Powabyke loss of power solved ??

Swinswin25

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 1, 2011
Leicester
Hi having had the bike stop pulling me up hills I took it apart and found the small cog with a horse shoe clip holding it in place when removed and cleaned has safty system not seen till removed the round spindle that goes through the middle of the cog has 2 flat sides and the cog has what looks like the letter H in the top the 2 downrights of the H hold a rubber and a metal shim thin strip that on my bike had broken and so dint grip the spindle causing loss of power under strain but enough when on the flat. I do have pics but can't work out how to uploa. As part of the reccomended regreas each year you are next to this cog so well worth a check my brother is making new shims for me as there not of the shelf items as they are about 5x10mm rectangle as thick as a sowing needl. I have collected lots of pics to help do the service and hope to put them on here when I can
Hope this helps
From Paul

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Hi Paul. I do hope that you find a way to upload those photos. You do not say what model of Powabyke you have, but I would guess that it is the Euro model with front hub drive, and lead acid batteries. In my area there are a lot of these bikes still in use. This is a problem I have read about previously. As I understand it from your description, The cog wheel or gearwheel is not fixed rigidly to its shaft, so the rubber and shim alows a bit of relative movement between the gearwheel and its shaft. Separate parts do not seem to be available for these hubs, so we need to share all the information we can.

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
If you haven't added pics before it's in the help, but this may help-

Try to make sure that the picture files are a sensible size, people are more likely to help if the pictures fit comfortably on their screen without having to mess around to see them (VGA or 640 x 480 is more than big enough for most pictures). ( and you can resize in the rather good free Irfanview if needed).
If you *have* to upload bigger pictures then provide links to the pictures so people can choose which to download. Use a picture hosting site if you don't have your own web space already, it's possibly a better choice anyway for most of us. Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket are one site that does free photo hosting.
Click on the icon in your quick reply/create message that looks like a picture in a frame on the toolbar- it says Insert Image in the info bubble when you hover the mouse over it if you have that option enabled. That brings up a dialog box so you can select the picture you want to show.
To insert a link to your pictures choose the icon of earth with a chain link at the bottom.

Swinswin25

Jun 1, 2011
Leicester
Pics on there way

Sorry but yes it's a euro with front hub motor it's form 2000 so one of the first gen. As for pics I use an iPod and it can't send them thanks to flash and apple not talking but will put them on my laptop and they will all be uploaded and a full break down of motor so just god to help the DIY chaps like me all the best

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Hi Paul. I am running a similar bike, mine has the 5 speed gears, and the motion sensor fitted on the rear hub, so it is 2001 or earlier. Look forward to seeing your photos when you get them sorted. There is quite a bit of information available on these bikes, but very little about the inside of the front hub.

Swinswin25

Jun 1, 2011
Leicester
pics are now in members gallery under powabyke cog euro i have shown a pic of the wheel with grease in it and yes its loads but thats what it needs, i plan to post more when im re building the bike as to help all if any of the staff want to rearange this blog and pics or post on other sites then please doso as this should get to as many people as poss as ive spent a lot of time and money to get a working bike thats in bits but fingers crossed will be on the road soon LOL.....

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Paul, I checked your pictures out, and they look like they will be a big help next time I attempt some hub maintenance. Your bike looks identical to mine. I have had mine for about 3 months and had loads of fun with it . Actually, I think you may have overdone the grease, as I think it should be confined to the gear case, that is to say the area under the inner cover which is held on with 6 screws. Too much grease will eventually foul the brushes and commutator, in the other side of the hub. If you want to get into that side to inspect it, here is how to do it if you dont know .
First you have to strip the connector for the hub wires . Carefully remove the 2 brass terminal blades from the connector block, using a thick needle to press down the retaining tabs . Leave the terminals on the wire ends , and mark which terminal goes in which hole in the block. Remove all nuts and washers from leftside of wheel, noting the order in which they fit. Push the wires into the spindle whilst pulling out the whole motor/gearbox assembly from the right side of the hub . The left half of the spindle is a separate piece, which stays in the left side hub wall. You can now inspect/ clean brushes and commutator . Make a note of wire colours so that you do not wrongly assemble connector block and get the wires crossed. Service manual is available for this bike , just ask .

Last edited:

Swinswin25

Jun 1, 2011
Leicester
Hi thanks for that but I found these pic from another site and when I greased the bike last year (I used lithium high melting point grease) and it all disappeared DOH this time I'll use red Teflon bike grease as in the picture but with in reason as I think that's over kill. I'm putting new brushes in they cost £38 made to order I got all new screws 3p each used about 50 and even got a new screwdriver to fit so no more damaged heads can't tell the other half but from the £100 I paid 11 months ago I've now spent another £200 and it will be back on the road it may need a new throtle £55 and or controller £70 but I'm sure that's it then it'll be on eBay £50 Ono just joking lol see ya.....

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Ok Paul. Sooner than spend £70 on a new controller, you can buy a Chinese one for £15 to 20. The same applies to the throttle. Also, why not take your old brushes to a local place that sells spares for washing machines and hoovers, or power tools. You could well find a match at half the price.I try to keep spending to a minimum, because long term I may want to upgrade to a more modern, lighter bike .Having said that , I am sometimes surprised at what Powabykes fetch on Ebay, even non working ones. Makes mine a bargain at the £85 I paid.

