Pro Connect Disc 8

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
Bought one!!:D
Will be a few weeks until it arrives unfortunately, really looking forward to getting it though and trying it out on the commute. I hadn't tried many bikes before deciding purely down to the lack to try around here but of the 4 I did try this was definetly the best. A little outside my original budget but I think worth the extra. I didn't actually try the 2011 model only the 2010, cant be too different anyway. I'll post up my impressions as a newbie to these when it comes.
blather

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Will be a few weeks until it arrives unfortunately, really looking forward to getting it though and trying it out on the commute. I hadn't tried many bikes before deciding purely down to the lack to try around here but of the 4 I did try this was definetly the best. A little outside my original budget but I think worth the extra. I didn't actually try the 2011 model only the 2010, cant be too different anyway. I'll post up my impressions as a newbie to these when it comes.
blather
I'm sure that you will be delighted with it. It will be a great bike especially for commuting to work on.

RussJ

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2011
You and me both!
Mine arrives tomorrow and I can't wait to try it out on my 11 mile commute into Norwich...
Russ

Norfolk Heatwave

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 6, 2011
I took delivery of my Pro Connect disc a couple of weeks back, up here in North Norfolk, and absolutely love it. Best thing I ever bought, it has helped me get back into cycling at the age of 46, unfit and overweight - I am getting fitter and have lost a few pounds already after some decent journeys. Battery life has been good so far and I am needing less and less assistance as I get stronger.

I may upgrade the cogs eventually for more speed, but am likely to wait until the chain and cogs wear out first. Good luck with yours

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
That sounds pretty encouraging, after only a few weeks! Have considered sprocket changes myself but will leave it a little while at least and see how it goes

rayschooks

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 22, 2011
Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh. NI
Great Work Blather!
From what I read the Kalkhoff bikes are the best you can get in the pedelec world. Their owners all seem to love them and they apparently perform really well for a long period of time.

My local bike shop owner is lending me an Agattu C8 to try out over the weekend. I am going to cycle to work and back to see how it performs (22 miles in total). The Kalkhoff is a fair bit more money than I originally planned but like you I think the greater expense will be worth it in the long run.

I hope your bike gives you years of pleasurable cycling. I look forward to hearing how you get on.
Cheers
Ray :)

deadmonkey

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2010
GL12
I've only been to Enniskillen once but I thought pretty hilly around some of those parts?

It's taken me a few months to increase my fitness with the fairly gentle hills at the south edge of the cotswolds, so well worth getting going before you consider modifications I think :)

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
blather
I've got mine about a couple of months ago.

It seems a good bike but I think it is a bit different from my 2008 PC. I haven't figured out why yet but the drive seems different.
When I got it I was disappointed with the look as it had a 'sit-up' Dutch look and not the sleek look of my previous PC. There was also some movement in the headset which I didn't like.
I eventually realised that the head set wasn't the one shown in the website picture. 50C sent the correct one and now the bike looks much better.
I had a reflector fly off after just 3 miles and it badly loosened a spoke, so if it still has reflectors fitted I would suggest removing them.
One other thing was that the stand screws almost came right out so it is worth checking them for tightness every now and again.

Otherwise it is a nice bike and the ride quality is much improved although I had to fit a suspension post which I think should be a standard fit.
It must be quicker than my previous PC as I am getting to work earlier and my average speed is up 1mph.

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
Thanks Walkerman, hopefully I won't have the same issues you have had, will take your advice on the reflectors on board

Teejay

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2008
NW London
Popped down to 50 Cycles at Richmond a couple of weeks ago to have a go on a Pro Connect Disc. Lovely thing to ride and I was pretty impressed, the new hydraulic discs in particular are, as our American cousins might say, "awesome" - powerful yet controllable.

Two things struck me though:

The power down characteristics have changed. On my Agattu it fades so gradually you don't know when it's gone - on the PC, particularly going uphill in High Power the cut-off was noticeable. One moment it was there, the next at a slightly higher cadence, it was gone and you had to change up to get it back.

The other is that, on their demonstrator at least, they've gone back to 24-spoke back wheels :eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The other is that, on their demonstrator at least, they've gone back to 24-spoke back wheels :eek:
Unlikely on production machines I'd think. Shimano discontinued that hub shell and wheel at the time of the original change to more spokes.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I would also think that this is very unlikely that the production model has gone back to this set-up. I'm sure that WALKERMAN, like me, wouldn't go anywhere near it if it had 24 spoke wheels. I think he has just bought a PC Disk, so I'm sure this won't be the case.

