Presteigne

danieldrough

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2007
Devon
Hello all

I'm hoping to go to Presteigne again this year as I had such a great time last year.Anybody else definitely going?

I went to visit a friend in Leicester recently and so went to 50 cycles and tried an Agattu. It was very good, better than my Twist in every respect. I stopped off at Avon Valley Cycles in Bath on the way home and tried the Airnimal fitted with the 250 watt Bionx. It was the most enjoyable bike I have tried to date.(I have tried all the major bikes with the exception of the Heinzmann) Lovely to ride unassisted too. I didn't have time to try it on steep hills, but around the city it was marvellous.

Steve

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Hello all

I'm hoping to go to Presteigne again this year as I had such a great time last year.Anybody else definitely going?

I went to visit a friend in Leicester recently and so went to 50 cycles and tried an Agattu. It was very good, better than my Twist in every respect. I stopped off at Avon Valley Cycles in Bath on the way home and tried the Airnimal fitted with the 250 watt Bionx. It was the most enjoyable bike I have tried to date.(I have tried all the major bikes with the exception of the Heinzmann) Lovely to ride unassisted too. I didn't have time to try it on steep hills, but around the city it was marvellous.

Steve
My Agattu is a joy..A pity you couldn't try it out on the hills. I regularly commute to the Uni up very steep North Road and it is a doddle.. The bike basically transforms a steep or very steep hill into moderate hill. Some effort required but muscle strength quickly builds up to make it an easy 1.5 mile climb.

bw
musicbooks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nice system though it is, the BionX 250 watt isn't too brilliant on hills, and certainly not up to Bath's worst, though the 350 watt one if you import direct is more capable. Neither will perform as well as the Panasonic motored bikes on the very steepest hills though, where drive through the gears will always win.

Phresh

Just Joined
May 2, 2008
Surrey
My Agattu is a joy..A pity you couldn't try it out on the hills. I regularly commute to the Uni up very steep North Road and it is a doddle.. The bike basically transforms a steep or very steep hill into moderate hill. Some effort required but muscle strength quickly builds up to make it an easy 1.5 mile climb.

bw
musicbooks
Ive heard this regarding hills too.

JohnofCambridge

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2007
Stapleford, Cambridge
Daniel,

I too was there last year and will be there this year. Hoping to take my wisper down too, although bit of a challenge given its size!

Last year proved two things. Most electric bikes are waterproof. My shoes were not.

John

Tintaglia

Pedelecer
May 23, 2007
Nr. Newquay, Cornwall
Daniel,

Last year proved two things. Most electric bikes are waterproof. My shoes were not.

John
We are planning to be there this year on the Saturday with our Lafrees. Last year proved that none of our "waterproofs" were waterproof although the bikes coped better than we did. I don't remember being that wet since I was a kid and at one point my teeth were actually chattering yet we still had a great time. Look forward to meeting you all :)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Borrow one of ours!

Daniel,

I too was there last year and will be there this year. Hoping to take my wisper down too, although bit of a challenge given its size!
Hi John

I am sure we could let you have a go on one of the new generation 905's. We will be showing the 905eco with the new AKM 200w motor, 905 City and 905se sport.

Best regards David

stevebee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 9, 2007

faphillips

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
London SE
I shall be there on my Nano Brompton (my sister lives in the centre of Presteigne) and the weather now (7pm Tuesday 13 May) looks quite good for the whole weekend Metcheck.com - Global Weather Forecasts - [Updated on 13 May 2008 at 19:00] - Weather Feeds - Live Data - Long Range Weather Forecasts.

Not intending to pedal much on the tour as its a good opportunity to find out just how many miles I can get from a 7 Ah Li Po battery without pedalling and if that runs out within the hour (unlikely)from my 2.6 Ah powertool battery as well. I'll probably come last but so what as I wouldnt come anywhere near the front even if I pedalled frantically as I only have 2 gears.

See you there

Francis

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Looking forward to it!

I'll be there this year too, me and my OH. Hopefully we will get to try out as many different bikes as possible so that our erm, 'shopping list' takes good shape :D

Is there an order by which you have to go by to try the bikes out (do you have to book a slot), or is it a first come first served basis??

John

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
I'll be there this year too, me and my OH. Hopefully we will get to try out as many different bikes as possible so that our erm, 'shopping list' takes good shape :D

Is there an order by which you have to go by to try the bikes out (do you have to book a slot), or is it a first come first served basis??

John
Hi John, it's usually a bit of a free for all!! However test rides generally start off pretty quiet then people get more confident and ask if they can have a go and before you know it you have half a dozen people waiting!! Obviously this is weather dependant!

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
Is anyone coming from Gloucestershire or going through/past Gloucestershire to get there? I'd like to go as I have access to a car for the weekend but I don't think I could handle going by myself as it feels completely daunting to go to a remote part of the country on my own, so if I could meet up with someone going there (like follow them there) or someone there I'd feel much happier, I can find social situations very difficult to handle at times because I have Aspergers Syndrome - but get me talking on a subject I like (computers, electronics etc.) and the nerves can go away.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Haku

If you find it a little difficult approaching new people come and have a chat with Doug or I about ebikes. We would make you most welcome. Make your way to the Wisper stand and say Hi. I am the short fat one, Doug is the tall fat one :D !

Sorry we don't come past you.

I see they are predicting sleet for the Saturday evening now :eek: but no rain on the Sunday! We will see.

Best regards David

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
I'm still unsure of going or not, I'd like to but think I've left things a bit too late on the organising side of things, like not booked anywhere to stay so do I drive home at night & drive there in the morning etc., since getting internet access at home 12 years ago (still using the same main email address) my confidence has grown and meeting new people isn't like what it was but the main worry I have is driving there (passed my test 1st time no faults) because it's 'unknown territory', if I could follow someone there I'd be able to cope.

BTW, BBC - Weather Centre - 5 Day Forecast in Celsius for Presteigne, United Kingdom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
my confidence has grown and meeting new people isn't like what it was but the main worry I have is driving there (passed my test 1st time no faults) because it's 'unknown territory', if I could follow someone there I'd be able to cope.
I think that in your situation and with your love of technology you'd appreciate a sat-nav device Haku, taking away the uncertainty as it speaks you through any strange route to a destination you enter. They are getting very cheap now, and it's a very safe way to drive, no peering at vague road signs etc.

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
I'll be there on Sunday, will have to get up at death hour to be in Cheltenham for 8am where Urban Mover will be taking me the rest of the way, specifically getting a lift with Keith because he wants me to ride my UM36 in the rally. I've put the throttle restriction back on so I'll be riding road legal, plus I've almost finished my new bike lighting setup - 60 LED front light is simply amazing at night.

Just hope I manage to get enough sleep because recently I've been going to bed at 5-6am... thankfully someone invented Red Bull & dextrose tablets :D