Pro Connect Disc gearing?

RussJ

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2011
My bike had the chainwheel changed to 41t before delivery and I have fitted an 11t motor cog however I still find the bike under-geared for Norfolk and I rarely use the lower 5 gears (apart from starting off!).
The current rear sprocket is 19t and I was wondering if I should change it to a smaller one, say, 17t to increase road speed for a given cadence.
Has anyone tried this?
Any advice as to how far down I should go?
Do I need reduce chain length?
Sorry for all the questions...
Russ

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I had the 18T sprocket fitted to my new PC Disc but I still find my legs are having to go round too much and would prefer to pedal more slowly in top gear so would appreciate some advice as well.

My 2008 PC has the 18T sprocket and I don't have to pedal so much, so I am puzzled by the PC Disc behaviour.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes you can, many have changed these, sometimes down to the 16 tooth minimum which would be fine in the Norfolk area.

Of course the range suffers since the motor assist is operating right up to cutoff at over 20 mph instead of by 15 mph, meaning you are using the battery almost all the time.

Below is a link to the excellent post from member JamesC on changing this:

Changing Shimano 8 speed hub gear sprocket

This does slow the cadence (pedal speed) for any given road speed.

The chain has to be shortened by the appropriate amount, one full link will do for the reduction from 19 or 18 to 16 teeth.

Last edited:

RussJ

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2011
Thanks Flecc, appreciate your quick reply.
I guess I need to use Nexus parts as Alfine only go down to 18?
Russ

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think so, apparently the Alfine hub is the Nexus premium hub from various reports.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
P.S. Wiggle do list a 16 tooth as well, though currently out of stock.

Make sure you get the one for the 8 speed though, as shown below. The older Nexus hubs used only three inner projections (splines).

RussJ

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2011
I dropped into my local cycle shop and as luck would have it they had a 16t Nexus sprocket in stock.
However, my hub/sprocket has only three splines rather than the multiple version you show...
Fitted it and went for a quick blast round the block. Makes a big difference - top gear is now much more relaxed, like an overdrive, and intermediate gears are actually useful.
I'll report back when I've tried it over my commute.
Have a feeling it'll drastically reduce the range though but I'm hoping to cut back on the assistance level as I get a bit fitter.
Russ

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Russ

if you bike now is doing 20 Mph

According to other members on this Forum You are now riding an illegal bike

and will be braking the law

Frank

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Hi Russ

if you bike now is doing 20 Mph

According to other members on this Forum You are now riding an illegal bike

and will be braking the law

Frank
If the assist is now to 20mph then yes you are correct. The difference though Frank is you knowingly sell illegal bikes and conversion kits and allow customers to try them out on the road. So before making comments about forum members put your own house in order and become a responsible supplier.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi NRG all my kits and bikes when we sell them are set to only do 15 MPH

If the customer decides like Russ has to change it . His Choice His Bike

Then like Many other suppliers including the market leader Wisper they had a off road button this is now the norm rather than the exception

The trouble with what Russ has done is there is NO grey it cant be switched in and out

I thought this forum was about informing I let Russ no what he has done to his bike
also other members who are thinking of doing the same

BUT it is still a free country Russ you are bending the rules SO What Good luck Keep on E biking

By the way how many car drivers have modified there cars and not told the insurance company simple things like a nice set of alloy wheels with low profile tires in an accident they will try and get out off paying by saying you have modified the car and not informed us .

How many uninsured drivers on the road probably in th 100 of thousands

I think the police have easier targets than the odd over modified e bike

Frank

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The trouble with what Russ has done is there is NO grey it cant be switched in and out.
Frank
It can, sort of. By treating the higher gears (the ones which cause the motor to assist above 15 mph) as, "off road" gears, the bike could remain legal, I think.

It depends on the wording of the law. If the law says, "capable of assisting" then more than likely ilegal. If it says, "does not assist" then off road buttons / gears could be a bit of a loop hole.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Frank, car manufacturers do not sell their cars with a switch or jumper link for owners to increase the speed or power.

Secondly, Wisper no longer supply the green button or advise on how to install one.
---------------------------------
Posted using Tapatalk :)

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi I did say wisper HAD off road button

But members are still out there bending the rules who bought them when they where sold

also company's Chip the Ecu on cars to increase the power

Then the owners don't inform there insurance company's so the are driving with no insurance

This is more important than the odd 20 mph e bike

But we still live in a FREE country

long live the E bike

Frank

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
also company's Chip the Ecu on cars to increase the power

Then the owners don't inform there insurance company's so the are driving with no insurance

This is more important than the odd 20 mph e bike

But we still live in a FREE country

long live the E bike

Frank
True but manufacturers don't. It's not more important than the odd 20mph e-bike as far as the future regulation of the industry is concerned and besides if it where only 20mph then there would not likely be a problem. But it does not stop at 20mph does it...your own advertising claims speeds well in excess of 20mph: The Future is Today!

The very first line Frank, 28mph...if the industry you so love is to continue with some sort of freedom and flexibility within the new regulations then promotion of such bikes can only do damage in the long run and hurt the industry as a whole.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
We have stopped making bikes with the facility to install an "off road" button as they are both ilegal in the UK and the rest of Europe, I believe Ultra Motor have done the same thing and are no longer producing A to B Metros with the boost button.

Anyone riding a bike that is capable of more than 15.5mph +10% with assistance from the motor is effectively riding an unregistered moped without tax, insurance, MOT and probably without a helmet.

I do believe there is very little chance of being discovered unless a rider is involved in a RTA and the bike is inspected. However I am aware of one such case at the moment and know the police are looking specifically at the top speed of the bike. Unfortunately I don't know what make the bike is, although I have been told it is not a Wisper. If the police discover the bike is ilegal they will prosecute. This will mean a heavy fine, at least 6 points and the possibility of loss of driving licence. The paradox of course is the rider will still be able to ride a legal electric bike!

Even without the "off road" or "boost" it is possible to rig most bikes to break the law. If you are thinking of doing this remember the bike can then only be used legally on private land. for the very little extra speed you will get I strongly recommend everyone to stay legal.

Pedelecs are becoming more and more popular in the UK and we have a very special concession in that as long as Pedelecs are within the law they are one of the only motor vehicles allowed on the road without interference from government.

Let's try and keep negative publicity to a minimum?

Best regards

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Well spotted Frank!

The video is on our web blog along with another showing DaaHub in use.....

YouTube - DaaHub Electric Bike Conversion Kit - a fun intro

I have been so busy over the last few weeks, we have run out of stock of most models now and the next container does not arrive until the end of June, and of those bikes 60% have already been sold!

I am also presenting the electric bike argument along with Mark from Ultramotor and other BEBA members to Parliament on Tuesday so have been working on my speech!

Sorry about the delay in loading all this to Pedelecs, I also need to write something about the new 2011/12 sel range, the ecos and new equipment on the folders.

All the best

David :p

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi David

It would take a mad Cyclist to keep falling off again and again but the Grass is soft not like tarmac mixed with cars and he was trying to destroy the bike I think he did break 3 bikes before this one NUTS I bet there are going to be a lot off takers for the kit with backpack Looks Good Clean GREEN FUN

No noise no pollution

I would recommend some protection like knee and elbow pads just like bmx biking

Frank

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Frank, we hope they will sell well, the expense in creating and perfecting has been immense!

Extreme will be ready for the September shows, we will be offering a 360Wh battery and I think we may offer a 350W motor for serious off road fun, however nothing decided at the moment.

All the best

David