Presteigne 2011

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
Hi.

I'm considering going to the Sunday event at Presteigne. Do any of the retailers who attend this event offer discounts on the day?

If so have you any knowledge of who will offering such?

Thank you.
Regards
vectra

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi.

I'm considering going to the Sunday event at Presteigne. Do any of the retailers who attend this event offer discounts on the day?

If so have you any knowledge of who will offering such?

Thank you.
Regards
vectra
Hi Vectra

I think retailers and Manufacturers tend to 'do deals' at the event. We'll be bringing some ex-demo's with us which will be keenly priced!

Hope to see you there

Mark

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
50cycles won't be attending this year, so if you're planning to go to Presteigne to try out a Kalkhoff you'd be better off visiting either our London or Loughborough showrooms, or arranging a test ride with one of our local demonstrators.

When we enquired about attending, the Onbike guys informed us that they only planned to invite their suppliers this year, so that ruled us out (though the exhibitors list would seem to contradict that).

A bit sad, as we were one of the original two or three exhibitors back in 2006 and had supported the event every year since then, but that's business I suppose.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A bit sad, as we were one of the original two or three exhibitors back in 2006 and had supported the event every year since then, but that's business I suppose.
That is sad Tim, changed from a universal e-bike weekend to a restricted one. It's likely to reduce the attendance.

As well as you being among the original exhibitors, you repeatedly provided the winning bikes in the early race events.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
That first year was far and away the best - there was an actual full-throttle race through the streets of Presteigne which brought a win for David Henshaw and third place for Peter Henshaw, up against a Swissbee; very apt and funny commentary from Ian Marchant; fine weather and a friendly, pioneering ethic among the exhibitors - being us, Powabyke and Wisper if memory serves. A lot has changed since.

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
50cycles won't be attending this year, so if you're planning to go to Presteigne to try out a Kalkhoff you'd be better off visiting either our London or Loughborough showrooms, or arranging a test ride with one of our local demonstrators.

When we enquired about attending, the Onbike guys informed us that they only planned to invite their suppliers this year, so that ruled us out (though the exhibitors list would seem to contradict that).

Tim
Thank you for your very interesting response. My wife and I were planning to go and now; as a result of your information we will not now be attending.

Much as I like some of the OnBike products I was hoping that a serious buyer would meet with some serious competitive deals on the day. It seems not! Seems like OnBike has lost at least one potential customer!

Thank you.
Regards
vectra

Apr 19, 2011
Annual Ebike Trials (not Presteigne)

Tim
Thank you for your very interesting response. My wife and I were planning to go and now; as a result of your information we will not now be attending.

Much as I like some of the OnBike products I was hoping that a serious buyer would meet with some serious competitive deals on the day. It seems not! Seems like OnBike has lost at least one potential customer!

Thank you.
Regards
vectra
Likewise!... I had assumed it was open to all and was planning to take some Haibike XDuros for people to try. It may also explain why a "Pete" has not replied to my email re arrangements for traders.

FYI, following feedback from youtube video of some local lads riding a Haibike UP Aldeburgh Town Steps ( HAiBiKE eQ X Duro FS conqures Aldeburgh Steps, captured on YouTube. at LEV Ltd. ) we are thinking about making it an annual timed trial... a competition open to one and all.

Rgds,

James

Apr 19, 2011
Competition is good, fear not, hug your enemy, etc, etc

That is sad Tim, changed from a universal e-bike weekend to a restricted one. It's likely to reduce the attendance.

As well as you being among the original exhibitors, you repeatedly provided the winning bikes in the early race events.
It reminds me of that questionable self-appointed organization BEBA... we've been trying to join for years but they wont have us... I like competition, it helps everyone learn, but some clearly don't.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
I suppose that also means the Storck Raddar/cosworth will not be displaying at Presteigne.

Fortunately, Avro Vulcan XH558 will almost certainly be displaying at Abingdon Air show on the same day.

No contest! :D

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
It reminds me of that questionable self-appointed organization BEBA... we've been trying to join for years but they wont have us... I like competition, it helps everyone learn, but some clearly don't.
Hi James

We hadn't been accepting memberships due to the company not being formally registered and no bank account. We are however welcoming them now! We also have an event inside Westminster on the 9th of May and if you want to become members are welcome to exhibit.

Drop me a mail: markl@ultramotor.com and I'll give you further details

Thanks
Mark

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
No I think the Storck will be there...this is what happens when events like this are no longer run by non-neutral people / organisations....

