Powabyke controller problem

Chrissy

Just Joined
Jan 23, 2012
Newquay
After ten years of good use, my Powabyke (21-speed model with control box on handlebars) has let me down. On opening the control box, I see that heat damage on the 7-pin plug/socket has caused a break in power to the motor. Having cleaned it up and replugged, it works OK again. I want to replace the plug and socket though. P'byke don't have any and I can't find the same thing at Maplins or RS...so has anyone any ideas? I could hard solder the wire to the board, but I'd rather not.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Welcome to the forum Chrissy. There are several members here who are wizards with electrickery so I'm sure one will be along soon with an easy answer to your dilemma.

Indalo

D

Deleted member 4366

It would be easier for us to advise if you could show a photo of your problem.

stemil

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
Twickenham
Hi Chrissy, I have had that problem in the past, on exactly the same bike. I ended up soldering the connections directly to the board as I was told by an independent Powabyke repairer that it was how they repaired them.
That was about 3 years ago but now the whole board has blown and as you say spares are no longer available.
I am waiting for a new controller to arrive, which I hope will remedy the problem, unfortunately it's being sent from Hong Kong so could be a while yet.
This is the controller-

36V 250W brush motor controller for Electric bicycle & scooter | eBay

Cheap enough to take a risk.

Good luck.