PowerTrek Dynamo

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Early days yet but having commissioned the battery a good number of times I`m amazed at the power this bike has and I`m glad I went for a 36V Li-ion battery set up. I never seem to be able to run it down and whilst commissioning the battery had to set it up with the rear wheel off the floor and just run it.
So! fit and finish is in general as good as a decent Japanese motorcycle (which is really all I have to compare against) Running gear is the standard Shimano stuff that now adjusted after the running in period and correct lubrication of the chain etc is just silky smooth and quiet. disk brakes are now bedding in nicely and have good feel to them( very positive with good progresive feel) Tyre grip superb especially during this spell of bad weather.
Paintwork and general ironmongery seems well up to the job. The pedal assist seems to be sorted just about right and i never seem to need any of the lower gears which sees me getting around rapidly. Being a rear wheel hub balances the bike nicely with positive steering. No rattles or noise so far.
I`ve made a few mods over the standard equipment, new wide full SKS mudguards (very muddy lanes out in the sticks where I live)and have added extra mudflaps to keep crud down and away from the important parts like the battery, controller and crank sensor. I`ve fitted an extended threadless stem riser to get more of the weight away from my wrists and fitted better ergon grips and a handlebar mirror. Tried several saddles but am now breaking in a leather brooks saddle that I know will make sense in a few more hundred miles:D
I`ve added a decent set of panniers and a handlebar bag to carry my cameras around when required. Front sprung forks do the job a treat giving just the right amount of teeth saving support without losing any of the positive feel.I am considering a second battery for when the weather gets better and I go further but the more I ride the bike the more I think that the existing battery should do very nicely.
Conclusion: What can I say! I`ve added a few parts as i mentined above to bring a couple of things more in line with expectations but I can`t say that I can fault anything as yet. Unfortunately I only found this forum after making my purchase and was amazed to find so many different makes and combinations available in the market place and then realised that there were some market leaders who appear to offer a very good after sales and back up service which is a thing i would normally go for given the peace of mind that comes with that but I must say that I`ve now met a number of other E bike riders out and about and the Dynamo seems to hold it`s ground well with anything and i seem to have less niggles than the average. Obviously time will tell but at around £600 and in comparison with what I spend on decent camera lenses etc and the enjoyment and freedom I`m getting I just can`t fault the outlay. I`m now getting fitter and in the summer should be able to alternate between my MTB and the E-bike which should help to put off a battery replacemnet a bit longer.