Pro Connect stuck in 4th gear!

Neil

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2008
My 8 speed hub on my Pro connect has jammed in 4th gear. The rear wheel is just over a year old. The problem look like it is the gear mechanism and not the cable. Any ideas anyone how I can fix it.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
When you say jammed, what exactly is happening?

1) When you try to go up the gears (towards 8th) are you able to move the handlebar selector or does the cable go tight preventing this?

2) When you go down the gears (towards 1st) what happens to the cable? Does it remain under tension or does it go slack?

3) When you change gear (bike stationary), does the shifter mechanism on the rear wheel rotate?

If the cable goes tight when you try (1) and slack with (2), it could be dirt jamming the selector mechanism. Or it could be an internal failure inside the hub.

Likewise with (3) if it rotates, very likely to be an internal failure, if stuck, dirt or internal failure.

Probably best to do those simple tests first. If, dirt is a possibility and you feel confident to take the back wheel out and strip the selector down and clean it, that would be worth a try. If not, it might be a warranty item.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The shifter mechanism does not move.
There is a mechanism just inboard of the rear sprocket. This rotates and is moved by the gear cable. If this is stuck, then it could be contaminated with grit and general dirt from the road, or as you say, it might be a failure within the gear mechanism inside the hub.

Once the rear wheel is off the bike, it is a fairly simple job to strip down the external rotating mechanism. If you go to the Shimano web site, there is a clear set of instructions detailing how to do this. That would eliminate one of the potential faults.