Swinswin25

Jun 1, 2011
Leicester
Yes long story short I'm a tek freak and cheap scate and big on DIY the cheap throttles even with the same colour wire dont always work as I got one and it only went on full spead and I had to turn the key to stop the power I still hear my wife laughing as I dissapeard in to the forest. I've got a watch on a controller £16 eBay but I love the look of the original so will probably pay the extra. And I think I want a new bike light and cool but I realy like the euro plod along tank mines painted aubergine purple hamerite smoth, they don't make it now so thanks for the help but yes I'm mad euro for me

Swinswin25

Jun 1, 2011
Leicester
As for brushes I went mad and had them made as after a lot of research I found our ones are high grade and the ones in drills are not so the spark, the size are 6mm x 6mm x 18mm this size just is not made as the best I found was 5x6 and that won't do as to movement. Hope this helps

stemil

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
Twickenham
Regarding the gearbox shims, I see that there is a set on ebay at the moment and also some other stuff by the same seller -

Item No 170840821252

russell

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2008
Ok Paul. Sooner than spend £70 on a new controller, you can buy a Chinese one for £15 to 20. The same applies to the throttle. Also, why not take your old brushes to a local place that sells spares for washing machines and hoovers, or power tools. You could well find a match at half the price.I try to keep spending to a minimum, because long term I may want to upgrade to a more modern, lighter bike .Having said that , I am sometimes surprised at what Powabykes fetch on Ebay, even non working ones. Makes mine a bargain at the £85 I paid.
Hi the information is wonderful on this web site,, I am 70 years of age and replacing genuine parts for my 6 gear Euro is frightening,, so I would very much appreciate any information you can give me regarding the cheaper controller £15-20 and the cheaper throttle... I have looked on Ebay but I cant understand the technical details and if they would be suitable or not.. I have sent the sellers many questions but they cant give me any idea if they are suitable or not,,, thank you again everybody....

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Hi Russel. The first thing you need to check is if your motor is a brush motor or a brushless motor. I believe it is a brush motor , but it is easy to check. Examine the wiring where it enters the motor, there will de a plug and socket, usually enclosed in a plastic tube . If there are only 2 wires going into the motor at this point it is a brush motor. Brushless motors have 5 usually. Buy a controller to suit a brush motor, if this is the type you have. You need a 36 volt controller, that will handle at least 25 amps peak. [ Peak= for short bursts]. Try to buy a throttle and controller from the same supplier, and ask him to confirm that they are compatible. If the pedelec function is important to you, as opposed to throttle only, check if the controller has that option. I hope someone with practical experience of controller replacement will join in.
Actually, are you sure you need a new controller. It is a strong possibility that if the bike works on full throttle with the wrong throttle, that the controller is ok. How many wires go into the original throttle? Do you have a multimeter, and know how to use it? It is better if, with help, you can pin down the exact fault, rather than waste money on unnecessary parts.

Last edited:

russell

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2008
Hi Russel. The first thing you need to check is if your motor is a brush motor or a brushless motor. I believe it is a brush motor , but it is easy to check. Examine the wiring where it enters the motor, there will de a plug and socket, usually enclosed in a plastic tube . If there are only 2 wires going into the motor at this point it is a brush motor. Brushless motors have 5 usually. Buy a controller to suit a brush motor, if this is the type you have. You need a 36 volt controller, that will handle at least 25 amps peak. [ Peak= for short bursts]. Try to buy a throttle and controller from the same supplier, and ask him to confirm that they are compatible. If the pedelec function is important to you, as opposed to throttle only, check if the controller has that option. I hope someone with practical experience of controller replacement will join in.
Actually, are you sure you need a new controller. It is a strong possibility that if the bike works on full throttle with the wrong throttle, that the controller is ok. How many wires go into the original throttle? Do you have a multimeter, and know how to use it? It is better if, with help, you can pin down the exact fault, rather than waste money on unnecessary parts.
Thank you so much for the very quick reply...The problem I have is that earlier on this year I noticed that the wire coming from the hub into a connecting block looked very oddgy so I decided to tidy it up and make it waterproof, unfortunately I wasn't as careful as I should have been when connecting the 2 wires back up into a waterproof box and as a result when I switched back on it shorted out, I looked at the wiring again and decovered my clumsy fix had allowed the 2 wires to touch. I sorted that out but now when I turn the power key on the hub turns at full throttle without touching the throttle....I emailed Frank at Powabyke who advised that I had shorted the controller out somewhere and that I would need a new controller at £65 and a new throttle,,,cant remember how much..silly old fool that I am,,,I love my old Powabyke and rely on it to help me get a liitle exersize in my old age. It is a brushless motor

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi russell
I have in my Bits Box A new brushed controller and throttle 36 volt 32 amps 800 watts

please email me your address and I will post to you if it works OK you can send me £20

Email frank@xipi.co.uk

Frank

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
@Russel. Franks offer sounds brilliant to me. Please remember that it may not be a case of "Plug and Play". Seek help before connecting anything if in doubt. Once that "magic smoke" escapes, the damage is irreversible.Hopefully Frank will send a diagram of connections.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The old SLA Powabykes like the Euro all have a brush motor. They only eventually sourced a brushless motor for the X bikes.

stemil

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
Twickenham
I have replaced the motor controller on a Powabyke Euro, you really need to use a unit of the correct rating, ie 36v 250 watts, I used this one- ebay item 220875379732 which works great.
Unfortunately a std Powabyke throttle does not work with this unit, but ebay item 320795877868 does, the only downside being that the wires have to be extended as they are a bit on the short side, I used the original Powabyke throttle wire cut off long enough to rejoin if required. The wire colours on the new throttle match the colour on the new controller, which is handy.
Connecting everything up can be made much easier with ebay item 170711501780, 3.9mm bullet connectors as they go straight on the connectors fitted to the motor controller.
You will need to solder double wires from the motor and neg terminal to single connectors though, I also did not use the brake cut off switch as my bike did not have provision for it and I can't remember if you join the wires or not to get the controller to work, but it's one of the two and all fairly straightforward.
The total cost being about 20 quid.
I hope this saves you some grief.

Last edited: