Pro Connect Disc 8

c_elder

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
Hi

Yes that is why we added our own pic to the spec pages.

I actually prefer the 24 spokes version and never personally had a problem with the 2008 version like all customer apart from Tilson and one other customer ever claimed under warranty and we received no further reports.

There are plenty of Pro Connect owners on this forum, so hopefully you can keep us updated on your experience and enjoy the bike and weathe we are currently having.

Best regards

Scott
Hi Scott

Can I get further clarification? Are you saying that you are showing a different picture of the product than the one you are actually selling? For the record, I am one of the original PC 2008 owners who claimed off the warranty for a 36 spoke upgrade.

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Just to clarify, is this the same as the PC Disk 8 shown here
This picture shows 32 spokes.
Your right, it does. However, if you click on the picture of the bike in a field, that one has 24 spoke wheels.

They must be supplying them with both types of wheel, probably dictated by the availability of parts at the time of manufacture. I suppose it is just luck / misfortune as to which type you get.

c_elder

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
Before we panic let's find out if it is a different wheel, having 24 spokes isn't of itself any reason to condemn.

For example, there's no complaints on the BH emotion bikes also using the Panasonic unit, and one of their models has 16 spokes in the front wheel and 20 in the rear.

Double click the photo on this web link to see that.

One Dahon model used Rolfe wheels with 9 spokes.
Hi Flecc

As someone who has previously worked as an engineer, I completely agree with you that product improvements happen continuously. However, they usually do so through either:
  1. Better design, eg. different shape of spoke.
  2. Better components, eg. a stronger spoke.
  3. Do it completely differently, eg. another type of wheel altogether.

Since, it is clearly is a traditional bicycle wheel and with the same design of spoke, are there now stronger spokes available than ones made from high tensile steel?

rayschooks

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 22, 2011
Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh. NI
Ray
I'd be very interested to hear how you get on this weekend. Good luck
Hi Blather,
Eventually got the bike out for a good run today. Did 24 miles approx on what was an absolutely beautiful morn. I wanted to try the bike out on my daily commuting route and I have to say that I was absolutely chuffed with the way the agattu c8 performed.
The battery meter showed 80% charge and was down to 40% after 11 miles (in 40mins) on med power. I would normally expect the battery to do more but it is still on its first charge (needs a few more cycles before it's fully functioning).
I decided to cycle home on low power to conserve the battery as the cycle shop owner asked me not to let it drop below 20%. No problem and I was even able to crank it up to full power for the last few hilly miles after a short detour to the shop for milk.
The only problem I had was that the hub gear didnt always engage in 8th on the first try. It felt as if the internal ratchet hadn't caught, leaving the pedals with no resistance. This wasnt the case every time and the gears always engaged after 3/4 slow rotations of the pedals. I haven't used hub gears before so it could be me not using them properly! I am confident that it can all be easily sorted.
The bike felt really solid and was very comfortable. All-in all a very enjoyable experience. Battery now on the charger, preparing for the first commute to work. Cant wait! :D
Cheers
Ray

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The gear engagement could be due to an incorrectly adjusted cable. You can easily check this by putting the bike into 4th gear and then looking vertically down onto the rear sprocket. Just inboard of the sprocket you will see a little window with two yellow lines visible. If the two lines are inline, the gears are adjusted properly, if not, you just need to rotate the adjuster where the gear cable enters the selector on the handlebars until they do.

I noted that you also said that you had little experience of hub gears. You do need to pause with the peddling for a moment whilst you change gear.

Which size battery is fitted to the bike? It sounds like you are getting a good range from it.

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
That sounds good Ray, you had a great day for it too!! I'll report on the pro connect when I get it which theoretically should be the next few days

rayschooks

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 22, 2011
Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh. NI
The gear engagement could be due to an incorrectly adjusted cable. You can easily check this by putting the bike into 4th gear and then looking vertically down onto the rear sprocket. Just inboard of the sprocket you will see a little window with two yellow lines visible. If the two lines are inline, the gears are adjusted properly, if not, you just need to rotate the adjuster where the gear cable enters the selector on the handlebars until they do.

I noted that you also said that you had little experience of hub gears. You do need to pause with the peddling for a moment whilst you change gear.

Which size battery is fitted to the bike? It sounds like you are getting a good range from it.
Just checked the gears on the bike - I put it in 4th gear like you suggested and your right - the two lines in the viewing window dont quite line up. I contacted my cycle dealer and he is going to take it in and adjust it. Great tip Tillson. Thank you.

Another great cycle today into work and back 22miles with just two lights off on the battery indicator - it is still only on its second setup charging cycle. The 18AH battery seems to have a good range. I am a rather chunky fellow, 18+ stone (hopefully a lot less in a few months), so I wasnt expecting the battery to have anything like the suggested mileage. So far so good. The Agattu is just a cracking bike.

Ray

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
Before we panic let's find out if it is a different wheel, having 24 spokes isn't of itself any reason to condemn.

For example, there's no complaints on the BH emotion bikes also using the Panasonic unit, and one of their models has 16 spokes in the front wheel and 20 in the rear.

Double click the photo on this web link to see that.

One Dahon model used Rolfe wheels with 9 spokes.
I've had a look at the Proconnect Disc rear wheel and also my 2008 PC this morning and the wheels are different in the way the spokes are laced.

The PC Disc hub is of a slightly different design which has the spokes on one side crossing each other but importantly they do not touch.

However, the 2008 PC with 24 spokes has the spokes crossing each other and touching each other. They are oddly laced because they set-off from the inside hub connection but then go around the outside of the other spoke thus having a bend in them. This explains some of the noises I used to experience and I found that a drop of oil was all that was needed where they crossed.

I would be very interested in feed-back from PC owners with 24 spoke wheels to find out if they also have this peculiar spoke lacing. It is possible that a batch of wheels were incorrectly spoked which would explain why some people had problems.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I understand that they were Shimano wheels originally which were withdrawn from the market, presumably due to those troubles.

The build pattern is all important, far more so than the number of spokes, which is why I said we should not necessarily be alarmed at the return to 24 spokes. Your information bears this out Walkerman, and I've no doubt the new series wheel has been well tested before it's release.