Apr 19, 2011
Hi James

We hadn't been accepting memberships due to the company not being formally registered and no bank account. We are however welcoming them now! We also have an event inside Westminster on the 9th of May and if you want to become members are welcome to exhibit.

Drop me a mail: markl@ultramotor.com and I'll give you further details

Thanks
Mark

Thanks mark, i was thinking about giving you a ring about the wales show... can i bring some haibikes in under your tent? Not selling, just giving folks a chance to experience and it would be a good oppertunity for me to try your products visavi lev promoting and selling them.

I hear your thoughts re beba, but if its a closed shop beba should make it clear to consumers its closed and not pretend or promote it otherwise. This business deserves better and suppliers and consumers alike are best served by telling it like it is.

with best wishes

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I wont be going either, what a short sighted and miserable attitude from Onbike......An absolute disgrace!

Andy Grayland

Pedelecer
Apr 9, 2008
Tour De Presteigne

I am one of the organisers of Tour De Presteigne and also a director of OnBike so would like to explain the actual position with regards to Tour De Presteigne.

First of all I should say that we have been organising the event for five years. Pete started the event well before OnBike was formed. In fact we set up Onbike as a result of TDP. People kept asking us “what is the best bike for me “because of our extensive knowledge of the electric bike market gained from running TDP and also telling us their complaints/problems with existing suppliers.

We have always promoted the exhibition and events to be open to all even our competition. This is especially difficult as we do not have the manpower to run the event and demonstrate bikes ourselves. OnBike does not have the manpower and resources of some of the larger companies. So effectively we put on an event where our competition sell bikes whilst we organise rides, talks, races, kids bikes, bands, street performers, electric cars, driving lessons, food............. for guests.

Secondly TDP takes an awful lot of organising. There are only 3 main volunteer organisers all of which have full time jobs. It takes months to organise. I personally have been up past 2am every day this week answering emails and sorting out paperwork for the event. I estimate that last year I spent over 6 working weeks helping organise the event and I am sure I do less work than the other organisers. What people don’t realise is the entire background organisation. For example road closers, insurance, invoicing, planning routes, poster, press releases, stewards, parking. When the event takes place I spend a good proportion of my time resolving “petty politics” and problems with and between exhibitors. I could go on and on hear.
So this year we had to either stop the event or down size it. It would be a shame to finish the event as so many people attend and enjoy it. It is the only events of its kind in the UK and every year we get many letters thanking us for our efforts. So we decided to reduce the exhibition to one day (with the Saturday being a 50 mile group ride as last year’s group ride was such a success). We also had to limit the number exhibitors which has been growing every year as has the job of administration. We decided rightly or wrongly to only invite the companies we regularly have contact with and/or work with on other events or promotions. Fortunately we do have a good group of companies that all work well together even though some are in competition with one another.

It is nonsense to say we have excluded all our competition. For Example Ultra motor are exhibiting and taking part in the 50 mile ride and we do not sell their brand.

For a full list please see Tour de Presteigne - The World's Premier Electric Bike Rally

We have tried for several years to encourage some of the larger companies, which have much greater resources, than ourselves to organise a similar event in another part of the country. We have even offered to help but no one else has taken up the challenge as yet.
In short I think that before people criticise the event they should try organising something similar themselves. It is always so easy to sit on the sidelines and criticise than to get involved. I wish them every success and offer my help.

Tour De Presteigne still has the greatest choice of bikes shown at any event I know of in the UK. It certainly has the greatest number of events for visitors.

We may not get everything right but we are certainly trying and doing the best we can.

Thank you to the thousands that have attended in the past and enjoyed the event.

fatts

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2009
west wales
hear, hear,
I organise various events events through out the year re electric bikes, environmentalism, recycling and Bmx Chariots racing mostly on my own and the odd helper now and again for which I am grateful.The events attract from 50 to 20,000 people and it is a thankless job sometimes.
See you all at Presteigne.
Fatts
The Crazy bike man:)

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
I am one of the organisers of Tour De Presteigne and also a director of OnBike so would like to explain the actual position with regards to Tour De Presteigne.

We have always promoted the exhibition and events to be open to all even our competition. This is especially difficult as we do not have the manpower to run the event and demonstrate bikes ourselves. OnBike does not have the manpower and resources of some of the larger companies. So effectively we put on an event where our competition sell bikes whilst we organise rides, talks, races, kids bikes, bands, street performers, electric cars, driving lessons, food............. for guests.

Hi.

I accept your arguments on the logistics of organising such an event however I also believe that OnBike legitimately expects some serious sales to take place as a result of the day hence it is a huge marketing opportunity for any retailer. So it won't be all organising events, cakes etc!

