Prototype Range Rover Sport-e

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Ok, I know this is a cycle forum but we all have an interest in any vehicular transport powered by batteries.

The motoring journalists have been allowed to play a little with Land Rover's new hybrid Rangy which, although offering nothing in the way of groundbreaking technology, illustrates amply what can be done with existing technology. Whether their bean counters will see fit to move the project on to full production or not remains to be seen but I'd like to see more manufacturers doing this as it's a small step in the right direction.

I'm not familiar with adding links on here but I'm hopeful it's as simple as follows: Autocar.co.uk – the online home of the world’s oldest car magazine, first for industry news, car reviews, road tests, videos and more (As in today's edition.)

Indalo

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Certainly viable, Toyota's Lexus division were first with this addition to four wheel drives, theirs on the market for some while now. It will be interesting to see if that other major proponent of hybrid, Honda, introduce it on their off-roaders.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
That looks like a cracking way of getting around the emissions regs, I can't see it making much real difference though.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Yeah just what the world really needs an electric Range rover.......:rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Lexus RX is said to be incredibly "green" for a big 4 x 4, and has very low running costs. At least these hybrid options are a lot better than such as the 5 litre, 10 cylinder monster that VW introduced for a while, before they got ashamed and fitted smaller engines to it.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Looks promising, incredible if it produces 89g/km CO2 for a full fat 4x4, I wonder what fuel consumption will be, hopefully at least in the 40s mpg.

Putting the Chelsea tractor argument to one side, this is good news for those that use a 4x4 for more than the school run, however the rangie will be expensive as usual.

Does anyone know if there is a corresponding increase in fuel consumption with lower CO2 ??

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Does anyone know if there is a corresponding increase in fuel consumption with lower CO2 ??
No, the newest Eco editions from Ford and others also have very low CO2 emissions. Instead they do suffer some loss of performance, mainly less sparkling acceleration.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
No, the newest Eco editions from Ford and others also have very low CO2 emissions. Instead they do suffer some loss of performance, mainly less sparkling acceleration.
I think you answered the question Flecc, but I worded that question incorrectly anyway, it should read:

Does anyone know of there is a corresponding decrease in fuel consumption with a decrease in CO2 emissions?

Just to add that my own Skoda Fabia Estate Greenline 2 has a figure of 89g/km CO2 and an official figure of 83mpg (I'll never achieve that though). Performance is pretty good for a 1.2, 3 cylinder engine, lots of torque in 3rd and 4th gear, acceleration is 0-60mph in 14 secs, but in real world driving it makes very little difference.

MPG is the new 0-60 !

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I think you answered the question Flecc, but I worded that question incorrectly anyway, it should read:

Does anyone know of there is a corresponding decrease in fuel consumption with a decrease in CO2 emissions?
It's more or less a direct relationship. When fuel burns, it produces CO2. The more you burn, the more CO2 you produce. If your engine is inefficient and can't burn all the fuel, then you can have lower MPG compared with CO2, but most engines have got this sorted these days by EFI etc.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just to add that my own Skoda Fabia Estate Greenline 2 has a figure of 89g/km CO2 and an official figure of 83mpg (I'll never achieve that though). Performance is pretty good for a 1.2, 3 cylinder engine, lots of torque in 3rd and 4th gear, acceleration is 0-60mph in 14 secs, but in real world driving it makes very little difference.

MPG is the new 0-60 !
I had a 1.2 Fabia hatch until three years ago and that little engine has great low to mid range torque. Not surprised it succeeds in the "green" role too.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Looks promising, incredible if it produces 89g/km CO2 for a full fat 4x4, I wonder what fuel consumption will be, hopefully at least in the 40s mpg.
It's a bit better than my 386g/km but if mpg was directly proportional then it would have the RR doing 110mpg, there's no way it will achieve that so I wonder where it hides all the extra CO2 when it burns the rest of the fuel?

If they could build a car with independant motors for each wheel that would be good and would greatly increase efficiency.