Powabyke 6x Sl

richard freeman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 7, 2010
Im thinking of buying a powabyke 6 SL . 21 inch frame . i only need it to get to work and back, 5 miles of hills each way . the price is about £875. Im looking for something , strong and reliable .. so far this seems to be the best choice for the price . Does anybody know if im ' making a mistake ' . Any advice anyone has to offer would be welcome ... thanks ... Richard .

richard freeman

Oct 7, 2010
Hi Richard

If you can recharge your battery at work then the X6 will do the job, I use mine for a 10 mile each way hilly commute.

If you get in touch with powerbyke via their website Powabyke, Electrically powered bikes : Electric Bikes & Electric Scooters they'll be able to point you in the direction of a local dealer so you can test ride one.

Patrick
Thanks ... i only need to go 4 miles each way . but its hilly . I am almost gonna buy a POWABYKE X6 SL ...it has a bigger frame , is step through and has thinner wheels ..do you think thats ok ? .. i kinda prefered it to the MB style of the other bikes . I found a dealer but they were out of stock ...its more a case of just ordering one . but im trying to be careful not to buy the wrong bike . just wanna get to work and back really . want something reliable .

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
If you've decided on an X6 then the X6 LS's frame is probably the more practical, the advantages of the diamond frame aren't particulary important for on road assisted riding while the main advantage of the low step frame (easier to get on and off) is.

richard freeman

Oct 7, 2010
Powabyke Or Oxygen Emate City

Im nearly going to buy a Powabyke x6 LS but then i saw the Oxygen Emate city ...Its a hilly 4 mile commute to work along a country rd and i was thinking the Oxygen would be better in the snow and on the pot hole ridden cycle path ...also battery and motor all seem better ...The front wheel drive on the PowaByke seems weaker and has steering proplems apparently ... But on the Oxygen im seeing stuff about handle bars (too low) and the actual bike being too small ...Im 6/2 would the Oxygen be too small ? ..... Am i right in assuming that the Oxygen is an allround better bike ? ... Would i be wiser to save another 300 quid and get a much better bike , battery etc ?

cheers Richard

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi Richard....I had an X6 and I found that the weight on the front wheel made it very unstable when turning at low speed.
Imagine trying to turn right at walking pace with traffic flying past in both directions at 30 mph.
Because of this unstability I came off a couple of times and on one occasion it really shook me up...mind you mine was not a step through...it may be different.
Others have said this is not a problem but be sure to consider this before purchase.

I recently bought an Urban Mover Sprite and I'm delighted with it, I did consider an Oxygen but it doesn't or it didn't, have a kill button and I felt that this was important.

You do know that Halfords offer a range of Urban Mover step throughs with an excellent range (50 kms.)...less than £800 I think.
I don't know the frame sizes but I feel that one of these would be a better choice than the X6....got to be worth a visit to your local Halfords.

good luck....Mike

fatts

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2009
west wales
Hi
I have not suffered any odd steering probs with powabykes I have ridden why not look on there website for your local dealer and give one a try then you will know for sure. what suits one may be bad for another so go try some out.
happy cycling
Fatts:)

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Bit of personal info needed here, Richard.

How big are you (i.e. are you slim/normal/fat?)
How fit are you (do you ride a non-electric bike)?

The bike you're looking at is fine, but for more money you will get a stronger, possibly more powerful bike. Hence the questions. If you're old, fat, and not very fit, then as a rule of thumb, the more powerful battery the better!

Oh, and potholes are potholes. Avoiding them is favourite. Living and riding in one of the pothole capitals of the UK (NW London), my hydraulically suspended front forks don't help much...

Allen. (Old, fat, and not very fit, on a Wisper 905se)
|Wis

richard freeman

Oct 7, 2010
On the way home i looked in a cycle shop . Outside was a GIANT TWIST

Bit of personal info needed here, Richard.

How big are you (i.e. are you slim/normal/fat?)
How fit are you (do you ride a non-electric bike)?

