Powatryke

Kiteman1502

Just Joined
Apr 24, 2011
I have a Powatryke which is 10 years old. It has developed a fault which causes the motor to run on switch on and the throttle will not control it. When I say the motor runs, it makes a noise which sounds that it is running but it does not turn the wheel.
I suspect the PCB has developed a fault.
I have been given a new unused control unit from another type of Powabike but the connecting cables are different. Is it possible to adapt this module.
The markings on the case are : AK0902170182 and 36Y-18AP.

I have been unable to attach photos of the module for some unknown reason.

D

Deleted member 4366

I've never seen one of these, but assuming it's got a 36v brushed motor: any similar controller that has the same voltage, the same connections (throttle, pedal sensor etc) and is for a brushed motor should work. If the connectors are not the same, but have the same number of wires to each (3 throttle, 3 pedal sensor, 2 motor, 2 battery), just cut off the connector, swap it for the other one and join the wires. It sounds like your controller is kaput. I had one that did the same on a scooter, although my motor was actually turning.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I have been unable to attach photos of the module for some unknown reason.
Are the photos on your PC? Can you right click on one of them and tell me the following:

What type of file is it? e.g. .JPG
What size is it? e.g. 1.57 mb or 1,656,098 bytes

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

New brushed 36 volt speed controller on Ebay under £20

36v 500W Speed Controller Box Electric Bike Scooter | eBay UK

It also can be the brushes in the motor worn out 10 years old

Powabyke have the new circuit board for £65

they will sell new brushes

Powabyke Spares & Accessories, Buy Spares, Upgrade and Accessories for your Powabyke on-line : Electric Bikes & Electric Scooters

details for them

Powabyke EV Ltd.

Phone: 01225 443737

Email: sales@powabyke.com

can any member Give us a link on how to change the brushes

Frank:cool:

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I am curious about this: are electric trykes legal? do they need number plates insurance etc?

D

Deleted member 4366

I am curious about this: are electric trykes legal? do they need number plates insurance etc?
Same rules as bicycles except that they are definitely allowed 250w and can be heavier - up to 40kg.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

Yes the are totally Legal 250 watt motor 15 MPH same rulings as Pedelec Bikes

Make a Brilliant way off shopping or for those off you who fall off 2 wheels Such as my Wife

also for Disabled Persons Step Through and 3 stable wheels

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Xipi: I saw advertised (currently out of stock) Justwin twin seater electric trike. Is it treated same as e-bike?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry to correct, but the UK weight limit of 40 kg for solo e-bikes is increased to 60 kg for e-trikes. The EU doesn't have a weight limit at all for trikes at present.

They can be any seating arrangement so long as they have three wheels and are pedalled.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Flecc, re Justwin twin seater electric trike: Can I put my wife on the back seat and ride without helmet and insurance (like in Vietnam)?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc, re Justwin twin seater electric trike: Can I put my wife on the back seat and ride without helmet and insurance (like in Vietnam)?
As long as it weighs less than 60 kg and it probably does, yes, you can treat it as an e-bike and not wear helmets.