Powacycle Charger Problem

Del 80

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2012
Lincolnshire
AHA....The plot thickens, removed battery housing, and looked at wires to ''male'' part of plug.......red wire solder broken, wire held on by just small rubber sleeve, obviously causing it to make intermittent contact,......too fiddly for me, so job for a guy at work on monday......are'nt E-bikes marvellous ?......Del.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Well done for finding that Dell, finding the problem can sometimes be the harder than the fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Del 80

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2012
Lincolnshire
Me again, If a battery is fully charged, and you put it on charge again, will it go thruogh the whole cycle again ? or will it automatically cut out ?.........Del.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It will automatically cut out, it will never attempt to overcharge. The battery's own BMS ensures this.

hannibal

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2009
Sorry, just catching up with this thread.

When my Powacycle battery failed, the charger also did not work (no lights came on). I assumed (correctly, as it turned out) that the battery was the problem - not the charger. And a quick fuse change in the battery fixed it.

So - just to underline what has been said before: with this kind of problem, check the battery first.

Del 80

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2012
Lincolnshire
Thanks hannibal, all fixed now, thanks to Bob at JuicyBike, I checked the battery and it is O.K. new charger now in use, the connections were very poor between charger and battery, and must have blown something in charger............Del.

Del 80

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2012
Lincolnshire
Just an add on to this thread, do chargers just ''die'' or do they gradually give up? I ask because since using new charger, battery seems to be performing much better, done about 20 miles since last charge, and still have 3 red lights on top of battery, this has never been known before, it usually goes down to 2 red lights very quickly, this leads me to assume that old charger was ''quietly fading away''........Del.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Just an add on to this thread, do chargers just ''die'' or do they gradually give up? I ask bacause since using new charger, battery seems to be performing much better, done about 20 miles since last charge, and still have 3 red lights on top of battery, this has never been known before, it usually goes down to 2 red lights very quickly, this leads me to assume that old charger was ''quietly fading away''........Del.
Chargers don't normally slowly die. They either work properly or not at all. Most likely, you dodgy connection broke contact when it was warm so you battery wasn't getting fully charged. Glad it's working properly now.

As a general rule, you should re-charge every time you use the bike, not wait for the battery to go empty. Not only will you get more power, but it's also better for the long life of the battery.

Last edited by a moderator:

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
Just an add on to this thread, do chargers just ''die'' or do they gradually give up? I ask because since using new charger, battery seems to be performing much better, done about 20 miles since last charge, and still have 3 red lights on top of battery, this has never been known before, it usually goes down to 2 red lights very quickly, this leads me to assume that old charger was ''quietly fading away''........Del.
Mebe as I have one here thats only giving 20 volts out, it has yet to be dissected.

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
Mebe as I have one here thats only giving 20 volts out, it has yet to be dissected.
I've had 3 chargers fail. The first one became reluctant to charge, the green light would come on way too soon and the voltage increased to around 45 instead of 42. It then died completely. Second one just died a couple of minutes after being plugged into battery. Third one switched off too soon one day, and died the next day. I think the output read only 3v, and the positive and negative kept switching around!

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
. Third one switched off too soon one day, and died the next day. I think the output read only 3v, and the positive and negative kept switching around!
Was it a Powacycle? as Ive said before 'possessed, work of the devil'. :p

Del 80

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2012
Lincolnshire
Hello to all, Well just over a year since this thread was started.......and charger has failed.....it is dead....have checked fuse in plug, it is o.k......anything else I can do ?......or does it mean another new charger ?...........Del.

steve nicol

Just Joined
Jul 5, 2014
hello there, i have a silly question! ive looked and cant find answer. what light am i waiting to go green? is it the one of the power pack or of the battery its self?