The 24 spoke wheels on the original Pro Connect were a complete disaster. Terrible things.

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I would also think that this is very unlikely that the production model has gone back to this set-up. I'm sure that WALKERMAN, like me, wouldn't go anywhere near it if it had 24 spoke wheels. I think he has just bought a PC Disk, so I'm sure this won't be the case.

The 24 spoke wheels on the original Pro Connect were a complete disaster. Terrible things.
Arghh, Tillson, what have I done.

I've just been out and counted the spokes and there are only 24 :mad:

I had assummed that they would never go back to those horrible wheels that I had so much trouble with on the previous PC.

I have already had a couple of 'pings' on the new bike but just thought I would check the spoke tension.

I'm mega depressed now with the thought of going through all that stress again with loose spokes.

I still have the box it came in. Do you think I could send it back and get my money returned?

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
Ok, you have my interest now, what is the problem with the 24 spoke wheels on the pro connect?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

I had assummed that they would never go back to those horrible wheels that I had so much trouble with on the previous PC.

I have already had a couple of 'pings' on the new bike but just thought I would check the spoke tension.

I'm mega depressed now with the thought of going through all that stress again with loose spokes.

I still have the box it came in. Do you think I could send it back and get my money returned?
Before we panic let's find out if it is a different wheel, having 24 spokes isn't of itself any reason to condemn.

For example, there's no complaints on the BH emotion bikes also using the Panasonic unit, and one of their models has 16 spokes in the front wheel and 20 in the rear.

Double click the photo on this web link to see that.

One Dahon model used Rolfe wheels with 9 spokes.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

Old Chines proverb

Many spokes make light work

sorry My idiot joke

seriously the worst case is to fit 2 new 36 spoke wheels £100

I think the 24 spokes are to save weight and will give more spring on the road

As you said at the beginning off your post

Pro Connect Disc. Lovely thing to ride and I was pretty impressed,

Frank

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

I had 24 spoke wheels fitted to my 2008 Pro Connect and I experienced many problems sourcing replacement parts, and with lose spokes. This was a wheel which was in use 3 years ago and things may have changed. As flecc indicates, this may be a different wheel.

Following my experience with 24 spoke wheels, I would not buy another bike with less than 32 spokes. This is especially so for a bike which is to be used for commuting or touring, where the bike can be expected to carry a luggage load in addition to the rider. I’ve had a look at the link to the BH bike and this is marketed as a Carbon Ultralight high performance machine, so perhaps a lower spoked wheel is appropriate for this bike. The Pro Connect is marketed as a different beast altogether, a touring / commuting bike, so I am sceptical about such a wheel being used for these purposes. The BH bikes which appear to be aimed at similar usage to the Pro Connect, Cross Delux, Urban 700 etc, appear to have the more sensible 32 /36 spoke wheel option. Because the Pro Connect now has disk brakes, the braking forces will be transmitted through the spokes, adding further stress to the 24 spokes.

We were told that 24 spokes were the future of wheels when the original Pro Connect was launched and they turned out to be blizzard of misery for certain owners. Several well known members of this forum commented that 24 spoke wheels were unsuitable for a bike such as the Pro Connect and this was eventually proven correct when the design was changed 12 months later following several reported problems.

All I can say is that my Pro Connect was a bit of a disaster on 24 spoke wheels and since changing to 32 spokes, the bike has been absolutely superb. Getting the manufacturer / supplier to agree to rectify the problem was a painful experience though. In fact, it would have been less painful to have been stripped naked, doused in Tabasco Sauce and then dragged over a 50 metre stretch of broken glass.

WALKERMAN, I don’t know if you can return you bike. You would need to talk to 50 Cycles about that. Would a rear wheel swap be a solution? Because you were one of the people affected by the original 24 spoke wheel, I can understand your concern and I don’t know why they have returned to such a design.

edit

re banbury frank's suggestion: It isn't as easy as just fitting different wheels. The shell of the Alfine gear is likely to have been drilled for 24 spokes. To upgrade it to 32 or 36 will necessitate a new Alfine gear hub which will cost a few hundred pounds. I dion't think you can buy the outer shells and transplant the innards.

Last edited:

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
I have to say I am more than a little concerned considering the amount of money i have just spent!:eek:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

My fault thought it had derailleur gears not hub gears

so yes expensive conversion

You should go back to the shop tell them the previous problem and ask for a refund or 2 new 32 spoke wheels

I now its a lot off hassle but it can be fixed if that is your only fault with the bike

Frank