Powabyke cuts out on full throttle.

ljohn

Just Joined
Apr 10, 2011
I've got a 24 speed euro powabyke, and i am now struggling with replacing my second throttle at a respectable price (after about 5,000 kms). The magnets break off the powabyke ones too, and although i have tried supergluing, it doesn't seem to work very well. I bought a GBP 7.95 e scooter throttle at e bay

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

fitted perfectly, but i found the best combination of wires made the throttle on when off and off when on (and only in another less useful combination would it do the self analysis). I could have lived with this, except for the fact that it only seemed to be running at half power when it was on. So no good. I ownder if it was only suitable for another voltage. Mine is 36v.

D

Deleted member 4366

Nothing to do with the voltage and now you have the wiring correct. It seems that the Powerbike's throttle/controller or these throttles work in reverse. To sort it, you have to dismantle the throttle and flip the magnets. Use a compass to see which way round they are, or mark them with a permanent marker first in case you drop one.

ljohn

Just Joined
Apr 10, 2011
Many thanks, d8veh (from a telfordian emigré).

I swopped the magnets as suggested (also apologies for not having seen your previous posts (they would have saved me a lot of faffing about with the wires if i had)). Unfortunately, as i say the reversedness is not a problem, the low power the new throttle gave was.

However, i have had a chance to fiddle about again this afternoon and have discovered the following that may or may not be of use.

1. The magnets in new throttle were, as suggested by other commenters, actually both of the same polarity.

2. By swopping them over, and turning them around as you suggested, till optimum position achieved, I got the throttle working correctly but still with low power (and no system self analysis (which my powabyke does if you turn on with the throttle in the on position)).

3. I put my old sensor back on the handlebars and tried it with the new throttle grip and, oddly, it worked backwards (with the new throttle magnets in reverse). So i changed the new throttle mangets back to their original position (tho I don't think both with the same polarity; i am now pretty confused. I 'll report when i have time to work it out) and the throttle worked correctly (new throttle grip, old sensor base). Including the self analysis and full power, too. Therefore the low power problem must reside in the new sensor, not in the new magnets.

4. I finally superglued the magnets back on the old throttle, and put that back on, and the old throttle is therefore working correctly (till one the magnets crack off again). But when that happens, i have the new throttle to slip back on in its place. (The new throttle magnets are smaller than the official powabyke ones, but it doesn't seem to be a problem).

The moral of the story is that it appears to be the sensor in the new throttle produces low power in my 36v system.

cyprus40

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 20, 2011
hi there

i had the same problem with my 6 speed euro powabyke and the problem is in the throttle handle it self.
You need to buy and replace the throttle handle on the bike.

The problem is within the throttle, it has a small kind of chip there which senses the throttle movement and that chip goes wrong or has been moved from its original place, it happens if the throttle is use harshly, it breaks the internal plastic parts.

hope this helps.

Powabyke Spares & Accessories, Buy Spares, Upgrade and Accessories for your Powabyke on-line : Electric Bikes & Electric Scooters

if you go down the list of parts, you'll see the throttle there.

Euro Bike Throttle (2005 – 2010 Models)
Price: £35.00

Replacement throttle for our 6 and 24 speed Euro Model built after 2005 – 3 pin green connector - please check your original for the number of pins and connector colour.

bye

ljohn

Just Joined
Apr 10, 2011
thanks for your comments, cyprus. I had located the original pb part, but, like previous posters in this thread, i was hoping for a slightly more accessible replacement.

all the best.

laurenisit

Just Joined
Mar 7, 2013
hi, my euro 6 powabyke fell and the throttle snapped close tothe end of the throttle, all the wires were squeezed to gether, i stood the bike up and turned the ignition key and the bike shot of at full speed, i had another throttle from an old bike which i knew was working, i opened up the controller couldnt believe the amount of wires inside, it was like looking in a tin of spaghetti, anyhow i managed to replace the throttle after about 10 hours, turned the ignition key and the bike shot off at full speed again, seems as though the throttle has no control, any help would be much appreciated, totally baffled 76 year old, rely n my bike to get me up to my golf course, fingers crossed, tommy.

D

Deleted member 4366

Powerbike throttles often work backwards for some reason, so check whether your throttle will cut the power if you open it. If it does, you need to swap the magnets over.

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
I've just had a similar issue with a pedal sensor, would work intermittently, pulled all the wiring out, tested, retested, scratched heads. Then just wound the pedals backwards to get a better view and the bloody thing started up. The magnet disc was on backwards! Grrr.

laurenisit

Just Joined
Mar 7, 2013
Powerbike throttles often work backwards for some reason, so check whether your throttle will cut the power if you open it. If it does, you need to swap the magnets over.
thanks for answering, as i said i tried another throttle, and i know for sure it is ok because it works on my older bike, baffled to why it wont work on this one, i did try to work it in reverse but no, i just turn the ignition key and its off at top speed, the thought of openig up that controller again, is terrifying.

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
Hi then, this seems to be the place to ask this.
We picked up a 2002 21 speed euro (I think) and like others mentioned-

in one mode you pedal just to get going and then use throttle to go once moving. In the other, you have to pedal and hold open the throttle, it defeats the object of having two modes if you ask me.. after all if you don't want to use any assistance you can get that by leaving the bike switched off ;) Odd.

by the sound of the earlier posts then, the throttle may be either broken or backwards. Or perhaps powabykes just have a strange way of working.

Anyway it will do for now but not ideal. I may look at it and try reversing the throttle once I get hold of the bike, but let's say I source a simple and cheap button some time in future, could that bring a new problem if the bike cannot do its diagnostics with it?

It's great that people help each other out on here. Thanks for any consideration given.