puncture

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've had so few punctures that by the time I get to use the kit it's well out of date. Must check it again.
I would be the same if it was only the bikes with Marathon Plus tyres, but the trailer's 16" non-MP tyres are a magnet for everything, especially the nearside one running in the gutter detritus.

However with QD dropout wheels on the trailer I have either easy repair or the tube-swap option when it's raining.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I had seen it but this is a contentious subject! :eek:

I've never found the slime type products can be relied upon on bicycles, leaking the slimy mess between tyre and tube when a puncture occurs and oozing out in a still liquid state, making the patch repair very difficult.

The reason is simple, these were designed for tubeless car and m/c tyres where the thick single wall and tread allows plenty of sealing depth. Adapting it to bike tyres meant using it across the movable tube/tyre junction and little thickness for sealing.

Over the life of this forum and elsewhere that is the consensus, but for some reason those who have had it work on an odd occasion or two often post a vehement defence, so I avoid the argument and hope someone else will stick their neck out! :rolleyes:

fishzx7r

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2010
Colchester, UK
Cheers Flecc, as I thought, I could not see it working on tubed tyres fitted to spoke wheel's, but I had to ask,

I never ment to open a tin of worms:rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I never ment to open a tin of worms:rolleyes:
This expression always causes me to smile. When I was 5 years old my mother found an old can full of earth under my bed when she was cleaning and threw it out. I was furious with her for throwing away my pet worms! :D

lessped

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2007
Hi all please forgive an old gezzer but i was trying to repair atube on my old Diamond back and cant seem to get the solution to stick the patch on i do have an old puncture outfit it has to be said ,i did hear that modern tube's might be a different material as opposed to rubber . Seeking enlightenment from any guru's out there ..! :confused:
Thanks for all your kind and thoughtfull comments and guidance regarding my puncture repair prob. i have reached the conclusion after taking in your advice that my solution is well shot as it is over twenty years old i thought it was a little stringy but saying that the tube is also original circa. 1989 so when all is said and done methinks i will buy a new tube if only in the interest of safety once again thanks for coming to my aid ..Cheers n Beers . T.J. AKA LESSPED