Pro-Connect 2nd range test.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
NEWSFLASH.
Disregard this intitial post regarding mileage on medium setting.
I stripped down and cleaned the bike yesterday and attempted to remove the front wheel with problems.
Notice that the front wheel wouldnt turn that easy.

2 days previously my front brake handle was far too slack, so I tighening it up a little over well.
Found the brakes had been partially applied to the wheel.
It was a quick fix before getting in to work.

for 17miles I had been cycling against a half applied brake on the front wheel.
This could and will have effected to mileage outcome of the Pro Connect.

Sorry all.
I'll start the medium retest next week again and let you know the outcomes.
Bummer.
I'll try and rule out any variants that may effect the test this time.............................................ME !!!

Regards Bob.:D :confused: :mad: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
LOL

You've had us all thinking and postulating. After Coops posting, I had even come to the hypothesis that on High Power that maybe the cadence made a difference, as in that in high power mode, the PCB of the motor expected a lower cadence (as youre supposed to be climbing a hill) than in normal mode and so didnt provide assist at a slightly high cadence where normal mode would (even been trying to recreate your results on my pro-connect)

Cheers Bob

:D :D :D

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Just to add a bit of flesh to the bones...

UPSIDE...

I am in love with my Pro-Connect. It is the bike that my Twist yearned to be. I have them stood side by side in my shed and I am sure the Twist is making lewd advances toward it !!!

It has raised my average speed from 14.9 to 16.5 mph doing my 10.5 mile commute in less than 38 minutes there (downhill), and less than 41 minutes back.

I arrive at work (having used high power all the way in) with 4 lights on the battery, and (so far - 250 miles in - early days) get home still with 2 lights left without recharging anything (I have to recharge my Twist half way which was soooo annoying !! Nothing says 'Technology isnt upto it' as loudly as recharging a battery half way IMHO).

I normally carry about 5 to 10 Kg of stuff in my Ortlieb panniers with me (clothes / tools / sarnies / waterproofs / towel, soap n spray), sometimes more, like laptop, files and large amounts of fruit for our works 'fruit club' (rota based).

So me and my 15st with say 10Kg of panniers get to work at an average of 16.5 mph, normally maintaining 20.0 mph on the flat (8th gear), 18 mph up a 1 in 40 (7th), 15 up a 1 in 15 (6th) and anything between 8mph and 12 mph up a 1 in 6 or less (but never lower than 4th gear). The only time I ever go below 4th gear is when I am behind a stopped car at lights and dont want to put my foot down on the floor, so I 'dawdle' in 3rd.

Downhill on the same route I usually end up at about 22-27 mph, depending on what cadence I want to 'train' at, as I am past the gear range, but it is fun :)

Every regular cycle commuter at work who has tried my bike (including the people who tried my Twist) thinks it thinks it really is a step change in the technology, with a number of the committed regular cyclists who originally asked me "isnt that cheating" asking me on pricing,Cost Of Ownership over the life of the bike, e.t.c. and actually considering (discussing with me) electric for themselves. For these people, I have gone from being an eccentric oddity to amuse a bit, to a transportation revolutionary - although not quite a Che Gavera (lol), which I have to say I prefer :rolleyes: although really I dont care that much (it wouldnt change any of my decisions).

They see the Pro Connect for what it is, a power assisted bicycle, that does exactly that, it assists the rider, it doesnt really compensate for him like a we would expect an ebike would.

When you are 'in the zone' on the Pro-Connect, flying at 20mph, all you can hear is the "sscchhooooo.." of the rubber on the tarmac, and you simply eat up the miles. I used to get passed regularly on my Twist, its only happened once on this bike, and that was by a true road bike, the rider carrying his usual "tiny strapped purse" on his back for fear of weight, and even then I think if I had of put my foot down I could probably have taken him (there was a 1 in 10 approaching, but it was humid tonight,let him off till next time).

The Pro Connect diamond frame bike is a marvel. I find it hard to convey exactly how good it feels to move so fast so easily, and have such a responsive bike in your hands, it just makes it all so simple.

