Please help a first time e-bike buyer.

openlyfresh

Just Joined
Apr 10, 2014
Hi. I am very keen to get an electric bike for work. My journey to work in my car is roughly 12 miles, so a round trip would be 24 miles or so. I do cycle sometimes, but I am not a strong cyclist by any means. I weigh just over 9 stones. Due to the rising cost of parking/fuel and all the other bits I want to get rid of the car and use a bike for the daily commute. I work 7 days a week. Through work, we can get the Cycle to Work Schems (upto £1000) and through Halfords. According to their page they can source bikes as well. (http://www.cycle2work.info/siteadvicecentrebrand). I want an electric bike that looks like a mountain bike, and could has enough battery life for the above journey. The one bike that I really like the look of, and comes in under the £1000 allowance is the RooDog Striker. I called Halfords and the bloke on the phone instantly said we dont do it, without checking - was almost an answer on top of his head - straightaway. I just wanted to see if: a) the bike would be suitable for my requirements, and b) are there any companies/persons on here that know if this bike can be purchased on the Cycle Scheme. All help and advice appreciated. Thanks

Ronnyuk

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2014
Bristol
ronny.ws
The problem you are going to have is the cut that C2W take to supply the bike to you is 10%, now on that Roobike you are looking at adding 92 quid to the overall cost plus delivery plus setting the bike up.

Kudos have mountain bikes that are sold from dealers who participate in the C2W scheme and I had to get my bike sent to a dealer then supply them with the voucher.

Halfords only do a few E Bikes.

EDIT...

Sorry I just re read your post and you say you can only use Halfords? if so you are very limited. I used http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/ and they use hundreds of outlets.

Just had another look for you and the Halfords scheme seems to say they will get any bike for you, try calling Special Order Helpdesk on 08450 77 88 50

Last edited:

openlyfresh

Just Joined
Apr 10, 2014
Thanks ronnyuk for the informative bit. I didnt know about that. I did also look at the Kudos site, and the bikes that they have on the site (the Arriba, Eiger, Tornado & Typhoon) are all over the price range. The only one I like the look from their range is the Cobra which looks like the traditional MTB sort of look that I prefer. Im just trying to find some reviews on them and also to see if they are part of the scheme or not.

Ronnyuk

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2014
Bristol
ronny.ws
Yeah I was in the same boat, I bought mine a few weeks ago, I went with a mountain bike design as I do not like the look of the more "traditional" Electric Bikes.

openlyfresh

Just Joined
Apr 10, 2014
Which bike did you get? Its the shortlist that Im having trouble with now. Im finding it hard to find some other MTB ebikes that i can get through the scheme.

openlyfresh

Just Joined
Apr 10, 2014
We can only use Halfords for the scheme. If there are any advertisers here that work with Halfords (cycle to work scheme) please could you let me know so I can look on your websites to see if there are any bikes I can pick out. Thanks

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
We have supplied Halfords and under the scheme they are obliged to supply any bike you want that is registered with the scheme.
So that's all good...

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Halfords recently changed the way they operate the scheme. You used to be able to get a bike from elsewhere if Halfords could not get it (the retailer would become part of the scheme) however this appears to be no longer the case based on a fairly recent conversation with both Halfords and a potential customer.

We are a member of the independant cycle scheme and would offer a discount if people could not get bike through the scheme there company is signed up to e.g. Halfords. Alternatively we will shortly be able to offer 0% finance on all our bikes (currently only availabe on FreeGo and Wisper bikes).

Anyway good luck with the search we look forward to hearing how you get on.
David