Prices of the electricity we use to charge

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Ebico was excellent when I joined in 2007: no standing charges, flat rate, cheap, truly great service. Alas no longer - received this today. Abandoned to Octopus! Oh well, at least I've convinced Octopus to accept cash now, instead of Direct Debit - that only took 3 months. That there are no other "not for profit" energy companies is saddening.

Hi there,
We partnered with Octopus Energy in 2021 to bring good value and sustainable warmth to Ebico Living customers, with the best-in-class customer service they deserve.

We’re proud to have delivered in that mission — whilst maintaining a 5 star rating for our customer service.

Looking ahead, given the great changes in the home energy market, we have concluded that our home energy supply offers are no longer the most effective means for advancing our social and environmental objectives.

So, from 31st March 2024, Ebico Living will be withdrawn, but you’ll continue to be served by the experts at Octopus Energy, as an Octopus Energy customer with Octopus Energy continuing its good work in renewable energy and customer service.

How will this change affect me?

You don’t need to do anything
You’ll continue to enjoy the same level of service and value you have come to expect — Octopus Energy has just been awarded a record 7th year as a Which? Recommended Provider.
The contact details you use today will continue to work, so it will be just as easy to get in touch.
As a not-for-profit social enterprise, supporting UK households to cut costs and carbon remains our central purpose at Ebico.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your support as an Ebico Living customer and we know that Octopus Energy offer you a warm welcome.

Kind regards,

The Ebico Living team

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
get that company i linked to to change ur meter and then pay nothing as it is ur meter and only 300 quid.

no contract no bill :eek:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
get that company i linked to to change ur meter and then pay nothing as it is ur meter and only 300 quid.

no contract no bill :eek:
When the national grid can eventually prove you're using electricty, why wouldn't they estimate what you owe and charge you with theft?

Someone I know didn't pay his electricity bill for 15 years - they could never find the meter because he'd hidden it behind wall panels. He was a business customer. They eventually sent in a crack team of engineers, then charged him for 15 years supply at current prices. Bankrupt. He's moved to Portugal.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
edf does not pay the national grid so why pay it you rent there meter and income tax pays for the electric so you are not nicking anything.

plenty of ppl are doing it like i said no contract no bill why rent there meter when you can pay to have ur own one fitted, watch the Richard vobes vid on it.

worst that can happen is they fit another pre pay meter and another 300 quid to get rid off it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
edf does not pay the national grid so why pay it you rent there meter and income tax pays for the electric so you are not nicking anything.
:D :D
if you don't pay income tax, are you still not nicking anything?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you pay it so i dont have to :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

open one of those and dont pay any tax every one else does it apple ect

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i still get free electric in prison :D

Reactions: MikelBikel

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

plenty of ppl are doing it like i said no contract no bill why rent there meter when you can pay to have ur own one fitted, watch the Richard vobes vid on it.

worst that can happen is they fit another pre pay meter and another 300 quid to get rid off it.

Whoa this is a long video. Had to skip parts, especially when she expressed strange fringe beliefs... but essentially the plan is to get your own meter installed, go dark in terms of revealing any information and having any information about your ownership or/and occupancy of the property revealed, prepare your bunker and get into the mentality, never pay and the worst that can happen is, they can force their way in with a warrant and install a pre-payment meter with a load of debt on it... after which you can remove it again, ad infinitum. Let us know how it goes?

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
wont have to do it till 2026 but i can just stop paying anyway as there not allowed to fit a pre pay meter and after 6 years can get rid of it and start again :p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

open one of those and dont pay any tax every one else does it apple ect
I'm not trying to avoid paying tax, like anyone else I could use Bitcoin, Etherium, Monero etc. and a bunch of tumblers tranferring small quantities to make conversions and ownership untraceable for that. I wanted to stop Octopus removing whatever the hell they like from my bank account every month, using their non-transparent estimate system, removing extra for energy I might use next winter... and I think I've succeeded by insisting they accept payment in cash! Yesterday, I withdrew £100.56 from an ATM and paid in cash for last month's actual energy use at a Paypoint, instead of £165 being dragged out of my account kicking and screaming. £64.44 extra! Every month! For energy I MIGHT use next winter! I can afford it, but it does seem many people can't and become trapped by their energy supplier, unable to switch because when they try, they discover their final bill includes weird estimates amounting to massive debts. My very elderly neighbour for example: after giving his final meter readings while trying to switch suppliers, he was slapped with a massive bill and is still paying it off after ending up with a pre-payment meter. Some people I know are paying hundreds fo pounds more every month by direct debit. I'm certainly not jumping through hoops while begging to apply for my money to be returned to my bank account, and I object to my money being used by Octopus to invest without giving me a cut of however they profit by doing so, with my money. For all I know they're investing in odious Space X, which is filling up the sky with space graffiti satellites, obscuring our view of extinction event asteroids, burning my oxygen and poisoning my air in the process. There are no beaches on Mars.

Octopus told me they'd cancelled the direct debit, but after logging into my bank account I discovered it hadn't been, so I've cancelled it. If they object, I'll want to know why. It's not always true that you can manage monthly direct debit payments using their website, that feature was blocked for me, despite being in credit - as soon as I saw that something snapped. If energy companies want to operate as crap banks you can't easily withdraw your money from, they should be regulated as such. :mad: They don't even pay you any interest on your "savings"! Why the hell aren't they regulated by the FCA?!??!!?

Last edited:

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"The NHS is to introduce electric ambulances, raising concerns that its drive for net zero is being put above patient safety."

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Octopus allows one to change the monthly D/D amount online in the payments section.
I'm a low energy user and typically winter is about £60 - £70 a month but they wanted me to pay £102 per month to build up a buffer , I disagree with this as it only makes them money via interest profiteering . Millions of people overpay to energy companies purpetuating the profiteering .

I currently pay them £72 p/m and my account is £200 in credit so I shall have to reduce the monthly amount again though one can only change the amount once per month. I don't mind it being £100 in credit but £200 is getting a bit high now .

The con from these companies is that they fool people into having large excess credit to even out payments over a year, the money is better earning interest in my account then their's.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Octopus allows one to change the monthly D/D amount online in the payments section.
My post was rather long, you might have missed this bit:

It's not always true that you can manage monthly direct debit payments using their website, that feature was blocked for me, despite being in credit
It did work once though, last year.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have changed my payment amount four or five times now, eventually when my solar and wind farm credit payments are applied to my energy account I plan to reduce the monthly payments down to about £30 p/m.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have changed my payment amount four or five times now, eventually when my solar and wind farm credit payments are applied to my energy account I plan to reduce the monthly payments down to about £30 p/m.
I can only tell you my experience: my account has always been in excessive credit, and the only time I varied the monthly direct debit amount, was to see if it worked. It worked once. Rather than beg/apply to get my money back, I'll underpay them in cash in future. The least I can pay using cash or card at a Paypoint, is £2.

Since when did people start needing a credit check before being accepted by energy companies anyway? Octopus state the only method they will accept is via direct debit - that excludes rather a lot of less well off people, who presumably are offered pre-payment smart meters by someone else, which energy companies profit even more from. Energy companies have had everything stacked in their favour from supply to delivery for far too long.

Last edited:

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
20240316_144546.jpg
I guess it's to replace the one they dismantled to expand their coal mine?
How very green! :)
chart.jpeg
Ireland 2022 from SEAI
(no figures for politicians emissions & hot air, maybe it's the gaps in the graphs?)
:)

Last edited: