Post-Winter potholes

alfie

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2011
Oops :eek: ... not good ! Hitting a pothole at speed or being too heavy on the front brake can easily cause you to get flipped over the handlebars.

Does sounds like you probably landed on your head. Last time I actually got thrown over the bars I landed on my wrist .. put my arm forward to protect my head from impact - and of course broke my wrist in the process ! Seemingly more fragile than a tough nut ;) Blackouts very common after trauma ... but how are we meant to learn from our experiences when the brain insists on locking the grotty bits away like that ? :)

Do have to be careful on high speed DH descents. If the bike doesn't feel happy take the speed down in a controlled way - lots of back brake and progressive but firm front brake. Was your bike OK ?

In fairness it's all cycling that carries dangers not just eBiking. Hats off anyway to the people who got you scraped off the tarmac and the A&E for sorting you out. Shame the rest of the NHS don't follow their lead more as they really are the nuts when it comes to quality care. :cool:
The bike needed a new 3 speed switch and changer. I replaced the v brakes with better quality ones just to be on the safe side. Commuting to work is a bit hairy in the rush hour but the accident took place on a straight deserted stretch of road on a Sunday!

You may find it takes several weeks to return to normal from a bash on the head. It was about 6 weeks with me.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
All the best with recovery - sounds as if you've probably got off relatively lightly.

Head injuries are weird - I got mashed up about 10 years back, when a motorbike hit me broadside on. My right leg was in plaster for 8 months, plus all sorts of other damage, and I've absolutely no recollection of any of it. There's a gap of about 24 hours in which I was conscious and talking rationally etc, but it's all gone from the brain.

Take it easy and get well soon.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nonsense. In the grand scheme of things cycling isn't really very dangerous at all.
For me personally that's also true, but it's far from a universal truth as reported only a week ago:

"In London 2% of the journeys are by cycling, but cycling accounts for 20% of the road casualties".

I've no idea of the precise accuracy of that statistic, but it's certain that far more cyclists than drivers end up in London's A & E departments, but drivers outnumber them by a huge proportion. Even London's pedestrians fare far better than cyclists, despite outnumbering them by at least 30 to 1.

So sorry, it's undeniable that cycling is overall the most dangerous way to get about in London

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hi Alex

Hope you are getting over your spill And all a Xipi wish you well

As For the NHS The best health service in the world We don't Know how good till we need it It is staffed by some incredible dedicated Professionals and the Nurses are all ANGELS both the men and the women

Frank
You are totally right there Frank and it would be even better providing that the staff are not overworked by doing those very long and unhealthy hours,which up to now, i'm still trying my utmost best to comprehend.

Mountainsport.

AlMel

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2013
Essonne, France
You are totally right there Frank and it would be even better providing that the staff are not overworked by doing those very long and unhealthy hours,which up to now, i'm still trying my utmost best to comprehend.

Mountainsport.
Up to a few years ago, the hours were so long they were inhuman. EU law forced their reduction. The same law the current prime minister wishes to repatriate. He has specifically said that he wants more ‘flexibility’ in setting working time in the NHS. A return to the bad old days will be noxious to everyone’s health.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Mountainsport.
The working hour reports need to be examined and interpreted though. I remember when hospital junior doctors were reported as working a 110 hour week, but it wasn't in fact true. This "working" week turned out to be the period that they were on standby to be called upon to perform duties, not the actual week they worked.

On that basis at one time I "worked" the whole 168 hours every week, since I had a job when it was possible for me to be called upon at any time 24 hours a day. In practice that was the easiest job I ever had, doing very little actual work, some weeks none at all.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Cycling carries dangers but I don't think it's inherently especially dangerous. Sometimes you just get unlucky and it's usually due to momentary distraction, brake failure, poor loading and bike balance, taking risks etc. if you cause a crash - or just bad luck if you're crashed into.

