please help: recommend me a bike/kit for Outer Hebrides

gun ainm

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 30, 2013
Hi there - great site with a wealth of information which i have been reading through with great interest. I am thinking of getting an e-bike and hope to draw on the experience and knowledge of those here in helping me make up my mind, so far i have been looking at wisper, woosh and others but am getting confused: here's what i am and want

male aged 42
weight 82kg height 5'10
fitness - moderate to decent

planned use
Outer Hebrides - on road and off (tracks), think quite hilly and often windy
Ideally want a bike that can be unrestricted for off road
hybrid/beachrider style appeals most
24 miles + range
must be reliable - no dealers on islands(?)
good lights (built in)
reasonably prepared to have a go at technicals but no training or experience in electric motors (I have giant MTB - conversion kits might be worth a look?)

pricing - this I am unsure on ideally it'd come in not over £1500 but willing to think a bit higher for the right bike - not over £2000 maybe Koga's too expensive?

many thanks for any advice help,

note due to my location it'll also be difficult for me to trial bikes before purchase

Last edited:

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi GA
Try a Google Search for "Reliable Electric Bikes" and see which brands appear...

Membership of BEBA is also a strong indication of commitment to reliability and quality.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Hi GA
Try a Google Search for "Reliable Electric Bikes" and see which brands appear...

Membership of BEBA is also a strong indication of commitment to reliability and quality.

There are also VERY reliable companies who are NOT members of BEBA. Trawl the threads, you'll get a feel for the different bikes and suppliers.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Gun,

Obviously with your location it's difficult to travel to lots of dealers to try different ebikes.
Why not see if you could come to dave's (kudos) event in Redbridge this weekend?

That way you can try lots of different bikes in one place.
Saving you travelling up and down the country to lots of dealers.

You can ride all of the bikes and see what's going to meet your criteria?

Just a thought..

Event info here -
Redbridge Event - This is the perfect opportunity to try our electric bikes at the perfect location

Regards
Martin

C

Cyclezee

Hi Gun,

Obviously with your location it's difficult to travel to lots of dealers to try different ebikes.
Why not see if you could come to dave's (kudos) event in Redbridge this weekend?

That way you can try lots of different bikes in one place.
Saving you travelling up and down the country to lots of dealers.

You can ride all of the bikes and see what's going to meet your criteria?

Just a thought..

Event info here -
Redbridge Event - This is the perfect opportunity to try our electric bikes at the perfect location

Regards
Martin
That's kind of you to lay on transport and accommodation Martin;)

BTW, it's getting on for 700 miles:eek:

gun ainm

Mar 30, 2013
That's kind of you to lay on transport and accommodation Martin;)

BTW, it's getting on for 700 miles:eek:
indeed and I don't even have the bike yet to get me there ;)

thanks for the replies,

Shem - the Outer Hebrides have been sunny and dry for over 2 weeks, probably the best weather in the UK at the minute....I am starting to think about watering the garden before the hosepipe ban!

cyclezee - nah Lewis, both islands are awesome though and agree Harris has some fantastic bits

Jimod - I have tried trawling the threads but very difficult to get much of a feel because there's so many views, i am just getting confused really. there's a lot from traders advertising their own products which is good but makes it hard to compare like for like objectively, i think i need to wait till i am next mainland bound and find a decent shop to go to..... preferably in Scotland

.....Redbridge is just a bit far for me Martin!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I don't think you will go far wrong with a Bosch equipped bike.

The system appears reliable and it tends to only be fitted to bikes that are of good quality.

De-restricting a Bosch bike is a bit of a faff with a dongle and some wiring, but there's no drag from the system so you can pedal them above 15.5mph, which means you might find you don't need to do it.

If you go for a Bosch, you will need the bigger battery - the smaller one may not give the range you require with the wind and hills.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Gun ainm

If you can get to Stornoway, one of our customers rents out Sirocco CDs.
I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you went to have a look (possibly be their first renter?) The best contact there is a really nice chap called Mike Shailes, and the telephone number is (01851) 706611.
He's also made a video, click on the link and enjoy!

Woosh Sirocco CD - a crank drive electric bike on Vimeo

Hatti

[video]www.vimeo.com/63197804[/video]

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
We have a KTM cross with Bosch motor and 400wh battery (36v 11ah) which is available for £1899. Might suit your needs? Good luck with the search!

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Shem - the Outer Hebrides have been sunny and dry for over 2 weeks, probably the best weather in the UK at the minute....I am starting to think about watering the garden before the hosepipe ban!
In that case you will probably get dealers turning up on your doorstep!:D

gun ainm

Mar 30, 2013
Hi Gun ainm

If you can get to Stornoway, one of our customers rents out Sirocco CDs.
I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you went to have a look (possibly be their first renter?) The best contact there is a really nice chap called Mike Shailes, and the telephone number is (01851) 706611.
He's also made a video, click on the link and enjoy!

Woosh Sirocco CD - a crank drive electric bike on Vimeo

Hatti

[video]www.vimeo.com/63197804[/video]
Hi Hatti - thanks for your message, I work in Sy so i'll be sure to try and track Mike down for a look - the Scirocco CD drive looks really promising (for our hills and wind, am not planning on putting on another 20KG ;))

I notice your website says you expect next delivery in early May if I wanted one of those when do you think I'd need to reserve one? the price would allow c2w scheme which is a bonus as well - what lead in time do you need for that?

these obviously have to be restricted to 15mph for road use, is there an off-road setting at all as a large part of my cycling will be on private tracks and it'd be nice to get up to 20-22 mph if possible (and the bike is capable of delivering that)?

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Hi Hatti - thanks for your message, I work in Sy so i'll be sure to try and track Mike down for a look - the Scirocco CD drive looks really promising (for our hills and wind, am not planning on putting on another 20KG ;))

I notice your website says you expect next delivery in early May if I wanted one of those when do you think I'd need to reserve one? the price would allow c2w scheme which is a bonus as well - what lead in time do you need for that?

these obviously have to be restricted to 15mph for road use, is there an off-road setting at all as a large part of my cycling will be on private tracks and it'd be nice to get up to 20-22 mph if possible (and the bike is capable of delivering that)?
I don't expect to see Hatti be happy about customers desrestricting her bikes!

gun ainm

Mar 30, 2013
presumabley they restrict them to comply with the law rather than because the bike needs it?....in that case why would there be an issue with de-restricting for off-road use on private tracks? but if Hatti is unhappy with the idea then I am sure she can articulate that for herself. still thanks for your helpful comments :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

presumabley the restrict them to comply with the law rather than because the bike needs it....in that case why would there be an issue with de-restricting for off-road use on private tracks? but if Hatti is unhappy with the idea then I am sure she can articulate that for herself. still thanks for your helpful comments :p
Correct. The retailers cannot really give you information on de-restricting their bikes because of legal liabilities, but if you have a look on the Woosh kit and Sirocco CD review threads, there's info on how to adjust the speed limit up to 24mph or 27mph. Changing the speed limit doesn't add any power. The extra speed can only be realised downhill, with the wind behind you or when you pedal hard enough. The motor/controller combination are designed for the higher speed limit, so there shouldn't be any mechanical down-side. In fact I'm sure it's better for them than the constant cutting in and out of power at 15 mph.