pro connect gear ratios

Genesis750

Pedelecer
Oct 22, 2010
Took bike out for first time today - very pleased - just what I expected. Its a 2009 with alfine 8spd. On the flat I found I was cruising at about 16-17mph - ie just above cut off. I think once I used 4th gear - no lower. I expected this. Am i correct that it is fairly simple to change the motor cog (9 to 11) to give me some light assistance at this speed (16-17). i was fairly happy with the cadence - at this stage - but if i want to peddle faster at the same speed I change the front cog for fewer teeth - yes? and inevitably can the motor settings be "tweaked" to keep the same assist up to cut-off (apart from buying an "S". I did 12 miles, lights on and one light on batt went out - none on controller. many thanks in advance.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Took bike out for first time today - very pleased - just what I expected. Its a 2009 with alfine 8spd. On the flat I found I was cruising at about 16-17mph - ie just above cut off. I think once I used 4th gear - no lower. I expected this. Am i correct that it is fairly simple to change the motor cog (9 to 11) to give me some light assistance at this speed (16-17). i was fairly happy with the cadence - at this stage - but if i want to peddle faster at the same speed I change the front cog for fewer teeth - yes? and inevitably can the motor settings be "tweaked" to keep the same assist up to cut-off (apart from buying an "S". I did 12 miles, lights on and one light on batt went out - none on controller. many thanks in advance.
Yes, you'll get increased assistance at the same speed, but no, a smaller front sprocket reduces cadence and speed so power cut off comes earlier. Change the 9 tooth for an 11 tooth and you'll both pedal faster and raise the road speed for a given assistance, all factors increased by 22%. However, increasing the rear sprocket size at the same time can correct the road speed down again while keeping the higher pedal cadence with the 11 tooth front sprocket. Unfortunately you can only increase the rear sprocket by one tooth to 24 with the standard sprocket range, not enough.

To understand why all this is, you need to know that there is no connection whatsoever internally between the pedal shaft and the motor drive, only the chain connection externally.