Please ask D8veh Back

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I sometimes wonder if this forum is full of 50+ year olds going on 12.

I can also see why there is a younger Client of forum users on endless sphere for the uk ebike scene. It seems to for go some of the ballshit that's on here.

It would be nice if we all just got along.

Keep calm and carry on.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
but I don't like to see people being picked on and bullied, whoever they are.

Indalo
Well, I think we are all with you on that one.

But dont you think that personal insults are a form of bullying ?

No one is ganging up on anyone, we are all just making our thoughts known and trying to keep the peace and reinforce the need for politeness when we disagree with someones point of view, thats all.
Sometimes people can get a bit carried away in the heat of the moment, but a pause before posting never goes amiss.

Being polite isnt rocket science.... just good manners.

Lynda :)

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
Perhaps like some others amongst us, Eddie doesn't suffer fools gladly and rails against pomposity, egotism and so on a little more vocally than forum etiquette demands
He certainly does.

D8veh is a grown-up and is free to make his own decisions about what he does. Previously, he departed the forum when Flecc queried some statistics D8veh produced but everyone else understood there was no malice on Flecc's part. The stats just happened to be different from findings elsewhere but D8veh got the 'ump, as they say, at what he perceived as someone calling him a liar.
Hence the second part of my post.

There appears to be a little bit of "ganging-up" on Eddie in all of this
I think he can take care of himself! Hence my ironic remark that he might take the hump and depart. But nice to see you sticking up for the downtrodden, Indalo.

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
d8veh, if you are still looking in at this forum I certainly am very sad to belatedly hear of this situation.
Like many others here I have often enjoyed your posts and helpful advice given freely to members and hope you might reconsider your position.
Mere abuse reflects badly more on the abuser than the intended victim, it is best to let vindictive comments wash over you - water off a ducks back - sticks and stones, etc.
Maybe you were a bit stressed out when you made your decision to leave the forum, please think of the many contributors who value your insightful opinions and when feeling more relaxed I hope to see you back posting here again and in better spirits.
Best wishes for what ever you decide to do, your loss is the forums loss.
Barry.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
My, "Dirty Protest" appears to have failed to make Whosit return to the forum. I'm just going to have to switch the dishwasher on and forget about this line of protest.

However, I am still very keen to be a part of the emotional incontinence surrounding Whatsisface, so I think that I will try a candle lit vigil next. I've found some old tea-lights in the cupboard under the sink and I'll pick a few Daffs out of the garden. Once that's sorted I'll nip down to Pound Land and see if I can find a teddy-bear, then I'll be good to go. I would like to sit the teddy on something representative of an electric bicycle so that people passing by know what I am doing. I've got one of those big Smarty tubes left over from Christmas and thought that I might gaffer tape it to two saucers (cross-bar and two wheels). Next I will Sellotape a U2 battery to the Smarty tube, throw in a few wires, stick teddy on board and hey-presto, thingy on his bike!

Do you think we should release a charity single in his memory? What about Human League's, "Together in Electric Dreams"?

Last edited:

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
My, "Dirty Protest" appears to have failed to make Whosit return to the forum. I'm just going to have to switch the dishwasher on and forget about this line of protest.

However, I am still very keen to be a part of the emotional incontinence surrounding Whatsisface, so I think that I will try a candle lit vigil next. I've found some old tea-lights in the cupboard under the sink and I'll pick a few Daffs out of the garden. Once that's sorted I'll nip down to Pound Land and see if I can find a teddy-bear, then I'll be good to go. I would like to sit the teddy on something representative of an electric bicycle so that people passing by know what I am doing. I've got one of those big Smarty tubes left over from Christmas and thought that I might gaffer tape it to two saucers (cross-bar and two wheels). Next I will Sellotape a U2 battery to the Smarty tube, throw in a few wires, stick teddy on board and hey-presto, thingy on his bike!

Do you think we should release a charity single in his memory? What about Human League's, "Together in Electric Dreams"?

That deserves a reprise in its entirety Tillson.

Some people say Shakespeare was amusing and I am aware of one or two slightly funny passages in his works but the man had nothing on you. Wonderful humour borne out of a ridiculous situation, I suppose, is rather Shakespearean but you have captured the sentiments displayed by a number of contributors here imaginatively and caustically. An excellent commentary on a silly situation!

Indalo

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
I very rarely post here now, probably for much the same reason as D8veh has decided to leave. There are a small handful of rude and offensive individuals here who make it somewhere I don't really want to be a part of.

I would guess that there must be others who look in here, see some of this behaviour, and decide not to bother. I can't sum it up better than Scottyf has done, with this comment:

"I sometimes wonder if this forum is full of 50+ year olds going on 12.

I can also see why there is a younger Client of forum users on endless sphere for the uk ebike scene. It seems to for go some of the ballshit that's on here.

It would be nice if we all just got along.

Keep calm and carry on. "

Even though I rarely post on ES either at the moment (too busy with a new house build), I do have to say that it is generally a more friendly place than this forum can be at times, so it's no wonder it has such a large membership of ebike enthusiasts from all around the globe (and a lot of us there are well over 50, too!)

Jeremy

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Dave: Come back please. The offending remark was out of order. Bang out of order.
The forum as a whole should receive an apology for the loss we have suffered from a such a thoughtless remark. You also deserve an apology.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Someone pass me some more popcorn :p

Just had a lovely ride in to work in the sunshine on my EBrompton.

Regards

Jerry

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
Well, I think we are all with you on that one.

But dont you think that personal insults are a form of bullying ?

No one is ganging up on anyone, we are all just making our thoughts known and trying to keep the peace and reinforce the need for politeness when we disagree with someones point of view, thats all.
Sometimes people can get a bit carried away in the heat of the moment, but a pause before posting never goes amiss.

Being polite isnt rocket science.... just good manners.

Lynda :)
Hi.

There is no excuse for the words used in the posts which led to this situation. I believe that one or two people here appear to believe that they own all intellectual content that appears or if they don't own it they believe that they have a right to challenge any concept or idea that doesn't accord with their own perceived intellectual authority. It then follows that any alternative views are seen as a personal challenge.

I, too am very unimpressed at the way in which certain memebers respond however I would aslo say that there are other members who appear to have astonishing patience whenever dealing with questions.

None of us "own" the content of this site nor so we have the right to consider ourselves the font of all knowledge. The words used were wrong.....plain wrong and appear to be a personal attack rather than a comment. It's not about anyone looking after themselves rather it's about common courtesy.
Regards
Vectra

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Dont know what happened and not about to look it up

However, please come back d8veh, top contibutor who is highly valued

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
d8veh, scottyf, cwah and I all seem to have been spending more and more time on endless sphere of late - it's a far less judgmental place than here. I'm not suprised d8veh has departed.

There's loads of stuff I've posted on endless sphere that I wouldn't dream of posting here.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
I'm not really aware of what has been going on, but let me guess, is this anything to do with the endless discussion about the use of ebikes that are not classed as pedelecs (I can't use the word illegal bike, as that may not be strictly true if the owner has an electric bike that is being used legally on the road)?

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
When someone like D8veh (who made a big positive contribution to this forum and does a lot to help people) is driven to leave it beggars belief and makes you wonder where some people's heads are.