Prices of the electricity we use to charge

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
It will never happen, we've been through all this before, well over seventy years ago and probably before your time.

Then back in the 1950s we were told that automation would rob us of all our jobs so similar would happen. The opposite has happened, we haven't enough people to do all the jobs and have to rely on immigration from backward countries.

Like automated car driving, in 2018 we were being told in this forum that by 2020 no Tesla would have driver controls. Once again it's the opposite, Tesla were forced to admit their self driver system is level 2 only, driver assist, not level 5 fully automated.

As Robert Burns wrote in 1785, “The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry”.

He was only partly right, they always go awry.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20240519_125815[1].jpg

thrust vector fan cooling :p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'd much prefer being charged 0.0p/hr!

Yesterday Octopus have yet again claimed that the certification period of my dumb electricity meter has expired, needs to be replaced with "Smart"; mentioned OPSS records.

"This is called a certification date which is set by the Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS)"

In preparation for this harassment, a few weeks ago I asked the Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS) for information about the certification period of my electricity meter. The OPSS replied:

"The team are unable to check any records on if there was any changes or checks from when the meter was first installed in which your suppliers should have this recorded.

If you are having troubles with support from your suppliers, we would advise to contact the Ombudsman in order to build a case against your suppliers."

I've requested Octopus prove the certification period of my electricity meter has expired. If they can't provide proof, I will contact the Ombudsman.

From my cold dead hands! They'll never take my dumb meter alive! Even if they force install a smart meter, I'll cover the damned thing with foil, to foil it's communications! It'll be made dumb by gum!

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20240519_132405[1].jpg

washing machine on, i nicked the 10 year warranty as well :eek:
20240519_133054[1].jpg

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
washing machine on, i nicked the 10 year warranty as well :eek:
Warranty of the solar panels? Display? Inverter? Washing machine warranty? Which warranty have you nicked and how?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
council paid for inverter and got tards to fit a outside inverter in the fkn attic where metal melts and it has to be regesterd within 6 months of install or default 5 yeAR WARRANTY

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20240519_155420[1].jpg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

"New virus variants threaten a summer Covid-19 wave, but experts say the risk remains uncertain"

"Singapore braces for COVID-19 surge with over 25,900 cases recorded in a week; govt urges citizens to wear masks"

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
just did the electric bill £57.53.

20240520_194950[1].jpg

more cooling more export :p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
council paid for inverter and got tards to fit a outside inverter in the fkn attic where metal melts and it has to be regesterd within 6 months of install or default 5 yeAR WARRANTY
In days gone by, the guarantee advertised for a product was what you got - produce a receipt as proof. What's with all this newfangled having to register malarkey?

just did the electric bill £57.53.

View attachment 57808

more cooling more export :p
I'm experiencing solar envy. o_O

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well a 3rd party installer that knows what they are doing is coming to asses my install but with no cooling it cant export because it is boiling its balls off :rolleyes:

it wont last 5 years up there in that heat let alone ten and could void the warranty as the most stupid place you could put it and it is made to go outside.

it does the same as a crap book pro thermal throttling so it does not catch fire :oops:

m8 lives in a 1 bed flat and works nights and i beat his bill as well :eek:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I'd much prefer being charged 0.0p/hr!

Yesterday Octopus have yet again claimed that the certification period of my dumb electricity meter has expired, needs to be replaced with "Smart"; mentioned OPSS records.

"This is called a certification date which is set by the Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS)"

In preparation for this harassment, a few weeks ago I asked the Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS) for information about the certification period of my electricity meter. The OPSS replied:

"The team are unable to check any records on if there was any changes or checks from when the meter was first installed in which your suppliers should have this recorded.

If you are having troubles with support from your suppliers, we would advise to contact the Ombudsman in order to build a case against your suppliers."

I've requested Octopus prove the certification period of my electricity meter has expired. If they can't provide proof, I will contact the Ombudsman.

From my cold dead hands! They'll never take my dumb meter alive! Even if they force install a smart meter, I'll cover the damned thing with foil, to foil it's communications! It'll be made dumb by gum!
Hi guerney

I got defaulted to Octopus after my energy company went bust, and do actually quite like them.

I got a similar email about my electricity meter needing replacing.

I ignored it and will ignore any other emails, as like you, I like my dumb meters.

I am sure from their point of view it is a clever way to install more smart meters.

I really would not worry, as they cannot get access to your house without your agreement.

I believe that no provider can currently force a change of meter on you and that you are entitled to still ask for your dumb meter to be replaced like for like with another dumb meter. I am sure if you made this request the emails from Octopus would stop. There might even be a case for insisting that they replace your out of date dumb meter with another dumb meter to close the door on this route by energy companies to install a smart meter and future proof to some extent a new government legislating that dumb meters have to be replaced.

Smart meters work for the energy provider not the customer and at the moment seem to have quite a lot of reliability/accuracy issues.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I believe that no provider can currently force a change of meter on you and that you are entitled to still ask for your dumb meter to be replaced like for like with another dumb meter. I am sure if you made this request the emails from Octopus would stop. There might even be a case for insisting that they replace your out of date dumb meter with another dumb meter to close the door on this route by energy companies to install a smart meter and future proof to some extent a new government legislating that dumb meters have to be replaced.
They can get at my electricity meter because it's outside my front door, so's my gas meter. The gas meter is behind a motice locked shed door, the electricity meter is behind an easily accessible plastic panel on the wall, which can be opened by one of those cheapo plastic triangle keys.

We're supposed to be able to get new dumb meters installed by energy companies, but I've read they simply claim they have none in stock. I hope Octopus will offer to install a dumb electricity meter, or smart meter set to dumb mode. If it isn't dumbed, it will be after many liberal coverings with layers of aluminium foil and large anti-static motherboard bags, and I'll continue to send them meter readings as I am now, paying cash or by card, not via Direct Debit plus an irrational arbitrary extra fleecing for what I might use next year - there's no sense my giving them seemingly ever increasing sums of extra money by Direct Debit they can profit even more from.

BTW while you're here, if you could upload high resolution scans of your magic British Rail worker free/discount pass, making sure all uniquely validating barcodes, photos, numbers and names are visible for me to print, that would be marvellous. Plastic surgery and a deed poll name change, is cheaper than train fares.

Last edited: