bowleaze hill, over looking Weymouth Bay and Portland. Nice spot.
Did I happen to spy you guys a couple of weeks ago in the beer garden of the Black Bear at Wool ? I see a trend here if so lol

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
on the bikes ive had new they have anyway and are generally in a bag unfitted and stay that way :)
Internationally the position is different, the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic ruled that all bicycles have to have bells fitted. Whether that applies depends on whether each country is a signatory. Being a visitor with a bike is no excuse, their bikes have to be so equipped in applicable countries.

As usual the UK has the awkward rules, in most of the UK no bell has to be fitted, but Northern Ireland in the UK which has devolved transport law is signed up to the Vienna Convention so bells are compulsory there.

Montybaber

May 2, 2018
Dorset
Looks like the Harvester on Bowleaze hill, over looking Weymouth Bay and Portland. Nice spot.
Did I happen to spy you guys a couple of weeks ago in the beer garden of the Black Bear at Wool ? I see a trend here if so lol
Well spotted, yes that's the place (spyglass) at overcome corner/bowleaze a well earned Pepsi max and nothing more I promise :)

It wasn't us at Wool I'm afraid, we only bought the bikes on Tuesday afternoon but we haven't been off them since, my girlfriend is getting more and more confident and although we are moving quite slow it is great to get out and about

I am sat planning tomorrows route, thinking Purbecks/Studland

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Don't get into an accident on French or Spanish rides without one would be my advice. I have a bell like thing on the trike but am going to fit one of these:

They make a noise that gets though headphones. I often come up behind senior holiday maker pedestrians and very often after a polite bell ring the woman turns around and says "he is deaf as a post!" and drags hubby out of the way... :D

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Well spotted, yes that's the place (spyglass) at overcome corner/bowleaze a well earned Pepsi max and nothing more I promise :)

It wasn't us at Wool I'm afraid, we only bought the bikes on Tuesday afternoon but we haven't been off them since, my girlfriend is getting more and more confident and although we are moving quite slow it is great to get out and about

I am sat planning tomorrows route, thinking Purbecks/Studland
Yep, some great riding down there, watch out for the big hills ! It's a ball ache coming from the west (weymouth) to get there, having to ride on the busy main road eastwards from Weymouth. I tend to go up to Dorchester, pick up the national cycle route no.2 to wool, and then down to the purbecks from there, much nicer quieter roads.
Been out and about around there on the (non powered) road bike a lot recently, trying to get fitter for a cycle break in Italy in a few weeks time

D

Deleted member 22539

Half the time it doesn’t matter if you have a bell or 2000 plus lumens of daytime flashing lights people see you they will still stand in your way mainly on purpose because how dare you ride on the piece of ground they occupy ,
And as for dog walkers with them stupid and dare I say dangerous extension leads which most dog owners have no control over dogs on at all there beyond stupid:(
And yes I have used the word stupid a lot :)

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Half the time it doesn’t matter if you have a bell or 2000 plus lumens of daytime flashing lights people see you they will still stand in your way mainly on purpose because how dare you ride on the piece of ground they occupy ,
And as for dog walkers with them stupid and dare I say dangerous extension leads which most dog owners have no control over dogs on at all there beyond stupid:(
Most of the dog walkers I come across are pretty reasonable - hopefully we are mutually accommodating. The real animal issue I had recently was a dog walker, and a couple of children. They carefully moved to make space, the dog leash was held properly. They smiled - and warned me that their cat was also on the walk, not on any form of lead, and about two metres ahead of my front wheel....

• :D
Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 22539

Most of the dog walkers I come across are pretty reasonable - hopefully we are mutually accommodating. The real animal issue I had recently was a dog walker, and a couple of children. They carefully moved to make space, the dog leash was held properly. They smiled - and warned me that their cat was also on the walk, not on any form of lead, and about two metres ahead of my front wheel....
There cat lol
I take you missed it

D

Deleted member 4366

that pretty well mirrors my sentiments. I don't mind so much when they're on a shared footpath, but we have a lot of separated paths here in Telford, but the dog-walkers are always on the cycle path, and so are the people with headphones on. It drives me nuts, especially when the cycle path is narrow and has a kerb up to the footpath, so it's difficult to get past. One time, I had to get of my bike and shake the guy to get him off the cycle path so that I could carry on my journey.

Without question, the best bells are the bring bring type, but the modern ones have plastic thumb-levers that always break, so look out for a metal one. It seems that pedestrians are tuned to that particular sound for some reason. Second best are the big ding dong bells, and a very poor last are the ping ping type. Very loud horns and sirens are more or less completely ineffective for some reason. nobody reacts until too late, then they jump in your way instead of stepping aside.

This is one area, where the Germans have it sorted. If you put one foot on a cycle path there, someone will grab you and drag you back onto the footpath so that you don't get arrested. In China, you soon learn that you'll get mown down the moment you stray onto a cycle path.