Prices of the electricity we use to charge

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm thinking more about these big OLED touch panels they have to operate things like lights that are hidden behind pages of menus instead of a simple switch.. Even my car has one of those, mainly for secondary functions, like GPS and radio. It's really difficult to use on the move, just to switch between radio and GPS so that you can change stations.
I couldn't agree more, it's one reason why I would never buy a Tesla 3 which even has some normal dashboard functions on its huge centre screen. My Leaf has a centre screen but I'd never operate it on the move. Fortunately it doesn't need me to.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
I'm thinking more about these big OLED touch panels they have to operate things like lights that are hidden behind pages of menus instead of a simple switch.. Even my car has one of those, mainly for secondary functions, like GPS and radio. It's really difficult to use on the move, just to switch between radio and GPS so that you can change stations.
YES.

The thing I hate about my new car (973 miles covered so far) is that the damned thing attempts to correct my steering if I move towards a lane marking. It actually alters the car's line!!!

My first car was a 1960 Morris 1000 (850 cc really) which I bought when I was a student in 1973/It had about 75000 miles on it and it was completely worn out.I had to buy another engine from a scrap yard and fit it myself. Luckily the new engine cost me a fiver so even in my impoverished state I could buy it and only had to starve for a short while to pay for it. If someone had told me of the way modern cars would be, I doubt I would have believed them.

On mine you can change stations on the steering wheel with a small digital thumb wheel on the left side. You can also swap to other menus such as gps from a wheel on the right side of the steering wheel. I did try using the centre console touch panel and found it extremely distracting, so I know what you mean. Won't do that again and generally leave the gadgets alone and focus on driving and the road.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Now that I'm paying for only the energy I actually use, not extra for what I might use in future, because I now pay Octopus by card or cash, not direct debit... they're lying about my non-smart meter being too old. My particular meter is certified for 35 years.

...so I've told them to prove their assertion that my meter has "reached the end of its certification period". They're supposed to offer me a non-smart meter at reasonable cost, if indeed they have any to install.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20240402_203700[1].jpg

they think we are all stupid my new one will say propty of soundwave and fook ur standing charge and the bill as well :p

and even if they fit one as it coes under data protection you can force them to turn off the smart part and still give meter readings.

or get a phone jammer :p

and if you have a meter like that if you unscrew it from the wall and tilt it up from the bottom it will stop counting, going round :eek:

20240402_204629[1].jpg

like that

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
View attachment 57083

they think we are all stupid my new one will say propty of soundwave and fook ur standing charge and the bill as well :p

and even if they fit one as it coes under data protection you can force them to turn off the smart part and still give meter readings.

or get a phone jammer :p
I'm paying less every month by card or cash, and I want that to continue - I'll resist until they force the issue with a court order, which doesn't worry me because my meters are outside... then I'll demand they put the smart meter into dumb mode... and if they refuse, I'll cover the meters in several layers of tin foil, like the hat I wear... then manually submit meter readings as I do now, and continue paying less every month, instead of padding their pockets with my money for them to profit further with, without giving me a cut. I've already got bank accounts, I don't want their crap non-regulated version which requires me to apply to get my money withdrawn from. They won't be surge pricing me! :mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: MikelBikel

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Data protection and personal information complaints tool

ring pussy up and get it halted for 6 months then do the same again until it has to get replaced or 3rd party's will keep trying.

and then say when the time comes they can come remove there meter and go as dont want there service anymore and will replace it with a meter you bought 300 quid fitted!

Reactions: guerney

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Now that I'm paying for only the energy I actually use, not extra for what I might use in future, because I now pay Octopus by card or cash, not direct debit... they're lying about my non-smart meter being too old. My particular meter is certified for 35 years.

View attachment 57082

...so I've told them to prove their assertion that my meter has "reached the end of its certification period". They're supposed to offer me a non-smart meter at reasonable cost, if indeed they have any to install.
Don't you want a smart meter. It allows you to go on one of their smart tarrifs. Get some batteries, then you can buy all your electricity at the cheap rate and sell some back to them when the rate is high.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Don't you want a smart meter. It allows you to go on one of their smart tarrifs. Get some batteries, then you can buy all your electricity at the cheap rate and sell some back to them when the rate is high.
Once many people do that, they'll tweak their algorithms or sabotage the process somehow to shaft you, plus train AI, but in ways which don't raise legal red flags, to profit even more from their captive market with little choice among large players.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Once many people do that, they'll tweak their algorithms or sabotage the process somehow to shaft you, plus train AI, but in ways which don't raise legal red flags, to profit even more from their captive market with little choice among large players.
If you get your batteries now, when they start shafting you, you can get some solar panels and a wind turbine, then stick your finger up at them by going off grid.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If you get your batteries now, when they start shafting you, you can get some solar panels and a wind turbine, then stick your finger up at them by going off grid.
They about to shaft you!