DOWNSIDES

As yet no punctures, so Ive not had to perform my road side repairs. But seeing as I have had no less than 5 punctures in my M+ on my Twist in the last year (a record I believe), I dont think they will be long acoming

Handlebars - At first my hands went to sleep, and I thought that I was on the verge of Carpal Tunnel syndrome (maybe I still am anyway), however I have found that by ensuring that the bar grips are higher that the bar middle (american chopper style ish ish), its fine, no trouble.

Overall I just cant really think of anything bad about it. It a great bike, really it truly is. I am 40 years old, weigh 15st, am not fit, have a day job in an office 10.5 miles-ish from home, and this bike is a car replacement, it forces me to exercise, is environmentally friendy, and it makes me feel good; what more can you ask.

Just my own opinion, of course. (burncycle - you are not alone) :).

John

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
I used to get passed regularly on my Twist, its only happened once on this bike, and that was by a true road bike, the rider carrying his usual "tiny strapped purse" on his back for fear of weight, and even then I think if I had of put my foot down I could probably have taken him (there was a 1 in 10 approaching, but it was humid tonight,let him off till next time).
Aside: it could be my imagination, although I get passed by road bikes too, I've noticed that they often don't often seem to be going quite so fast when they don't know I'm behind them. (of course, I assume when they see what they think is a slow utility bike cruising along ahead of them at a fair clip, it's all Tour de France time to catch up and pass)

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Thanks Scott

Just for clarity though I dont have the step-thru Giant, mine has a crossbar and front sus forks.

I have made a couple of mods to both these bikes, the Pro-Connect now has the 18T (from 23T) sprocket, and the Twist has a 16T (from 17T) sprocket meaning of course that the Pro-Connect can use the assistance further up the gear range than the Twist, however there is more to it than this.

The Pro-Connect is a naturally fast bike. It is perfectly designed as a commuter bike, being fast and light but strong too for carrying your gear. The Twist to me is a perfect utility bike, with its comfort design and practicality throughout, from the handlebars through to the Axa SL7 and the 26" wheels, no maintenance roller brakes and of course its Dutch styling.

Both of these bikes are at the pinnicle of the technology, with fantastic build quality, reliable parts and excellent paint jobs. I think the only major differentiator between them is the battery. The new Lithium on the Pro-Connect is just soo light, with an excellent range compared to the bulky NiMH of the Twist. Mind you, I can still get nearly 18 miles out of it, so its lasted very well indeed (I hope I will see likewise from the new version, but we will see).

John

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi all again,
I got some new test results from the today and this time they are good for a change.

Conditions.
49cm Pro-Connect.
18 tooth rear sprocket modification.
Sprung stem modification.
Male rider (even fitter).
5ft 11inch tall.
13stone 7lbs.
Pannier with total weight of 14lbs.
Total weight 203lbs (excluding bike).
Power setting used High 20%, Medium 30% Eco 50%.

This test run was done in as much level terrain as possible in Sheffield, which was difficult to find. Still clocked up lots of feet ascent though all the same.

Battery to 1 LED flashing.
31 miles with 2,101 feet ascent.

During the ride I tried to use as little assist as possible.....
Eco= flat
Medium= slight to medium hill
High= steep to very steep hill

Im quite surprised by the result by just switching the power levels more to suit the terrain.
The LED's just would'nt go out in the first 10 miles by using this method.
Had a great day out in good weather and learned lots about the system and how I can get better range out of it.
I have been unable to do this during my commute due to time issues.

Conclusion.
Dont leave the bike on a single power setting all the time, if not required for the terrain.
Climbing does really lower the range.

I have noticed that lots of people talk about mileage, but not ascent. This may give people false impressions of the pedelec's bike range from a flat to a hilly area.

Sorry no graph this time as the amount of time I was out would have eaten my GPS batteries.

Hope this is of interest.
Bob

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As I've always said with the Panasonic unit Bob, it takes time to learn how to get the best from it in ever respect, performance and range. It's quite unique in the way it operates and I think it's a bit like a horse and rider partnership, the rider's understanding and skill coaxing the best from the steed.