Please explain hub motor

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
I have a rear wheel hub motor on a 8 speed bike and it goes 21 mph in all the gears no diference so that suggests a hub motor is a direct drive only on mine is that correct?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, not necessarily, it may have planetary internal gear reduction.

The bike's gears are a different thing entirely and don't have any effect on the hub motor which rotates the wheel in it's one ratio, whether internally geared or direct drive.

The bike's gears are in the rider's chain drive line and therefore act for the rider by reducing or increasing the ratio.

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
I understand now so i could remove the chain and the bike would still drive forward with the hub motor in operation.
A cyclone motor would use the bikes gears as it is driving the chain and a low gear would give more torque and a high gear more speed i presume.:)

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Yes...... :)

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Each has it's benefits.

If sticking to 250w I would go front, easier to install and does not restrict gear choice. You also get two wheel drive.

More powerful hubs may be better placed in the rear as the drop outs tend to be stronger. Rear mounted motors probably give better traction on steep hills or slippery surfaces as well, the down side is a slightly more difficult install and a restriction on rear freewheel choice

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Each has it's benefits.

If sticking to 250w I would go front, easier to install and does not restrict gear choice. You also get two wheel drive.

More powerful hubs may be better placed in the rear as the drop outs tend to be stronger. Rear mounted motors probably give better traction on steep hills or slippery surfaces as well, the down side is a slightly more difficult install and a restriction on rear freewheel choice
Thanks NRG u have a lot of quick answers and this must be your hobby :)