The bike you're looking at is fine, but for more money you will get a stronger, possibly more powerful bike. Hence the questions. If you're old, fat, and not very fit, then as a rule of thumb, the more powerful battery the better!

Oh, and potholes are potholes. Avoiding them is favourite. Living and riding in one of the pothole capitals of the UK (NW London), my hydraulically suspended front forks don't help much...

Allen. (Old, fat, and not very fit, on a Wisper 905se)
|Wis
thanks for the help every one . On the way home i looked in a cycle shop (in the town i work) Outside was a GIANT TWIST step through .the price was about near 1300 quid but they have reduced it to 750 ....The shop is an old traditional bike shop in Kenilworth(trusted) . I think they hated the electric bike ..Someone had ordered it and didn't like it and so they want rid ... You have to pedal it but it went fine up a hill once in the right gear . Its basically brand new . It has 2 lithium battery's 26 volts each . Its a big bike with with a motor on the front wheel .
i shook the mans hand for 700 and said id pay tommorrow after work . Now im worried ive made a mistake , its good that im saving money and i trust the bike is ok . Its just i was really looking forward to not having to pedal if i didn't want to ... and now im thinking the Oxygen looks really good .... the Giant however does seem sturdy and would certainly get me to work and back ... what to do !?

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
If you don't want to pedal...don't pedal....you won't stop moving.
I've always said that the one drawback with walking was that you couldn't stop, if you wanted to keep moving that is....a design fault I think.

My UM44S Sprite doesn't even have a throttle...I never wanted one....I want to pedal, we all need a bit of excercise and I get that bit of help that makes pedaling easy and if I want to stop pedaling I stop...the bike doesn't.

....Mike

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
....just a thought...you're only a few miles from Cheltenham..the UK home of UM.
....ring Mark Loveridge, tell him you've spoken to one of his customers in the forum and he may well show you the available models and lend you a demo for the afternoon.
...what you got to lose ? ....a couple of gallons of fuel ?

....Mike

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Choose a bike that you find comfortable to ride, is pleasing to your eye and will be cheap to maintain (try before you buy, and check the cost of spare parts, especially the battery).

Compare the weight of the frame, the type of battery (choose a Lithium Ion) and then the voltage, amp hours and watts. Ignore the dealers claim about range. It's Volts, Watts and AHs you should compare, the more of each the better.

For the journey you describe a 10AH battery will be fine.

Good luck!

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Oxygens are a known name, and Twists a known bike.

So as you're buying from a trusted bike shop, I'd say keep to your handshake and buy it.

Disadvantages: could be that it's done a few thousand miles, had its quota of charges, and the battery will need replacing. But on the other hand, having paid £700, you have some spare cash to put towards a battery!

If you're right, and someone bought it, didn't like it, and took it back, different matter. You're getting an almost-new bike at a big discount.

Use the 'search' facility on this site: have a gander at Oxygen/Twist reports. You will find a few negative ones, of course, but also some praising them.

(OldTimer is one reliable guy. Read his comments:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/6238-got-my-hands-oxygen-couple-weeks.html?highlight=oxygen+twist
and feel better).

Unless you're paying top dollar from a top dealer you are ALWAYS going to be gambling, and your gamble doesn't sound too bad a deal.

Good luck...

Allen.

Last edited:

Marchant

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2010
Bath, UK
Got to say that after 250 miles I'm very impressed with my Oxygen emate City. My daily commute is 7 miles each way with a steep hill either end (or a deep valley in the middle, whichever way you look at it), a daunting fast A road which I would be really unhappy attempting to cycle without the assistance the Oxygen gives me. I don't use the throttle and since my fitness has crept up over the aforementioned 250 miles I now find I don't have to drop below 3rd gear on even the steepest parts of the route. I'm getting just short of 40 miles per charge which is very fair for such a demanding route, and best of all, I'm not bathed in sweat when I arrive at my desk. A great investment all round and I would not hesitate to recommend the Oxygen Emate City to anyone who asks. I'm just an idle punter incidentally, and have no connection with any bike manufacturer or retailler...