Powacycle Charger Problem

Del 80

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2012
Lincolnshire
Hello, the charger for my Powacycle Salisbury seems to have died, no red light, no green light....nothing, have checked fuse in plug, it's o.k......is there anything else that I can do ?........Del.

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
Start saving your pocket money up, they are expensive. Or one of the others might know a decent priced alternative.

D

Deleted member 4366

Hello, the charger for my Powacycle Salisbury seems to have died, no red light, no green light....nothing, have checked fuse in plug, it's o.k......is there anything else that I can do ?........Del.
If it's screwed together, open it up and look at the end where the wire comes in to see if there's an internal fuse - usually the glass see-through type, but could be different.

hannibal

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2009
Hi,

Presumably over a year since you bought it? Even if a bit more, you might still be able to argue for a replacement. My own charger failed a couple of days after purchase and Powacycle couriered a replacement exchange very quickly.

By the way, having just successfully replaced a fuse in a failed Powacycle battery (thanks to advice from this forum), this might be something to attempt, if exchange is not possible.

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
If all else fails, there's this one on Ebay that should do the job for any 36v lithium battery. You might have to cut off the connector from your one and join it to the wires of this one.
Electric bike charger for 36v Li battery type | eBay
Dave its 24 volt. Also I have the same bust charger here and never found a fuse or anything burnt in it and theses things are 80 summit quid trade + VAT+ carriage

D

Deleted member 4366

You don't need to pay £80 for any charger. That 36v one is actually adjustable if you know what you're doing. You can set it to whatever charge voltage you want (from 12v to 60v) by turning a couple of presets inside. Alternatively, you can buy a 24v one from BMSBattery already set at the correct voltage for about £12, but the shipping cost is high if that's all you buy. They even let you choose which connector.
Alloy Shell 120W LiFePo4/Li-Ion/Lead Acid Battery EBike Charger - BMSBATTERY

If it's 24v lithium battery, you can get a charger from Kudos (Versatile spares) for £18.50 that'll work.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4366

So what's the charge voltage? Many 24v batteries are actually 26v or thereabouts. 24V Cyclamatic is 7S5P, which is actually 7 x 3.7 = 25.9v. Charge voltage is 29.4V - the same as many lithium 24v chargers.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's the same as that Cyclamatic, 7 x 3.7 volt cells, nominal 25.9 battery volts, so charge voltage in the 29/30 volt region is correct.

D

Deleted member 4366

So we only need to confirm the charge voltage of the Kudos one and he's home and dry for £18.50. I can't believe that people are selling standard 24v chargers for £80 +VAT. That's not far off the price of a new battery with charger. I guess some people don't know any better, so they pay it.

Del 80

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2012
Lincolnshire
Had a look inside charger, no fuses that I can see, and no burning or anything, double checked power is getting through to charger with the old light bulb test.....it is, d8veh, like the sound of £18.50, much better than £80....that seems way too expensive.......Del.

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
This is how I came to buy a Turnigy as I could not find a 24 volt lipo charger. Never thought of Kudos :rolleyes:

Del 80

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2012
Lincolnshire
It says on charger, Model GM-240200.......Input.100V-240VAC...50/60Hz 1.0Max....Output.29.4V - 2.0 A ....this means nothing to me, as I am not to good with electrics.......Del.

D

Deleted member 4366

Here's the limk to the Kudos charger.
.: Kudos Cycles - e-bikes with style :.
Give them a ring and ask them to check the charge voltage. I'm pretty sure it'll be right because the battery looks to be the same as the Cyclamatic, and, as I said before, they're nearly always 29.4V. You might have to cut the connector off your charger and put it on the Kudos one. If you need any help with it, post again nearer the time. It's very simple to do.

Del 80

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2012
Lincolnshire
Rang Kudos today, strange really, as they answered as Raliegh something or other, anyway, the guy said they don't do a charger for the Cyclamatic, so back to the drawing board.....E- bikes direct have them for the Salisbury for £60........Del.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Del, give our workshop a ring. I'm certain we have a 24V 3 pin charger kicking around from the days when we sold 24V bikes. If we can dig it out you're welcome to it for a small sum to cover postage and packing.

Workshop: 01663 308 409

D

Deleted member 4366

Rang Kudos today, strange really, as they answered as Raliegh something or other, anyway, the guy said they don't do a charger for the Cyclamatic, so back to the drawing board.....E- bikes direct have them for the Salisbury for £60........Del.
Ypu've got a bit mixed up. You were supposed to ask for a charger for a Kudos Versatile, which is the one for £18.50.

Anyway, just as well because the one from the kind Juicy guys might be cheaper. In the meantime, can you describe the connector on the end of your charger lead. There's three main types: 3 pin with a metal shroud around; 6mm jack, which has a hole up the middle; RCA, which is about 12mm diameter with a pin in the middle.