That's a good point. I just got notification from EDF. They put up the standing charge, so even if I use less electricity, I still have to pay more.
They're out to shaft you any way they're allowed to, increasingly in a large number of ways and smart meters enable many of the means. I hate smart meters for reasons too numerous to type out. If one gets force installed in my home, it'll rapidly be made dumb.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
But he'd have to be nuts to be storing their electricity. Their electrons might spy on him while he was putting them up in his batteries. He doesn't have that tin foil hat for nothing you know.

I expect they will convert his meter to 'pay as you go'. That way, in the end, he will pay more. Fair enough really, because the way he is operating with them, he is wasting their money in mad communications and chasing him for the money for what he has already used. There were always different rates for those who paid a quarter in arrears. The direct debit rates are always the cheapest.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

no one has to pay for anything worst case is they fit another smart meter and then another 300 quid to get it removed.

and plenty of ppl doing it my edf contract dies when the service life of the meter does i have signed nothing :eek:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
no one has to pay for anything worst case is they fit another smart meter and then another 300 quid to get it removed.
I'll cover it with a large anti-static bag or foil saving £300 and making it dumb as far as servers awaiting transmitted data is concerned, then manually submit meter readings as I do now, and pay Octopus by card or cash, paying less again every month, without their extra for no good reason.

Last edited:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
A very nice indian lady phoned me the other day to make appointment to fit a smart meter. I pointed out that my house has 3ft thick stone walls in an area of intermittant mobile signal. It was obvious that the import of this information was lost on her. So I explained why and asked to be taken off the list, which she agreed to do. They won't off course because the government is giving the companies ** for not fitting enough meters. Funny how they can't give em a rocket for overcharging or making the tarrifs and bills so bloody incomprehensable.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its a fkn digital clock u never bypassed the electric,its not hard lol i took my hole fuse box apart trying to find out wtf was wrong with my inverter.

thats a fkn nightmare :eek:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
A very nice indian lady phoned me the other day to make appointment to fit a smart meter. I pointed out that my house has 3ft thick stone walls in an area of intermittant mobile signal. It was obvious that the import of this information was lost on her. So I explained why and asked to be taken off the list, which she agreed to do. They won't off course because the government is giving the companies ** for not fitting enough meters. Funny how they can't give em a rocket for overcharging or making the tarrifs and bills so bloody incomprehensable.
you got to do it every 6 months got to ring edf on 8th aug to reset mine ;)

or 3rd party nob heads will start trying it again but tbh we are on a priority list so they can not fit a pre pay meter and after 6 years the debt is statute barred anyway.

i cant loose and 14k up already as bill was not paid from 2016 -2023:p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Lol - Octopus have just now replied:

"Unfortunately, we do not have access to specific certification dates for individual meters."

So why did they say meter certification has expired?!?!? They lied! They have no proof! They also said:

"I can assure you that we will not force you to have smart meters if you do not want them."

There's no mention that I'm supposed to be given the choice of a dumb meter. I bet that's not the last I've heard about their need to install a smart meter in my home, so they can make ever more money.

I'm going to write Octopus a really stinky email and complain to Ofgem about their initial lie, after I've obtained meter certification expiration dates.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my smart meter kicks edf ones ass as i can monitor the solar array all there shitty thing does is report the usage atm.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
my smart meter kicks edf ones ass as i can monitor the solar array all there shitty thing does is report the usage atm.
If I was an energy company, I'd use smart meters to record the supply looking for fingerprints of all plug-in devices used, how they're used and when, to sell to interested companies or organisations which make, sell, or monitor device use.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
income tax pays for all of the electric what you pay is just fraud same as council tax ect

ring pussy up and say i want to know every part from ur house that they own from the power station it comes from and everything connected to it in-between.

if they dont own the fkn cable then how can they charge me for there electric they dont make and comes from the national grid paid for via income tax.

and i need a new cable as been there since 1950 ffs :oops: