Prices of the electricity we use to charge

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

that means my prefab home will be demolished.

Dear Stroud District Council,

please could provide me with any data regarding this press release and what it would mean to homes that wont meet epc rating of of c buy 2028 that the council own as it looks like Hardwicke is in the renewal area from 2031-2051

Stroud and the Forest of Dean are expected to provide 23,580 and 18,240 new houses by 2051

does sdc have any idea where these homes are to be built and when or where this process will start?

if a Tennent has to be decanted from a council propty how much notice does sdc have to give the Tennent in that situation.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/ne...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

The authority has already taken steps against him under the new measures, declaring him “vexatious” over his “incessant communications” and diverting his emails to councillors to their junk folders.

The new procedure allows the council to limit communication with any parishioner it considers to use abusive language, send too many emails or voicemails, or question the integrity of councillors or the clerk.

Mr Fairchild said: “It is four pages of trollop. This is solely geared against me because I am still in contact with them.

The entire parish council resigned in 2022 after dozens of his complaints were upheld, forcing Breckland Council to parachute in three new members.

:rolleyes:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

The authority has already taken steps against him under the new measures, declaring him “vexatious” over his “incessant communications” and diverting his emails to councillors to their junk folders.

The new procedure allows the council to limit communication with any parishioner it considers to use abusive language, send too many emails or voicemails, or question the integrity of councillors or the clerk.

Mr Fairchild said: “It is four pages of trollop. This is solely geared against me because I am still in contact with them.

The entire parish council resigned in 2022 after dozens of his complaints were upheld, forcing Breckland Council to parachute in three new members.

:rolleyes:
They can simply accuse you of shouting during phone calls, when you're not but it suits them to accuse you, and that would be enough for them to reject all your phone calls... which is why I record all of my phone calls to keep as proof - I do so in the hope I can elevate complaints somehow if needed. Council are accountable to someone.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
that's a foi request i now have 7 and one for internal review ;)

D

Deleted member 16246

Those loops you can see in the image of the sun are coronal mass ejections throwing out billions of tonnes of the sun's material. The solar wind made up of this material was hitting the earth's magnetic field at 988 kilometers a second on Friday when I took this picture not long before midnight. I've never seen the Northern Lights before.

Mars had a reasonable atmosphere, was mildly warm and had oceans until two billion years ago. After that, the sun's tantrums and constant stream of energetic particles stripped away its atmosphere. As it lost pressure, the water evaporated away and the planet was left as the cold lifeless desert that we see today.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY
D

Deleted member 16246

Mars lost its atmosphere because it is smaller than earth. It cooled down inside, so unlike earth it no longer had a molten iron core spinning around and generating the magnetism that shields us from the sun's energetic particles and makes pretty purple stripes in the night sky. This left it vulnerable to atmospheric loss.

Reactions: POLLY and Woosh
D

Deleted member 16246

That article gave me a headache.

I am not sure that it is the actual 'space' that is expanding. It seems to me more logical to think of space as infinite emptiness that happens to be populated by matter. In the context of the discussion of the article about why the stuff that is most distant from us is emitting red shifted light, I just see that that 'stuff' is accelerating away from the rest of the stuff nearer to us. Why it should be accelerating, and how it gains that speed, is unexplained.

One solution I have come up with (which is probably wrong) is that we know the majority of the universe is so red shifted that we can never ever see it. The web Infra red telescope has been so revolutionary BECAUSE it looks at wavelengths of light (red shifted light) that were in visible light when they started out, but are now no longer visible to us or to the Hubble telescope and needed an infra red telescope to see them. There is a vast amount of stuff we can not see, so I was wondering if the accelleration the conspologiusts are so excited about is perhaps caused by the gravitation of the vast invisible mass of galaxies beyond even infra red telescopes and detectors. This would pull on the galaxies that we see as the most distant, and draw them away (accelerating them).

To my simple minded thinking, this may explain the expansion of the universe we can see. It is being drawn away from us by gravity of the unseen infinite universe beyond our instrumentation. Expansion solved? I don't know.

The other thing is that I suspect the cosmic microwave background radiation may just be the very heavily red shifted light from the unseen radio universe.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am not sure that it is the actual 'space' that is expanding. It seems to me more logical to think of space as infinite emptiness that happens to be populated by matter. In the context of the discussion of the article about why the stuff that is most distant from us is emitting red shifted light, I just see that that 'stuff' is accelerating away from the rest of the stuff nearer to us. Why it should be accelerating, and how it gains that speed, is unexplained.
there is no simple way of explaining why space expands other than by observations of red shifted light from very old objects, usually distant galaxies. The usual way is via Einstein's general relativity.
Sabine Hossenfender's video is probably the easiest to follow.The problem with recent observations of very old galaxies by JWST caused a bit of a controversies because they look well formed such as spiral galaxies, therefore we assume they were formed a long time before the age we would assess them by their red shift. However, there are a number of other interpretations such as dark matter stars, including our methods of ranging cosmic age and distance. I prefer PBS Spacetime videos though.

Reactions: POLLY and Tony1951
D

Deleted member 16246

there is no simple way of explaining why space expands other than by observations of red shifted light from very old objects, usually distant galaxies. The usual way is via Einstein's general relativity.
Sabine Hossenfender's video is probably the easiest to follow.The problem with recent observations of very old galaxies by JWST caused a bit of a controversies because they look well formed such as spiral galaxies, therefore we assume they were formed a long time before the age we would assess them by their red shift. However, there are a number of other interpretations such as dark matter stars, including our methods of ranging cosmic age and distance. I prefer PBS Spacetime videos though.

Thanks for the link. I will look at that later. I have all my sons and families coming round soon. Don't see them all at once usually as one of them lives a way off and only comes up occasionally.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Our galaxy contains about 100 billion star systems. There are estimated 2 billion such galaxies in the observable universe, though we can only observe as far as the light can reach us from the big bang. The universe may well extend beyond what's observable. It's definitely big. The latest reckoning is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 star systems in the "observable" universe.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Our galaxy contains about 100 billion star systems. There are estimated 2 billion such galaxies in the observable universe, though we can only observe as far as the light can reach us from the big bang. The universe may well extend beyond what's observable. It's definitely big. The latest reckoning is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 star systems in the "observable" universe.
there are probably a lot more stars than 10 to the power of 24 in your reckoning. The first question is how many earth years does a photon live. It could well be that when a photon dies, it turns into dark matter which may have formed zillions of primordial micro backholes. It always fascinates me that light can't escape a backhole yet gravity can.

D

Deleted member 16246

The more you go into this stuff the more you think yourself lucky to have had a few years of existence walking about on this planet in an incomprehensibly vast and ancient universe.

I was explaining to my grandson this morning that every atom in his body had come from an old star that went off as a supernova billions of years ago, and certainly longer ago than 4.5 billion years when our solar system formed. All the heavy atoms such as carbon and oxygen, and calcium and all the rest which make us up that are not hydrogen, could only have been formed through nuclear fusion inside a star and many of them need the pressure of a supernova to be formed. As someone said, (Carl Sagan) "We are made of star stuff."

To be fair, since we are mostly by weight made of water and since water is made of hydrogen and oxygen, we do have a lot of hydrogen in us that did not need to go through nucleosynthesis to form heavier atoms. He was also quite tickled by the idea that all the water in him and which he drinks was made before the earth and sun and all the solar system formed.

On the numbers of stars and galaxies:

Over the years the numbers given out are changing quite a lot. It used to be said that our galaxy has a 100 Billion stars, but the current estimate has gone up a lot to 400 Billion. The reason being that the most common stars are red dwarfs and they are smaller and dimmer than our sun (a yellow M type dwarf star) and because they are dim, they mostly went un noticed. The nearest star to us, Proxima Centauri, is in the Alpha Centauri group of three stars and you can't even see it without a telescope.

As for galaxy numbers, that calculation is changing massively too, because we have better and better telescopes coming online. And saneagle's point about 'the OBSERVABLE' universe is important too, because ultimately, even with the most amazing telescopes, most of the universe can never be seen because it appears that space is expanding at a bizarre speed so the light from these very distant parts can never reach us. I think most cosmologists are content to have it said that the universe is likely infinitely large and infinitely populated by galaxies and most of them contain billions of star systems - about a tenth of them, stars like ours.

When the Hubble telescope spent a few days peering at an empty patch between the galaxies down a tiny straw like tube as far as its field of view was concerned, it spotted tens of thousands of galaxies that had never been seen before. The James Webb telescope is an order of magnitude more powerful so there are likely limitless galaxies in reality.

When saneagle said above that there were maybe two billion galaxies in the observable universe, he probably meant 2 trillion. That is the current estimate. With so many noughts in this stuff it is easy to lose or gain a few. Mind boggling. :)

Reactions: Woosh and POLLY

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Where's Tony gone - delet or been deleted? Will he rise again as a ghost, like me, except that I wasn't deleted?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
he may have deleted his account himself.