Proper solder ????

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I have run out of flux cored electrical solder.

I had some delivered by one of my suppliers to my business. It is from "Draper". I don't know what it is but whilst having the appearance of solder, it isn't!!!:mad:

It melts and takes on the form of some sort of soft aluminium putty mush. Certainly no good for electrical work. I'm presuming its "lead free"?:confused:

Is this what I want?

TIN LEAD SOLDER WIRE 60/40 2% FLUX CORE 0.7mm 6 METERS on eBay (end time 22-Jan-11 16:44:04 GMT)

Anyone got a better link (preferably on e-bay 'cos its easy)

Thanks, dave

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
That'll do nicely :)
I bought a lifetime's supply of good old leaded solder a year ago, just to make sure I don't have to resort to the dreadful lead-free stuff.

D

Deleted member 4366

We tried that lead-free solder at school and found the same thing, so we did some experiments and discovered that it needs a much higher temperature to make a proper joint, but it still wasn't easy, so we went back to the old stuff, which is much better for the kids. That stuff from Ebay should be OK.

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
A wee tub of rosin based paste flux or a non-clean flux could assist in obtaining a sound connection.
Dave

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Thanks all. The environment un-friendly stuff ordered. And yes, I always use a bit of flux as well.

Dave:D

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
Now that explains why I could do soldering on my model trains as a kid, but can't solder anything now unless I use a bulky 100w soldering gun.