Helps to make sure your bike is well balanced and loaded too. It's OK now but I'm positive the handling of my Trek will improve a lot when the weight is redistributed as at the moment it's too rear-heavy with motorwheel and battery on rack if a pannier is attached in addition.

Using a single pannier inevitably causes weight imbalance - I can't be bothered to take 2 out with me most times. You get away with it on a huge long wheelbase 700C like Agattu without much difficulty but on a 26" compact MTB It's not the best arrangement.

Very light frame with a race wheel up front so the rear/front weight distribution is excessively loaded to the rear. Pulling the big battery and controller weights into the triangle will redistribute the load and allow rack to be used for extras instead of side panniers, which just get in the way and unbalance the bike if heavy stuff being carried on one side. Having retraced what happened I'm pretty sure I could have recovered that pothole impact without mishap if I'd loaded the bike better. Lesson learned and grounded now so no excuse to procrastinate over implementing the mods !

The bike needed a new 3 speed switch and changer. I replaced the v brakes with better quality ones just to be on the safe side. Commuting to work is a bit hairy in the rush hour but the accident took place on a straight deserted stretch of road on a Sunday!

You may find it takes several weeks to return to normal from a bash on the head. It was about 6 weeks with me.
Bike damage wise you got off OK by the sounds of it:cool:. It's often the way that you get caught out when you're least expecting it and in circumstances which ought not to be hazardous. Maybe because one's not so vigilant when all ahead looks fine. Decent set of brakes is one thing I've never had any issue with shelling out for. A solid and worthwhile investment.

Yes it'll be a wee while before all is completely back to normal. But doing way better than I was expecting after initial aftermath. Might not be 20-something any more but not quite 40 either so hoping I can still bounce back reasonably easily.

hope your soon back ... on two wheels.:)
So do I - missing it already, snowflakes notwithstanding :)

All the best with recovery - sounds as if you've probably got off relatively lightly.

Head injuries are weird - I got mashed up about 10 years back, when a motorbike hit me broadside on. My right leg was in plaster for 8 months, plus all sorts of other damage, and I've absolutely no recollection of any of it. There's a gap of about 24 hours in which I was conscious and talking rationally etc, but it's all gone from the brain.

Take it easy and get well soon.
Thanks. Yes I was extremely fortunate, Hugh. The paramedics told me I was lucky to have survived at all the way I impacted the wall after they spoke with the people who witnessed it. Perhaps being a "lightweight" saved my bacon this round ! Sounds like you had a serious knock with that motorbike. Breaking a leg is a really awful setback and as for the idea of 8 months in plaster ..... would go absolutely bonkers !!!

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Really sorry to hear about your accident Alex, just take things a bit easier for now and get well very soon.

Big hugs

Lynda:)

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Just read your post about your accident Alex. Sorry to hear about it and I'm glad you're recovering. Best wishes for a speedy, full recovery. I hope your bike wasn't too badly damaged. Re crash helmets, my wife managed to fall off her ebike a few weeks ago but her injuries were slight compared to yours. However it was only when she got home and took her helmet off that she realised from dirt and scrapes on it that it had been in contact with the ground - fortunately a compacted earth-type path rather than a tarmac surface. Helmets now worn at all times!

Jim

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Bike's all OK and everything that took a knock repaired so all :cool: on that front.

On a happy note I got back on a bike today - the Kalkhoff this time as I'm doing further mods to the Trek. Was nice to be back in the saddle. :).

Have to say though I'm now acutely aware of the road surface conditions as every bump is wince-inducing in the head division. I did my best not to perform a rendition of the Muppaphone on the way to Maplins lol.

The Muppet Show Muppophone - YouTube

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
So sorry, it's undeniable that cycling is overall the most dangerous way to get about in London
apart from a Motorcycle that is :(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
apart from a Motorcycle that is :(
Maybe, though the authorities continue to muddle things by quoting "serious injuries and deaths" as one figure to make it look worse. We know what a death is, but what is a serious injury, opinions vary widely?