PMT - power meter trouble

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
As a newcomer to the serious business of ebikes, and being rather unfit to boot, I find that not knowing how much power the battery will allow me to finish my journey a source of some continual stress. The standard battery level meter has a four light indicator of dubious integrity. After a while the lights start to extinguish one by one as expected, only to flicker right back on after another while. Could I be riding over some sort of magnetic leyline which reinvigourates my battery, or is it more likely to be a kind of extra terrestial high jinks which is spiking my power meter?
BTW. I live with my tonaro on a hill in a range of hills please help!

DK2

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 7, 2011
Don't worry about it. The reason for the lights going out and coming back on again is that sometimes you draw a lot of current for instance up-hill which put some strain on the battery, and when you are drawing less power then the light omes back on.

I Ride an Enduro and If you use pedalec theres plenty of power to long trips depending on your weight, terrain, level of assit and how much you use pedalec. Some ride 30 miles or more on a charge on the 36V 10 amp battery.

But try for yourselves. Pick a round trip near your home, and keep riding it untill you are out of power.

D

Deleted member 4366

A wattmeter is the most reliable device to show the state of you battery. It'll show the actual volts as well as how many of your 10aH you've used so that you can predict quite accurately when your battery will cut out. The cheapest ones are about £18 but requires some work to get them how you want them, or the Cycle Analyst, which costs about £110 direct from the supplier and is ready to fit and is a really worthwhile addition to any ebike. It shows speed info as well as electrical info and keeps all the history.

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
cheers chaps. I ride to a trail, do a few forestry tracks and ride back, depleted. how much i never know but as you say, experience will out. And as you suggest a watt meter would be the thing, i'm jus surprised the manf. havnt included an adequate piece of equipment for the job. All that money they want!:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's also the chemistry factor in lithium based cells. High current draw drops the voltage and readout, but the relative rest of lower drain allows some gradual chemical recovery, leading to meter readings rising again. This makes any form of on-the-spot metering subject to some error.