Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 11, 2010
Reviewer:Torquayite

Purchased From:powerpedals, South Molton, Devon

Purchase Price:£950

Time Owned:eek:ne week

Local Terrain: Very Hilly

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths: Well built. Motor benefits from gear changes. Disc brakes. Looks.

Weaknesses:Weight.

Summary:
I am over my three score years and ten, and Torquay, like Rome, is built on seven hills, with me living at the top of one of them.
Despite having owned a bike which is used when I go abroad with my campervan, I have never been able to use it in Torquay.
Down to the sea front would be easy. Getting back would be impossible for me. So electric seemed the answer.
I tried a rear hub motor bike, and found my feet were going round way too fast at quite moderate speeds, plus the motor "came on" even when I didn't need it.
So I tried the rather odd looking "Compy" bike with the motor between the pedals.( Odd to an oldie like me....others find it delightful !)
What a difference.
For a start I can have no assist, or three choices of level of assistance, and the rack of gears on the back wheel has a wide range similar to an ordinary bike, so when on the level I can cycle with leisurely pedal rotation.
Up hill, if the motor finds it tough to keep me going, I can change down and the motor receives the benefit just as the cyclist would, hence I can keep going up hills which would be impossible with other systems.
Down hill I can go as fast as I dare, the motor not slowing me down. In fact, I bless the front and rear disc brakes, because no way would I trust the old-fashioned pull-up brakes to halt me safely.
I have even bought a skid lid for the first time in my life, as I find I am traveling much faster than I expected.
The suppliers seemed friendly and helpful, assuring me they will be happy to assist if I have any problems.
The battery, a lithium polymer rear rack fitted unit, seems powerful and not as heavy as the lith ion variety. So far, eight miles of 50% hill cycling seems to result in one green light on the battery level display going out. No idea how far one could go without recharging.
I am looking forward to better weather and longer rides, and I will report any good or bad results as I gain experience.
If you have not taken the plunge, please do try a bike with this motor system. It's a cracker.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Congratulations on your new bike Torquayite, there's no doubt that drive-through-gears bikes are best for those wicked Devon hills when there are limits to what the rider can provide. The Panasonic unit powered bikes are also popular there for the same reason.

Your motor system looks very similar to the one Yamaha used on their e-bikes for many years, and since I'd never heard of the Powerpedals comapny before, I suspect they may be using that design. No bad thing if so, since it was a well tried, reliable and respected system.