Your reasoning, in my bold italics, appears to show your mindset as to why others such as 50Cycles have not been invited. It's a shame and much as I appreciate the work required in order to put the event on; your reasoning lessens the event and indeed the reputation that Onbike has built up. As a potential customer I need the opportunity to experience some good old fashioned marketing and competition. It appears I won't get this opportunity at Presteigne. I won't therefore be attending.

Why exactly won't 50 Cycles be there?
Regards
vectra

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Rather a pathetic argument I think...If you cant handle it, charge a reasonable amount for stand space (one that will show a profit) and employ an event organiser and staff and turn it into a proper inclusive show.. Looks like its down to someone else to get involved? BEBA perhaps may make a successful job of it...

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
In short I think that before people criticise the event they should try organising something similar themselves. It is always so easy to sit on the sidelines and criticise than to get involved. I wish them every success and offer my help.
The challenge is set! Andy, you've obviously poured blood, sweat and tears into this - regardless, it ought to be a good event still. Would be great to be able to replicate your success around the country, perhaps over the summer :)

A BEBA run event has been discussed before here: http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/7652-beba-electric-bike-day.html

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Kudos are launching their UK range at Presteigne

Hello everyone. Kudos Cycles will be launching their UK range(12 bike styles) at Presteigne-a sample of every bike will be there excepting the bike HERO-if you look on Kudos Cycles :: e-bikes with style our provisional brochure is available to download. We think our rrp to be very competitive but we will be offering an additional generous discount to the first 20 buyers. Our parent company ,namely Rally Design will also be taking 6 cycles to the National Kit Car Show at Stoneleigh Park Warks on Sunday May1 and Monday May2.
Elsewhere on this thread i spotted a manufacturer who said he had been denied access to the event because he wasn't an On Bike franchise. I must say that Andy has been very supportive of our attendance at Presteigne.
Look forward to seeing all those who have wished us well with our new KudosCycle project.
Don't forget to check out our LIFEPO4 spare battery prices.
regards
Dave Elderfield
MD,Kudos Cycles

Last edited:

Dennis

Just Joined
Nov 13, 2006
Hello All
As the founder of Tour de Presteigne I am really sad to discover this negative thread going on but for some reason I'm still reluctant to air 50cycles dirty washing in public. Suffice to say Tim knows perfectly well why they are not invited and I hope that doesn't stop anyone else attending. Here is a rough programme of events.

Event Programme

Saturday 7th May
This year’s event will start with a meet at the Workhouse Cafe on the Presteigne Industrial Estate at 9.30am on Saturday morning then a circular guided 50 mile ride into the Welsh Hills will leave at 10am. There will be maps provided and a back up car will follow the route round in the afternoon in case of breakdowns. Expected return time to Presteigne is around 4pm. (Entry is £5)
Please note there will be no bike show on the Saturday.
In the evening at 9pm 'Luke, Mills and Jackson' will be playing music in The Dukes Arms, Broad Street , Presteigne.

Sunday 8th May
At 10am on Sunday the bike show on the Presteigne Industrial Estate will start. There will be opportunities to ride and buy, a wide range of electric bikes including EBCO, Raleigh, Daum, eZee, Ultra Motor, Flyer, Batribike, E-Motion, Wisper, Kudos & Storck plus many other suppliers. (Entry is free)
River Simple, the innovative Ludlow hydrogen fuel cell car designers, will bring their latest prototype, a city car that looks every bit as exciting as the Morgan fuel cell prototype they showed in 2009. Also the nearby National Cycle Museum will mount an exhibition of some of their exotic vintage bikes. In addition there will be stalls from many of the local enviromental groups and a first showing of the all electric B-Bug car.

At 2pm sharp there will be an event that will take in some of the fabulous Border countryside on a 10 mile orienteering competition. Competitors will all set off at the same time from the The Workhouse Cafe and will be given a map with 3 local landmarks they have to visit. The first person to get back to the start will win the magnificent Tour de Presteigne trophy designed by world famous artist Andy Hazel. This ride can be either be taken at a mad dash or a gentle amble! (£5 entry fee)
The legendary Tour de Presteigne round the closed streets of the town will form up in Broad Street at 4.30pm, for the ride around the closed streets of town. The ride is open to both electric and normal pedal cycles with all participants in fancy dress, and will start at 5pm. This year there will be a £50 cash prize for the best outfit. (£5 entry fee)
As usual it will be MC’d by the famous Radio 4 broadcaster and writer Ian Marchant, who will be actually performing songs with his band Your Dad while the event is in progress!